Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How realistic is Project Cars?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Question How realistic is Project Cars?

I've been a fan of NFS Shift games in the past, so when I found out about Project Cars early in it's development I was very excited and couldn't wait for its release. Now that it's out I've been playing the game for a couple of hours pretty much every day.

Please note that I am only focusing on car handling here. To me the game feels great, I am no professional racer or anything like that, but the game feels very realistic just in terms of basic car handling and feedback.

What puzzles me is that I have read a lot of bad reviews about Project Cars, people comparing it to other "real sims" and calling it an arcade or simcade game, I was always under the impression that pCars is supposed to be a sim.

So I decided to get other games people compare it to which include Assetto Corsa, rFactor, Stock Car Extreme, Race room experience and of course the most praised one, iRacing.

Out of all those games only Assetto Corsa and rFactor come close but unpredictability and the buggy interface/crappy graphics don't make them worth it for me.

iRacing to me felt like there was no feedback what so ever, I played around with the wheel settings, used other people's suggestions but I felt no excitement driving a car fast around a track. I think people who are praising it are just trying to justify to themselves why they are paying so much for a game.

Other games just aren't as good, they have good elements but the whole package isn't there.

I realise these are my subjective views but I wanted to know what other people think of the game and how they compare it to the rest?
    Last edited by Itothans; 30-06-2015 at 22:29.

Platform
    PC
    PCARS is a full SIM, but it can be adjusted to everybody's abilities by using driving assists and various other options (race line for example). That essentially makes it a game for everyone, which was always the target during development.

There will always be haters yelling "It's simcade!" or "This is just Shift 3!" but the fact that this kind of discussion was pretty much non existent after release speaks for itself IMO.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Need for Speed shift was my favourite racing game for a Long time in the past.
    assetto Corsa is a really great game and i played it alot until....

Project Cars

what should i say? in my opinion Project cars is where it's at.
    if you fiddle out some nice ffb Settings for your wheel the experience is just top notch.
    i'm driving on the nordschleife with my Z4 ///M since about 4 years every few months and i have to say the Informations im getting from my wheel in Project cars are very Close compared to what i feel in real life.

Project cars has it bugs yea, but Overall it's the best sim i ever played and the devs will still care about us and work hard to fix bugs and release more tracks/cars in the future.
    you want a recommendation? GET PROJECT CARS ASAP
    Last edited by Whisky; 29-06-2015 at 07:43.

WMD Member
    There is good and bad in all of the sims, You could find lots of things unfinished in pCARS at this stage.

The important thing is there is progress here, give pCARS a few patches and lets see how it stacks up

iRacings strongest assets is track accuracy and the best multiplayer bar non, the SR system has a lot to do with the quality of racing there.

Hopefully there will be something similar or better to promote clean MP racing in pCARS at some point.

I argued a licence system like iRacing for pCARS MP in parallel to an open MP,

that would give drivers interested in clean racing a MP career through the same racing license system used in RL.
    Last edited by ONT; 29-06-2015 at 08:03.
    Full control of car at start, pit stops, flags and after the end of a race FTW.

Keep it real

CBM 64
    CPU: MOS Technology 6510 0.985 MHz
    Memory: 64 kB RAM + 20 kB ROM
    Graphics: VIC-II (320 × 200, 16 colors, sprites, raster interrupt)
    Sound: SID 6581 (3× Osc, 4× wave, filter, ADSR, ring)
    Overclocked a little to run pCARS
    The following 5 users likes this Post: BulletEyeDK, jason, OnyxD, pioneer1985, TheReaper GT

Platform
    PC
    My observation is that the less money, hardware, & commitment required to enjoy playing a driving game, the less the elitists consider it a "sim."

Since Project CARS can be recreationally & competitively played by people who do not have elaborate & expensive triple-screen wheel-&-pedal setups, then it's not really a "sim" in the eyes of some people.

