Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A genuine user experience and my disappointment with Project Cars

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4

Question A genuine user experience and my disappointment with Project Cars

Hi guys

I知 not normally the type to post in forums but I felt I wanted to share my user experience of Project Cars on the Playstation4 and why I知 honestly left disappointed with what appears to still be an unfinished product. This isn稚 a rant, but just a factual experience of the faults found within just a few hours of gameplay.

After hearing good things I purchased the Thrustmaster T300RS wheel along with the game. My initial huge disappointment with the game was pre the v1.4 update and I知 not going to detail that. The following was from using the game last week with the v1.4 update:

- Started a career in Renault Clio痴
    - Decided on a favourite view (I liked the Gran Turismo style bumper cam)
    - Steering was very unresponsive had to exit the game mode to go to options and remove the dead zone (I appreciate this is personal preference)
    - Needed to turn the mirror on again had to exit the game mode to go to these options.
    - Donnington - Enjoyed practice and qualifying and got 1st for both (default 80% difficulty)
    - Enjoyed the first race and got my first win
    - Started the second race pitted as request. Left pits to find the steering wheel went light and the car wouldn稚 respond to wheel movements. Noticed the tyres had turned red. [BUG1]
    - After looking online I found this could be worked around using a saved pit profile which worked and allowed me to complete race 2
    - Snetterton Enjoyed practice, quali, and races with wins all round.
    - Silverstone Enjoyed practice and quali with pole
    - Silverstone Race one (race distance now up to 25%) - 1st but noticed the AI were suddenly much quicker in the race. The one thing that caught my eye is that they were bizarrely fast at the Vale chicane. They could brake much later than was actually possible for myself resulting in them bumping into the back of me. Ultimately the AI痴 physics did not appear to be the same as mine. [BUG2]
    - Silverstone race 2 Replayed this race a number of times but it was not possible to win as the winning AI car wasn稚 performing his mandatory pit stop (you could tell from the time he won by 20+ seconds over a 5 lap race). [BUG3]
    - BUG1 caused me to not consider the fact that my saved profile was with slicks which meant I only managed 3rd at a very wet Oulton Park
    - Completed other races in the season and enjoyed it but ultimately the experience felt let down by the Silverstone race and the issues I壇 seen in such a short time
    - Had an invite to race in a RS1600. Bumper view for this vehicle was for some reason much lower than the Clio痴 so had to change to bonnet view. Handling was bizarre and the AI were much quicker in this car type. Had an issue with no sound (other than starting lights) which wouldn稚 resolve by restarting the race [BUG4]
    - Didn稚 enjoy this final race and seemed to have no option to stop the classic races and move on to a new Season in Clio痴. Not played since.

So that has been my experience. 5 events in the Clio痴, and 4 problems found in such a short space of time. From looking online all 4 BUGS have been experienced by others. My actual biggest concern was of BUG2 (AI able to take a corner in a way that is impossible for user). A quick Google showed other players complain of the same issue at the same point. My concern is that this breaks the immersion and isn稚 simply a bug that can be fixed as the other 3 no doubt will be in the future.

As I said at the beginning, this isn稚 a viscous rant but purely my observations of a product that could be very good when completed. I appreciate certain bugs can be missed at launch and that software needs to quickly get to market so that sales can begin, but if I can experience all the above over just a few hours of gameplay from the beginning of a career mode, it makes me wonder what else is lurking ahead and why such simple things concerning the pit issues were not already discovered in development and testing.

I知 a normal 36 year old married guy with 2 young kids and 32 years of gaming, but also a reasonable amount of real life track time under my belt (3 seasons of karting around the UK, track days etc). I was really looking forward to this title but now I知 just left a little bit wondering what all the fuss is about

Hopefully this will be seen as a 都ensible post. I知 interested if others have in reality shared a similar experience or if it痴 all just been faultless for them. I致e also seen some staff from the team behind the game responding to people on here, and I was interested in any comments they had whilst trying to see it from the end user point of view.

Thanks and sorry it痴 such a long winded message

Platform
    PC
    The same,much frustration here

Platform
    PC
    Since purchasing the game I have not touched the career mode once. It's not that I don't want to be frustrated with bugs like yourself, I just have no desire to race pre-made modes in a linear fashion. Hated doing the career mode in Forza and I'll hate doing it here. I have only played quick race mode to my specific tastes with the cars, tracks, weather and distances I want to race in. I want pure customization and this game absolutely offers it. And you know what I have had an absolute blast playing in those races. The minimal amount of issues I've had in quick race mode (mainly the AI) keeps me playing it along with a few online races in between and I'm satisfied.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: GamingCanuck, rich6826, rocho, sergiumtz, TrevorAustin

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    OP, you're full of it, the game was developed with the help of 80k racing sim fans, it's perfect. It was even delayed a couple of times because they wanted to get it right and they did. Everything works as intended. Can't wait for pCARS 2, that will be another peach! Bring it.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by eclap View Post
    OP, you're full of it, the game was developed with the help of 80k racing sim fans, it's perfect. It was even delayed a couple of times because they wanted to get it right and they did. Everything works as intended. Can't wait for pCARS 2, that will be another peach! Bring it.

