Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To wheel or not to wheel

Superkart Pilot Motorhead Racer's Avatar
    Platform
    PC

To wheel or not to wheel

As the title says, I am thinking of getting a wheel, but it is not that simple...

To go with it, I will also need a new desk, a new chair as the pedals may be an issue.. Im 5ft tall, so being able to have it at the right height for the monitor and be able to view the screen at a decent angle.. all the while still being able to use the PC for other functions, I do not see how it will work.
    I have seen some others will a seperate screen, desk etc to one side, but there is no room for that kind of set up..

Really struggling to see how I am gonna make it work!

Platform
    PC
    Make it work! It's worth it!!
    PC: Intel Haswell Core i7 5820K (water cooled); ASUS X99-Pro ATX 2011-3 Motherboard; Crucial 16GB 4x4 DDR4 2400 DIMM; EVGA nVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 1080; TrackIR, ButtKicker Gmr2
    Wheel: Fanatec CSW V2, CSR Elite Pedals; HTC Vive; Widows 10; NVIDIA driver 372.70
    The following user likes this Post: Bulltwinkle

Platform
    PC
    It's definitely worth working out some kind of solution if you want to make the most out of the game. If you are worried about how to get the wheel to the table you could opt instead for something like the Wheel Stand Pro. I have one for the exact reason that I can not get my TX wheel clamped to the table. It works exceptionally well and this allows you to have a wheel in virtually any situation.

http://www.wheelstandpro.com/
    The following user likes this Post: Bulltwinkle

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Do It !!
    The only way you can drive a car properly is with a wheel and pedals !
    I recommend a TM T300rs or the slightly cheaper G27.
    ThermalTake Core x5 . Gigabyte Z390 AorusMaster mb . i7 7900K . 16GB DDR4 3200 ram. Asus ROG Strix RTX2080oc . Samsung 970Pro 512GB . 970evo 2TB SSD . EVGA 850watt PSU . Acer XB271HU G-sync. Win10 64bit .
    Fanatec CSW v2.5 , CSP v3 , Porsche 918 RSR wheel .

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    There is always a way. Initially I used the same desk and chair as I use for the PC. I build a little wooden holder for the pedals to get them at the height and angle that I was comfortable with. I added some little out riggers that went back to touch the molding at the base of the wall so they would not slide under use. They went under the desk so did not take up any space other than they did not allow my office chair to go under anymore, no problem there.

As for mounting the wheel first I tried the keyboard tray but it would move around, I took 2 little c clamps and attached them to either side of the tray slider which stopped the sliding but the tray was not rigid enough and was afraid I would break it off. I then got a couple of boards and used two quick grips to clamp to the desk top and mounted the wheel to the board. This worked well but I have a U shaped desk so would be harder with a normal desk. With that setup when I wanted to drive I would just pull the board with the wheel mounted on it from under the desk and quickly clamp it on either side then when done I would release the clamps and set the whole thing under the desk.

Later I ended up buying a car seat from the junk yard and building a wooden frame to hold it and mounted my wheel, pedals and shifter using my car as a guide for placement of each. It ended up being a bit heavy once the seat, wheel and pedals were mounted so I bought some casters like you would find on the bottom of a bed and added those to each corner so as to make it easy to move if needed. It does take up a bit of space but feels like setting in a real car. I added the adjustable track for the seat as well so the seat slides back and forward plus reclines and all. Makes driving much more enjoyable.

I also added a little console with a padded arm rest on one side and made the wheel mount with a little expose surface on either side so I have a place for to sit my coffee and a place for my mouse or whatever I need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010033.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	206069

I have since upgraded the wheel to a CSR Elite and the pedals to Club Sports
    Last edited by HBR-Roadhog; 04-06-2015 at 17:47.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Ram:16gb DDR4 OS:Win10x64 Pro GPU:GTX 1050 Ti SSD: Samsung 960 Evo M2 HDD: WD Black 1TB
    Wheel: CSR Elite w Clubsport Pedals: Driver: 2.05 FW: 757
    The following user likes this Post: Phishfinger

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    It makes driving so much more exciting with a wheel and pedals. I have a cheap DFGT and even that with the basic pedals it's much more fun. I actually had so much fun that I spent the money yesterday to get me a nice set of fanatec pedals.

I have everything attached to a regular computer desk which isn't best, but it works for now.

Platform
    PC
    Project Cars is truly ahead of it's time. Get a G27 wheel. Without a wheel the game is not the same. I just upgraded to a GTX 970 simply so I could enjoy the game at ultra settings. I actually have my G27 hooked into my desk. It' the perfect height for racing. I would suggest a racing seat if you are a serious gamer.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    you can look at something like this too... u can put it away when you're done. attach everything to it

Platform
    PC
    There's no question here, wheel!
    Don't think about it, just do it!
    Processor: AMD Piledriver FX-8 8350 4GHz Overclocked 4.5GHz | Videocard: Asus GTX 980 | Gamepad: Fanatec Clubsport V2 Wheel Base + Formula Rim + Clubsport V2 |
    Network Card: Asus PCE-N15 Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX | Sound Card/Headphones: Razer Kraken 7.1 | Monitor/s: Asus VN247H 24" Super Narrow Bezel
    Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3 | PSU: OCW 650W | Keyboard+Mouse: Logitech G510 + Madcatz R.A.T 3 | OS: Windows 7 x64

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I got this exact cheapo desk http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...-Desk/17479995 and use it for clamping the G25 on. When not racing, I just un-screw the wheel and put it on the floor. The pedals stay in place on a carpet, but that doesn't hinder normal computer use.