Page 20 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: A new home for all your setups

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyLastShadow View Post
    A question on search.
    Is it or will it be possible to search by class and track.
    Like if i wanted to know if there is a setup for Silvertone GP in GT3 class(only as an example)
    You can search for cars by class right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiister View Post
    Excellent tool for those of us who have no clue on setups, it's really helpful thank you to all involved! And there's always a but... But I really wish I could search by track. Searching for tags would be fine if it could be done outside of the car selection. Right now I have to select a car and search for the track tag, I don't care which car I just want to find setups for a particular track. Could you implement the freetext search without a car selected maybe?
    That's a tricky one. Technically, yeah - it could be implemented. It is a big design challenge however. It's not a usecase I accounted for, because I honestly didn't expect it to be a valid one. Most people pick a car that they love and then look for a place to drive it. They don't really pick a track that they really love and then look for a car to thrash around on it. I will have to have a good think on how this could fit into the overall page design. No promises, but I will consider an angle for it. Back of the queue for now, though, so don't hold your breath for it =).

Speaking of queue, Niklas and I will be pushing an important update later this evening. The bug hagar uncovered had some fairly deep ramifications with some fairly serious database implications. We will need to be doing some trimming here and there on some affected setups. To you guys the process should be entirely unnoticeable and nothing should change outwards. It is however a rather sensitive update, so I would appreciate if setup makers could double-check their setups after the update has been performed to make sure all their data is there. We will of course be backing up all the data prior to performing the update, so we will be able to roll back if something goes wrong. Keep an eye out for the yellow banner on the site and an update from me in this thread to know when we deploy today.

Computer
    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 5 | CPU Intel Core i7-4790K @4 GHz, Turbo @ 4.40GHz | RAM Kingston HyperX Predator Beast 2x 8GB DDR3 @2200MHz CL11-13-14 | Graphics 2x Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING 4Gb in SLI | Sound ASUS Xonas Essence STX | OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    Hardware
    Rig Obutto r3volution | Screens 3x 24" Eizo Foris FS2434-BK @ 5840 x 1080 | Earphones BeyerDynamic DT770 - BeyerDynamic DT990 | Wheel bases Fanatec CSW v2 - Fanatec CSW v1 - Fanatec CSR Elite | Rims BMW rim (2100g, 320mm) - Formula rim (1210g, 2800mm) - Universal Hub + QSP flat touring 300 leather (1600g, 300mm) - Universal Hub + OMP corsica alcantara (1600g, 320mm) | Pedals Heusinkveld Engineering Sim Pedals Pro - Fanatec CSR Elite

Racing experience
    PC Project Cars - NFS Shift 2 - NFS Shift - NFS Pro Street | Assetto Corsa | Raceroom Racing Experience - Race 07 with all expansions - GTR 2 - GTR - GT Legends | F1 2011 - F1 2010 - Dirt 3 | Next Car Game | GRID AutoSport | Juiced | Viper Racing
    Xbox Forza 4 - Forza Horizon - Forza 3 PS3 Gran Turismo 5 - Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Ferrari Challenge, Trofeo Pirelli

Need a setup? http://projectcarssetups.eu/ - My setups: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/byuser/RimanDk - Jussi's (OEM) setups: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/byuser/Jussi
    Everything about the setups website here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ll-your-setups

Platform
    PC
    Website will be down at 19.00 CET - in 20 minutes from the time of me posting this.

Computer
    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 5 | CPU Intel Core i7-4790K @4 GHz, Turbo @ 4.40GHz | RAM Kingston HyperX Predator Beast 2x 8GB DDR3 @2200MHz CL11-13-14 | Graphics 2x Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING 4Gb in SLI | Sound ASUS Xonas Essence STX | OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    Hardware
    Rig Obutto r3volution | Screens 3x 24" Eizo Foris FS2434-BK @ 5840 x 1080 | Earphones BeyerDynamic DT770 - BeyerDynamic DT990 | Wheel bases Fanatec CSW v2 - Fanatec CSW v1 - Fanatec CSR Elite | Rims BMW rim (2100g, 320mm) - Formula rim (1210g, 2800mm) - Universal Hub + QSP flat touring 300 leather (1600g, 300mm) - Universal Hub + OMP corsica alcantara (1600g, 320mm) | Pedals Heusinkveld Engineering Sim Pedals Pro - Fanatec CSR Elite