Too many people use labels to form divisive cliques. They can call it "sim" or "simcade" or "arcade" or "lamb chop" for all I care. On a scale from "Mario Kart" to "breathing in tire smoke through a helmet & balaclava," Project CARS falls somewhere nicely in between.
    Last edited by OperatorWay; 29-06-2015 at 09:55.
    Platform: desktop PC | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | Controller: ThrustMaster T150
    CPU: Intel i7-4790K 4GHz quad-core | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB PCIe3.0x16 | Display: Asus VG248QE 24-inch 144Hz 1ms 1920x1080
    System SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB SATA3 | Game SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA3
    The following 7 users likes this Post: Fong74, Haiden, John Hargreaves, Mr.Smoke, RimanDk, TheReaper GT

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Never had a go on the PC sim racers but from my experience as a driver the handling physics pretty close in the way the cars act under hard driving conditions. For me pCars even with it's flawes is a fantastic representation of fast hard driving. I love it!
    XBOX ONE, 51" Goggle box, Playseat Evo, Thrustmaster TX, GTE wheel, an old pair of TOMS and a wifey to bring refreshments!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: CHEN255, hybrid.art, jason

Platform
    PC
    Sorry, I forgot to quote the Wookie on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Bell View Post
    I've been told by 2 big names I can't mention that we feel more accurate and detailed than their pro in-house simulators. We also do weather better and more dynamically as well as us having better graphics.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following 11 users likes this Post: CHEN255, DayGlow, Itothans, KingTiger80, KkDrummer, Mad Al, Mr.Smoke, Spliffyclyro, TheReaper GT, xclassmn

Platform
    XBOX1
    Firstly I don't think the bad reviews I saw focussed so much on how realistic the game is, but much more on bugs, frame rate issues etc. which are found in all the racing games I played. I won't comment on the latter as firstly I honestly think they're just temporary in nature and secondly they certainly have nothing to do with how realistic PCars is.

Secondly I think the two racing games I played [all the Forza's and Gran Turismo 2-6] were both great and has attributes I really liked [some for their graphics, some for custom painting etc.] But as far as "how real" these games are, PCars is as close as it can get for me. Yes both the other two games had some form of realism, but to me the cars handled, not the same, but kinda within certain parametres very much alike. Don't shoot me on this, cause it's only how I experienced it. PCars on the other hand has about totally different handling characteristics for each car and I'm still amazed on how precise some of those characteristics compare to the real car. Same apply for things like TC and SC which I experienced rather differently in the other two games I mentioned. I'm from the old school and prefer the finer detail of car handling much more than just beating the creeps out of a car around the track, perhaps then why I also find the handling characteristics much more real then the other two games I mentioned.

In fear of my post getting to long, my short answer based on my experience between PCars and the other two I mentioned is that PCars is by far more of a SIM than the other two, handling wise and tuning wise. I will play the other two for various reasons, but when I want to have a racing [not driving] experience, it will be only pcARS for me.
    Router -- Xbox One -- Thrustmaster TX F458 Italia FFB -- 94 cm HDDTV -- Loving wife [Temporary using Xbox controller]
    The following 2 users likes this Post: CHEN255, TheReaper GT

Banned
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Stop worring about what others think and go with your own reactions and feelings, why do some people need this acceptance from others? If your playing it and you enjoy it and feel it gives you a great experience then just get down and play it.
    Ignore all those man childs with expensive PC's and rigs banging on about iRacing etc etc, so what if they call PCars a simade? They are living at home with Mommy and step daddy still and pretending they are racing drivers in their parents basement...

Be confident in yourself and like something cause you like it and not because someone tells you you can....

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Don't forget the sound, good God the sound of that game is amazing. When you listen to the SLS GT3 gearing down or the Capri's turbo announcing that warp speed is close, you feel so inside the experience.

Edit: the Bentley GT3 Bi-Turbo V8 got me all funny in the gentleman parts auhahua
    Last edited by TheReaper GT; 29-06-2015 at 08:17.
    The following 7 users likes this Post: CHEN255, FA RACING 01, Fong74, KingTiger80, Mad Al, Spliffyclyro