You're an idiot.

I'll leave it at that.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by eclap View Post
    I believe you are in the minority with your disdain for SMS and your disdain for this game. While I will agree this game has bugs that need to be fixed, I have personally experienced nothing that makes it unplayable. It is IMO a great game and I believe it will be better in the future with patches and DLC. I also look forward to PCars 2.....I've read your posts in other threads and they seem to have a consistent theme regarding your opinion of the potential PCars 2 so need to debate it.
    PS4
    PSN: Helmethead1031
    Thrustmaster T100

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmethead1031 View Post
    I believe you are in the minority with your disdain for SMS and your disdain for this game. While I will agree this game has bugs that need to be fixed, I have personally experienced nothing that makes it unplayable. It is IMO a great game and I believe it will be better in the future with patches and DLC. I also look forward to PCars 2.....I've read your posts in other threads and they seem to have a consistent theme regarding your opinion of the potential PCars 2 so need to debate it.
    no need indeed.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    So you're driving adainst Ai at 80% difficulty, in a car tuned at 10% and wonder why they were hitting you up the back.......Ok.
    I must say my experience of career was different, the tunes wouldn't save sometimes and I eventually got stuck because the season kept repeating. So career is off limits for me. The caster force don't feed back into wheel self centring so driving with a thumbstick is not as enjoyable as it could be. It's hard driving hard without burning the front tyres. Tunings slow from all the button pressing.
    I need a wheel really but haven't the space to store one. I've heard motion controller and telemetry app are not going to be implemented now, no ones said anything to the contrary. Good tyres, questionable physics engine, stunted crash sequences, tiny fonts on everything, broken career, no surround sound, no paint, fantastic tracks, good sound effects, over strained GPUs, lawless multiplayer mode, not thumb stick friendly after years of development, no race engineer, I won't mention the pit, etc.
    When I have a car with a 50 point fault list, thats normal, I get on with it and complete my work mandate in an ordered fashion.
    I want to be delighted with this game, but I'm waiting. How long? Only time will tell and any reassurances recieved in the mean time will ease my discomfort. A forty man crew should easily sort this game out, its the other parties logistics and technological limits that are hindering progress. How over strained the GPUs are is anyones guess!

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by MULTIVITZ View Post
    So you're driving adainst Ai at 80% difficulty, in a car tuned at 10% and wonder why they were hitting you up the back.......Ok.
    I must say my experience of career was different, the tunes wouldn't save sometimes and I eventually got stuck because the season kept repeating. So career is off limits for me. The caster force don't feed back into wheel self centring so driving with a thumbstick is not as enjoyable as it could be. It's hard driving hard without burning the front tyres. Tunings slow from all the button pressing.
    I need a wheel really but haven't the space to store one. I've heard motion controller and telemetry app are not going to be implemented now, no ones said anything to the contrary. Good tyres, questionable physics engine, stunted crash sequences, tiny fonts on everything, broken career, no surround sound, no paint, fantastic tracks, good sound effects, over strained GPUs, lawless multiplayer mode, not thumb stick friendly after years of development, no race engineer, I won't mention the pit, etc.
    When I have a car with a 50 point fault list, thats normal, I get on with it and complete my work mandate in an ordered fashion.
    I want to be delighted with this game, but I'm waiting. How long? Only time will tell and any reassurances recieved in the mean time will ease my discomfort. A forty man crew should easily sort this game out, its the other parties logistics and technological limits that are hindering progress. How over strained the GPUs are is anyones guess!
    FYI, motion control is implemented on PS4.....
    PS4
    PSN: Helmethead1031
    Thrustmaster T100

Platform
    PC
    Rich, I think all of the issues you've brought up are not unique and in fact are being experienced by a number of players out there. Some I think have had even worse problems than you. Personally I have put career mode on hold until these things get sorted and I'm spending time tweaking things like FFB, steering, car tunes and just generally getting a feel for the game. I get the sense that SMS are taking most, if not all, of these problems to heart and that there will be solutions forthcoming. It's disappointing to have such high expectations and then to encounter these types of issues. But try to see what potential there is rather than the limitations and I think it'll end up being worth it in the end.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: Helmethead1031