Racing experience
    PC Project Cars - NFS Shift 2 - NFS Shift - NFS Pro Street | Assetto Corsa | Raceroom Racing Experience - Race 07 with all expansions - GTR 2 - GTR - GT Legends | F1 2011 - F1 2010 - Dirt 3 | Next Car Game | GRID AutoSport | Juiced | Viper Racing
    Xbox Forza 4 - Forza Horizon - Forza 3 PS3 Gran Turismo 5 - Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Ferrari Challenge, Trofeo Pirelli

Need a setup? http://projectcarssetups.eu/ - My setups: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/byuser/RimanDk - Jussi's (OEM) setups: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/byuser/Jussi
    Everything about the setups website here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ll-your-setups

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hagar147 View Post
    Hi there, great website you guys have made. I already used it to save my different setups. I am experiencing a problem now though. I want to adjust a setup I save before but when I click on the save setup button, I get a red line at the top of the screen instead of a green one. This indicates that my changes haven't been saved. Any help on this please? I already tried logging out and it again.

Cheers,
    hagar147
    Hey hagar, we just pushed live an update that should address this issue. Please test whether you still have problems editing/saving your setups and report back. Would really love to know if the problem has gone away. All of our testing speaks to that effect, but in the end you were the one affected. We were not able to reproduce the issue after the update.

@Everyone - website is back up and open for business once more!

Computer
    Hardware

Racing experience

The following 2 users likes this Post: jimmyb_84, Tastakrad

WMD Member Jussi Viljami Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by AdM1 View Post
    What's the calculator thing going to be for?
    Like RimanDK said, it is a tool I developed when I got more heavily into the testing during development. Basically I wanted to see if the setups of the cars were naturally biased in specific ways, and did the cars behave as expected from those biases.

The calculator can be used to calculate many things, including but not limited to:

Front and rear suspension frequencies (= effective stiffness of the springs, taking into account the weight of the car, the motion ratio of the suspension, and the spring stiffness itself, as well as other considerations) and the front/rear spring frequency bias (= general over/understeer bias in the spring setup). These will help you figure out the overall stiffness level of the suspension (moving between bumpy/smooth tracks) and the overall stability bias of the springs (recognize and fix over/understeer issues, set up a road car for a "flat ride", keep the balance of the suspension intact while changing overall stiffness, etc.).

A simplified roll-bias calculator (= general under/oversteer bias in the springs + sway bars). It can help you recognize how the sway bars act on the balance of the car together with the springs, and adjust the bias as necessary. It is however a very simplified calculator, and doesn't for example take into account the roll center heights front and rear and the center of gravity, meaning the leverage effect from those is lost. This is most obviously clear on the LMP1/LMP2 cars, which have a much larger difference between the roll center height and the center of gravity height at the front than at the rear, meaning the front end needs a lot more sway bar support than the rear (easily seen in-game by the massively stiffer front sway bars).

Damper critical rates, both individually for slow and fast settings, and using other metrics available also for how critical the damping is at 3 in/s (will likely make this user changeable in the online version), among other things, comes complete with a graphical representation of the damper curves. Massively helpful when setting up a baseline, can help you make sure the setup isn't underdamped (underdamped = car bounces too long after a bump) or getting locked up due to overdamping (overdamped = dampers so stiff they prevent the suspension from moving properly), can help you adjust for a balance between bump and rebound, and gives you some suggestions and visual targets for the graphs to aim for for a functional baseline setup that allows the suspension to handle bumps while keeping the suspension free to move.

You know, simple stuff like that. =)

We will also try to make some sort of tutorial for the calculator function with easy to follow rules of thumb that anyone can follow.

