Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to be quick off the line?

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC

How to be quick off the line?

I have been multiplayer racing and despite qualifying top 4 in most races I am getting absolutely smoked off the start. I will usually lose 4 or 5 places each time.

I use manual gears. auto clutch. My current technique is to give it full or nearly full revs, wait for green, then stick in first. GT3 cars with real aids so I have traction control.

Does anyone have any tips here?

(Or is this a bug affecting host only as I am host for nearly every online game I have played?)
    Last edited by OnyxD; 25-06-2015 at 10:35. Reason: grammar

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxD View Post
    I have been multiplayer racing and despite qualifying top 4 in most races I am getting absolutely smoked off the start. I will usually lose 4 or 5 places each time.

I use manual gears. auto clutch. My current technique is to give it full or nearly full revs, wait for green, then stick in first. GT3 cars with real aids so I have traction control.

(Or is this a bug affecting host only as I am host for nearly every online game I have played?)
    I do the same its just pot luck, I hold full revs though and have aloud more slip on my TC setup
    YouTube Channel
    Official Host for UK PS4 pad users Sunday Racers thread
    My setups, mostly GT3 Pcars Setup Website
    PSN: jimmy_b_84
    GT3 Pit Stop Guide Strategy Calculator (Version 2 for Open Office and Google Sheets)

WMD Member
    Remove TCS, Manual clutch

EDIT : TCS - ESP - ABS is retarded in GT3 btw
    Last edited by tankyx; 25-06-2015 at 10:45.
    Intel Core I5 2400 | MSI GTX770 Lightning SLi | 12 GB ram PC-15000 | Antec HCG 900w | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB * 2 | MSI Z68A-GD80
    Fanatec CSR + ClubSport v1.0 + Wheel stand.

WTFRUDOIN ?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I use manual clutch, i hold it, stick it in first gear and hold the gas pedal. As soon as it goes green i release the clutch and i don't lose any places

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tompo View Post
    I use manual clutch, i hold it, stick it in first gear and hold the gas pedal. As soon as it goes green i release the clutch and i don't lose any places
    Stick to neutral before green, clutch pressed. Because if you engaged a gear, the car will start rolling (e.g on Spa)
    Intel Core I5 2400 | MSI GTX770 Lightning SLi | 12 GB ram PC-15000 | Antec HCG 900w | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB * 2 | MSI Z68A-GD80
    Fanatec CSR + ClubSport v1.0 + Wheel stand.

WTFRUDOIN ?

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxD View Post

It's often (but not always) better to manually pick the clutch up and have 1st gear selected on the grid as the lights come up. When you're ready you can drop the clutch and make a strong getaway. Obviously if you use a button for the clutch (as you mention you otherwise use auto-clutch) the drop is unsophisticated and just jumps the full clutch in one go. If you had a clutch pedal you could of course drop the clutch more delicately for maximum drive/torque balance.

The challenge with this is the when you pick up the clutch if the starting box you are in is on a hill the car will roll - meaning you have to press a button to hold the clutch, press brake to stop the rolling, select first gear and then simultaneously release the brake and the clutch to get your good start when the lights go out.

Of course certain cars react better to this than others. With GT3s you should get reasonable starts doing what you're doing at the moment because the transmission/gear change speed is so fast you won't lose much whilst the game auto-clutches for you between N and 1. Less sophisticated cars will have longer auto-shifts and thus you'll suffer using that method as the manual clutch hold means you can negate the delay in gear shift and simply go when you drop the clutch...
    PlayStation 4 | Thrustmaster T300RS (599xx), T3PA-Pro, TH8A | WheelStandPro Deluxe V2 | Astro A50's
    - All mistakes made under race conditions are my own and do not ever represent the mistakes of professional racing drivers!
    - All rubbish forums posts (and opinions contained therein) are my own.

Platform
    PS4
    Jump the start, it's what everyone else does online, you can jump it by quite a bit without getting a penalty.

WMD Member
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    With auto-clutch. Apply full footbrake. Wait for first red lights, put in 1st gear. When 3rd red lights come on, give full throttle, and release the brake when green light.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Oi Oi JC, OnyxD

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the replies so far. I don't have clutch on my pedals so that isn't an option for me.

I can't believe that all the people overtaking me are using manual clutch, I will often be overtaken at start by people who are 10secs per lap slower so are probably using gamepads and are still learning the game.

I'm getting more convinced that there is an online synchronisation problem between clients for the start, affecting the host. I'll do some more tests tonight and file a bug report if I can reproduce it.

Superkart Pilot Baron_Greenback's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Guestimate the timing of the green light.
    I can't seem to find a sweet spot on the throttle for launch, so I floor it in neutral and feather the throttle slightly when I select first and pull away.
    Sabertooth 990FX : FX9590 : 16GB Dominator 2133mhz : GTX970 STRIX 4GB : Antec HCG 850W : Windows 8.1 x64 : G27