Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CREST - a.k.a. Cars REST API

Platform
    PC

CREST - a.k.a. Cars REST API

Introducing CREST - also known as the CARS REST API

Project type: Data server/API.

Project status: 1.0.2 has been released.

Project web site: http://www.cars-rest-api.com

Public repository: https://github.com/NLxAROSA/CREST

Description:

This project provides a way for developers to have access to the data provided by pCars Shared Memory in a more portable and accessible format than a mapped memory file. It's a windows native command line application (written in C++ and a fair bit of plain old C) that will act as a local web/application server and serve the data via JSON over HTTP by accessing a URL. Any web browser or HTTP client will be able to access the data both locally and inside the local network, which facilitates easy add-on development in any language (e.g. JavaScript, Java, C, C++, C#, etc. etc.) and platform (e.g. web browser, iOS, Android, Windows Phone or other) with a vast array of client REST libraries at your disposal.

I started this mainly for myself to play around with the pCars Shared Memory SDK/API and to brush up on the good 'ol C/C++ skills, but decided to make it available to the general public for free. Since I'm using a couple of libraries that are licensed with the GNU GPL license.

Screenshots:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crest-pcars-race-start.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	207102

Sample JSON

Click here.

Current build:

Download link available at this location.

Installation instructions

1. Download the source code from the Github repository and build/run it in Visual Studio (check the README for instructions).

- OR -

1. Download the application from the download link at this location.
    2. Start the application by double-clicking it.
    3. Windows will complain about security (coming from an unknown/unverified source) both when downloading and starting the application. Please allow/unblock the application in order to allow it to start. Windows Firewall will also ask for permission to access the local network. Please allow it access for proper functioning.
    4. If Windows complains about missing DLLs (e.g. MSVCR120.DLL or similar), please download and install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=40784 (vcredist_x86.exe), then start again.
    5. Console will show a notification about the server being up and running and display port and URL information.

Connecting to Project CARS

1. Start Project CARS.
    2. Enable Shared Memory in Options -> Visual -> Hardware
    3. Open up a browser (Chrome works best) and go to http://localhost:8080/crest/v1/api
    4. Profit! F5/Refresh until you drop!

Known issues:

Issues are listed in GitHub: https://github.com/NLxAROSA/CREST/issues.
    Feel free to add bugs you may find, or feature requests, etc.
    PC: i7-4790k/16GB/GTX970 4GB/Z97-PRO/Logitech G27/Xbox 360 Controller
    Laptop: i7-6700HQ/16GB/GTX1070 8GB/Xbox One Controller
    LT Profiler: Strength: 100% - Spring 0% - Damper 0% - Center Spring 0% - 900 degrees - game can change
    The following 8 users likes this Post: Diluvian, eckhchri, ermo, Gassolini, Joeri Blootacker, Raymond de Vries, Rober, STINGER_LP

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Wrong speed value in CRest

Hi

I discovered that the Speed value in CREST (V.1.0.2) is wrong. When I drive with 100km/h the value "mSpeed" is 23 or little bit higher. I run the
    standard json-request from the example. No own code!

As first I thinked that I have to convert from miles to kilometer, but that is not the solution.

Has anybody make the same discovery?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    OK, the Problem is solved. The value mSpeed is "Meter per Second"!

Sorry for the confusion!

Platform
    PC
    No worries, it can get confusing sometimes, and bugs do happen, so always report if you think something is out of the ordinary.
    LT Profiler: Strength: 100% - Spring 0% - Damper 0% - Center Spring 0% - 900 degrees - game can change

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Hi Lars, is this API working for console network data also?

Platform
    PC
    Thank you very much for creating this. It is a great help to add streaming tools via a website, wonderful!

Platform
    PC
    One thing though, it seems that Unicode characters like German umlauts are not available. Is that due to the Shared Mem or the Crest App?

Platform
    PC
    Looking into this right now, not sure where the problem is just yet, but if it's on my end I'll fix it.
    The following user likes this Post: TonyR

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars Rosenquist View Post
    Looking into this right now, not sure where the problem is just yet, but if it's on my end I'll fix it.
    It's really strange Lars. When I'm showing the REST Url http://localhost:8080/crest/v1/api?participants=true in my browser all participant names are correct (Unicode characters correctly displayed).

So I now assume the problem is on my side :/ But I'm receiving the REST data with "$.getJSON('http://localhost:8080/crest/v1/api?participants=true', ....." (and displaying this raw data with Chrome console.log already shows wrongly displayed characters)
    Not sure what can be wrong with that.

Platform
    PC
    Sounds like a classical encoding issue to me. So what happens is that CREST returns the output (but it doesn't specifiy which encoding on the Content-Type header) and when rendered in your browser, Chrome correctly guesses (or defaults to) the correct encoding and displays it properly. The same probably does not apply to the console (or your) app, which probably defaults to the default system encoding (probably latin if it's Windows) instead of UTF-8. What I can do on my end is add the specific charset (UTF-8) to the Content-Type header. That should prevent any guessing about the charset on the client end. Quick fix on my end, so if I'm not interrupted I can have that out by tonight.
    The following user likes this Post: TonyR