I have very successfully used the calculator for coming up with baseline setups that feel similar across different cars (making it easier to find my own balance even when going from one car to another), finding issues with setups (odd front/rear biases, overdone roll biases), finding and fixing specific handling issues caused by a particular setting/property in some setups, like:

"car is very unstable during entry into bumpy corners" -> rear was underdamped overall -> find more suitable damping levels

"car has grip but gets sudden understeer, feel not progressive enough" -> front spring frequency way too high overall and too high compared to rear -> better balance front/rear and an overall softer setup for more mechanical and progressive grip

"car set up similarly to other car from the same class with an almost identical suspension layout, but is much more sudden and tail happy" -> different digression knees in the dampers compared to the other car, same damper settings result in much higher bump forces which cause skittishness -> adjust the actual forces to match, car balanced much more like the other car

and so on, combined with a basic knowledge of differential and alignment tuning it can be a very very powerful tool.

EDIT: Also the reason why it took so much work and why it can be so helpful is that a lot of the necessary information isn't available in-game, like motion ratios, unsprung weights, damper digression knees, etc., so it's almost impossible to calculate anything useful with just the in-game info. During development of the game though us WMD members had access to the devs though, and could ask them about stuff like this, which is how I got the information (super thankful to the developers for this). They also helped me a lot with the formulas and some of the metrics used.

EDIT2: Also a further complication was that some cars have different motion ratios for springs and dampers (due to different mounting points) and different motion ratios for body roll and straight heave (due to suspension layout, like a De Dion or live rear axle), or stuff like a Z-bar adding spring rate in heave but not in roll (like in the McLaren 12C). It really was a lot of stuff to take into consideration when developing everything and keeping it working properly, which is why it took me well over a year to get it from its early stages to where it's currently. Not to mention the massive efforts required to gather all the setup data. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyb_84 View Post
    I saw this in a thread somewhere looked amazing and very technical
    Quote Originally Posted by AdM1 View Post
    Thanks for explaining.

Sounds bloody awesome .
    Thanks. =)

Does this fancy spreadsheet calculate ride height setting depending on fuel load? Thats my current headache....
    No, because unfortunately I do not know where the fuel tanks in each car are located, so I can't calculate the effect of a full/empty tank to the weight distribution of the car. I did consider it during development, but it wasn't really possible to achieve.

I haven't personally found that to have that massive of an effect really, particularly on race cars. For example lets take the McLaren 12C GT3, which is one of the softest GT3 cars. Assuming 100 liters of fuel @ 0.71 kg/l density (so 71 kg of fuel) and the default rear springs and further assuming the almost worst case scenario of having the tank pressing right on top of the rear axle, the difference in rear ride height between a full and empty tank would be around ~3 mm*.

The bigger difference I found was in the suspension bias of the car. The default setup has the front frequency 23% higher than the rear frequency, which is pretty normal for a racing car with downforce (stiffer front for a stable aero platform and quick steering response, softer rear to help put the power down). More weight pressing down on a spring lowers the spring frequency (= effective stiffness of the suspension), if the fuel was weighing down straight on the rear axle it'd shift the bias to 30% higher at the front. This represents a fairly significant shift in the overall spring bias of the car, and would likely make the car noticeably more sluggish to turn with a full tank (it'd also increase the polar moment of inertia but that's another story).

*Car weight 1 375 kg, front/rear weight distribution 45.7/54.3, rear unsprung weight 55 kg per corner = rear sprung weight 636.625 kg, rear corner sprung weight 318.3125 kg. Rear default spring rate 227 N/mm, rear motion ratio 0.658:1, rear effective spring rate (wheel rate) 98.28 N/mm. 318.3125 kg * 9.81 m/s^2 = 3 122.65 N downward force total. 3 122.65 N / 98.28 N/mm = 31.77 mm ~ 32 mm. Add 71 kg / 2 = 35.5 kg to the corner weight for 100 liters of fuel 318.3125 + 35.5 = 353.8125 kg, 353.8125 kg * 9.81 m/s^2 = 3470.9 N downward force, 3470.9 / 98.28 = 35.3 mm ~ 35 mm.
    Last edited by Jussi Viljami Karjalainen; 06-07-2015 at 18:30.
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

Suspension Calculator now available on the P.CARS Setups Database website!

Next Gen = More Biscuit!
    The following 4 users likes this Post: AdM1, Chin, jimmyb_84, RimanDk

Platform
    PS4
    wow thats a very detailed response a little beyond me at the moment, although I look forward to your calculator. I have used a couple of your base tunes and they have really improved on the standard setup, please keep them coming.
    YouTube Channel
    Official Host for UK PS4 pad users Sunday Racers thread
    My setups, mostly GT3 Pcars Setup Website
    PSN: jimmy_b_84
    GT3 Pit Stop Guide Strategy Calculator (Version 2 for Open Office and Google Sheets)

Platform
    PC
    wow thats a very detailed response a little beyond me at the moment, although I look forward to your calculator. I have used a couple of your base tunes and they have really improved on the standard setup, please keep them coming.
    I will most likely get more prolific with my setups when we get to September and beyond, I'm currently stuck with a gamepad away from home for the summer (work), and I'm not that keen to get into heavy suspension work until I can get back to my beloved T500 RS. =)
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

Next Gen = More Biscuit!
    The following user likes this Post: MelBonkers

Platform
    PC
    UPDATE 16.10.2016: Version 1.3.5.2 released! I have been notified that I hadn't updated the Mercedes-AMG GT3 spring and damper values, which were still using placeholder values based on the SLS AMG GT3. Use the wrong basefile when updating, this update now corrects the error.

UPDATE 11.10.2016: Version 1.3.5 released! Added the final remaining cars, the Mercedes-AMG GT3, Pagani Huayra BC and Pagani Zonda Revolucion. End of updates for the foreseeable future, other than trying to fix any bugs that might crop up.

It's been a ride and I thank everyone who has used the calculator, and especially everybody that commented with their experiences as well as errors they'd discovered. A big thank you to all of you. =)

UPDATE 4.3.2016: Version 1.3.4 released! Added all the StanceWorks and US Racing Car pack cars as well as the Falcon V8 Supercar and Aston Martin Vantage GT12 free cars. Added compatibility for cars with different spring and damper motion ratios at the front.
    UPDATE 14.1.2016: Version 1.3.3 released! Added all the Renault Sport Car Pack cars as well as the Radical RXC Turbo.
    UPDATE 29.11.2015: Version 1.3.2 released! Fixed a bunch of small glitches in calculating some damper metrics (small increases in accuracy, nothing ground breaking in most cases).
    UPDATE 26.11.2015: Version 1.3.1 released! Available at the bottom of this post, added all DLC cars so far, including the Classic Lotus pack and the free Lotus 49C. Also fixed an error in calculating the "total damping force as % of corner weight at 10 in/s" readout for cars with a digression knee higher than 10 in/s (mainly the Lotus classic cars), and added my "SuperSimple Baseline Racing Setup" as a page in the sheet so that it's more easily accessed. Also separated the Alpine A450 from the Oreca 03 so that it's easier to find.
    UPDATE 02.11.2015: Version 1.3 released! Available at the bottom of this post, added all DLC cars so far, including the Japanese Cars pack and the free Scion FR-S.
    UPDATE 29.9.2015: Version 1.2 released! Available at the bottom of this post, added all DLC cars so far, including the Aston Martin pack and the Mercedes-Benz 300SL W194. Also added graphical representation of the different damper curves between heave and roll in cars with applicable suspension geometry.

First of all: This spreadsheet is only intended as a temporary tool so that the most enthusiastic people can fiddle around until we get the website version working. It is not as user friendly as the website will be (hopefully), and can be buggy. I have also not updated many of the defaults and setup ranges in a while, so it might be outdated for some cars. This is not the end of the world however, but more on that later. On to the business:

OK, I've made a somewhat cleaned up version of the spreadsheet that's more suitable for public consumption. You will find it in the .rar file attached to this post. On my computers it works perfectly in Excel 2013, probably quite well in other versions of Excel as well, but exhibits various issues in LibreOffice and OpenOffice (the macro to load defaults for each car doesn't work at all, the graph formatting is wonky but the lines are at least accurate, sometimes it fails to load proper values completely), and basically doesn't work at all properly in other spreadsheet programs (particularly the graphs). I can only recommend using proper Excel for this, but obviously I can't prevent you from using Libre or OpenOffice.

Warning: The spreadsheet is somewhat CLUNKY TO USE, and even more so if you're not using Excel (the macro to load the default settings only works properly in Excel). You have been warned.

First, go here and read my post on the subject of this calculator. Watch these videos to hear me ramble about this stuff:

(Ignore the Honda NSX-R in the car list, that is not anything hidden or worked on during pCARS development, it was just a test where I added a car from rFactor to the calculator to see if it worked out as nicely. )

Reminder: I've learned many things since posting those videos (like certain benefits bump biased setups can have when compared to rebound biased setups, particularly in a rally context) so take the stuff I'm talking about with a grain of salt. Not even the stuff in the most recent version I'm uploading now is completely up to date, I've been more focused on the website recently and haven't updated the spreadsheet properly in ages.

In the release version I'm uploading now you should ONLY attempt to select the GREEN fields, which all feature drop down lists. The ONLY exception to this are the yellow fields for Bump and Rebound digression knees, and only when not using Excel. This is because in Excel you're supposed to pick a car and then hit Set to Default, which sets the correct digression knees as well. The macro to do this doesn't work outside Excel properly, so you need to set it by hand. Use the drop down menu to select the correct value in this case.

If you don't have Excel, you will need to select the default values for the fields yourself. Open up the dropdown list, and select top most numerical value (usually the list says "Default" at the top, the value should be below this, but with some programs the "Default" text can be invisible, so you can have an empty line, then a numerical value). It is 100% imperative that you at least set a valid weight distribution and digression knees! After that you can play around freely.

If you encounter a situation where either the default or the adjustment ranges are outdated, fear not: You can write ANY value into the fields (apart from the Select car one), so you can write in what the real values should be if necessary. You can also make a fantasy setup by putting in values that aren't allowed in-game.

A Recipe For A Super Simple Baseline Racing Spring and Damper Setup:
    1. Front frequency 15-25% higher than rear frequency.
    2. Roll-bias 55-70% front.
    3. Average total damping forces at 3 in/s over 50%, preferably in the 60-70% region. (Cells R36 and R38.) EDIT: Forgot to specify that the AVERAGE should be over 50%, both rebound and bump DO NOT have to be over 50%.
    4. Rear bump damping slightly softer than front.
    5. Fast damper settings in the 30-40% critical region, if possible. (Cells D20-21 and D28-29.)
    For point #3 & #4, I prefer to have the rebound at around 75-85% critical at 3 in/s (cells O35 & O37), and the front bump between 50-60% critical at 3 in/s (cell O36) with the rear bump between 40-55% critical at 3 in/s (cell O38), rear softer than front. With some cars you will find that you have to use both the slow and fast settings to get there, on others just the slow setting will suffice. Avoid using too much fast bump though, it can make the car really unstable across bumps and kerbs. With some cars you may notice that the setup ranges don't allow such a setup (which can be completely realistic). Also cars with a live rear axle or a de Dion axle, or a Z-bar can cause some issues when adjusting for balance between corners and straight line.

There, hopefully that'll get you started at least. Now just wait for the proper one coming soon to a website near you. =)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jussi Viljami Karjalainen; 17-10-2016 at 02:52.

Next Gen = More Biscuit!

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by RimanDk View Post
    I see that there is an issue atm when people are not logged in - it presents the summary view, but without the summary section. This is probably what you are experiencing. Try logging in and see if that helps.
    I just tried to log in again (had to reset password) but still having the same issue. It only lists part of the setup.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    I just tried to log in again (had to reset password) but still having the same issue. It only lists part of the setup.
    Can you see the button to change the layout, but it's only showing the arrows, not the name of the current layout? It did that for me at least once, clicking the button solved it for me.

Next Gen = More Biscuit!
    The following user likes this Post: Ashnoom

Banned
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jussi Karjalainen View Post
    More info on Calculator
    Cheers, thanks again it sounds like it'll be really useful. Credit to you for putting the effort in.