Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop The Wreckers...From Spoiling Our Party!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Stop The Wreckers...From Spoiling Our Party!

Unfortunately I don't have the free time to do leagues. I want to play online in open lobbies without wreckers and rammers ruining the races for everyone. I know people say that's impossible. But how about this to at least reduce their impact, and so we can reclaim our race tracks:

1) Every player has a collision count. They also have a miles raced online count.
    2) If a player's collision count per mile goes above a certain threshold, the game classifies them internally as an "unsafe driver". If it drops back down then it classifies them as a "safe driver" again.
    3) The lobby host gets an extra checkbox option: "Safe Drivers Only". Tick that and anyone classified by the game as unsafe cannot join the lobby.

Right, so an opposition to this could be that it would catch out bad/unlucky drivers who crash into others too. But I can't see it would if that collision per mile threshold is set high enough. Bad drivers crash into other cars, but not nearly as often as wreckers.

What if a wrecker gets classified as unsafe, but decides to mend his ways and behave? They can do that - they just need to drive more safely online (in lobbies that allow anyone to race) and get their collisions per mile down below the threshold again.

One last minor detail, but so that new players don't get classified as unsafe while they get the hang of online play: no one with very few race miles would be classified as unsafe.

Any opinions on this 3 step system? I've heard talk of ranking players etc. and more complicated ways to exclude greifers, but this may be straightforward for SMS to implement (as long as they can keep record of collisions and race miles per player). Fight back against the wreckers!
    Last edited by Luke Townsend; 03-07-2015 at 16:43.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    That is such a good idea, it's so simple too.

Can't believe i've not heard it before, surely incredibly easy to implement .
    The following user likes this Post: Luke Townsend

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ccvampyre View Post
    That is such a good idea, it's so simple too.

Can't believe i've not heard it before, surely incredibly easy to implement .
    Thank you ccvampyre. Yes hopefully would be ok to implement. And should help get rid of the blatant wreckers at least!

Platform
    PC
    I'm all in favor of measures to stop trolling wreckers, but collision count alone can be misleading - just because you're in a collision doesn't necessarily mean it's your fault.
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32508
    Platform: desktop PC | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | Controller: ThrustMaster T150
    CPU: Intel i7-4790K 4GHz quad-core | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB PCIe3.0x16 | Display: Asus VG248QE 24-inch 144Hz 1ms 1920x1080
    System SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB SATA3 | Game SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA3
    The following user likes this Post: Scuderia Paul

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorWay View Post
    I'm all in favor of measures to stop trolling wreckers, but collision count alone can be misleading - just because you're in a collision doesn't necessarily mean it's your fault.
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32508
    It's not based on one collision but an average so yes it may hit the odd clean driver once in a blue moon but if it helps reduce the number of wreckers it has to be an improvement.

Anything is worth trying surly, do nothing is going to kill the game for the casual racer over time.
    System: i5 750 @ 3.4GHz (currently stock 2.66GHz), 16GB RAM, (GTX680 GPU RIP) ,GTX 1060, Gigabyte GA/P55-UD5 Logitech G25 wheel (Falling apart),win7 64/ Win XP 32 SP3, all drivers upto date.

Platform
    PC
    If the programming can't accurately & consistently determine who is at fault in every collision, then lobby wreckers would be a much bigger problem because they would potentially increase the collision count for everyone they ram - which would then make all the clean victims look like trolls with high collision counts. Not only would trolls have the power ruin your race, they'd also have the power ruin your rep along with it.

I'm not at all suggesting that nothing should be done about trolling wreckers. I'm suggesting that this option has strong potential to cause more problems than it solves.

I think one of the quickest, easiest, & most effective routes would be to simply allows lobby hosts to kick players without a vote at any point during a session (without needing to wait until the session is over & they're back at the lobby wait screen).

...Yes, some lobby hosts may abuse that feature to kick people just for being faster, but I think the rate of occurrence for that type of behavior would be much lower than the rate of rampant ramming that the feature would reduce.
    Last edited by OperatorWay; 03-07-2015 at 23:25.
    Platform: desktop PC | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | Controller: ThrustMaster T150
    CPU: Intel i7-4790K 4GHz quad-core | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz
    Video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB PCIe3.0x16 | Display: Asus VG248QE 24-inch 144Hz 1ms 1920x1080
    System SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB SATA3 | Game SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA3
    The following 2 users likes this Post: madmax2069, WARDOGZ.UK

Platform
    PC
    So many suggestions have been offered some of them crap and some good I just hope something gets done about it .
    l Processor lIntel Core i7 4790k @4ghz l Video Card lMsi Geforce GTX 970 l Wheel lLogitech G27 l Network card l Atheros killer E2200 Series Gigabit Lan l PSU l Be Quiet 580W Straight Power 10 l Memory l 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz l Mainboard l Asrock Fatality Z97 Killer l Soundcard l Onboard Purity Sound l Monitor l Samsung Syncmaster S23B300 l OS l Windows 7 Home Proffesional X64

Umer Ahmad
    Ian mentioned about a month back they are investigatin how to ghost some of these guys. At least the guys who just park on the track.

Platform
    PC
    I think it's a great idea OP has.
    When you drive 5 races with 1 collision for example, you're a very safe driver. even if you make 1 collision in the next 3 races each you are still rated safe, but tbh if you want to drive safe you don't collide so easy...

Suggestions:
    - Only collisions from the front of the car are rated (so when someone bumps into your back you don't have to worry)
    - The power of the impact is important. Maybe it is possible to measure the power or the speed of the impact so that small little kisses on the ass are not rated because that's normal at racing.

I don't know how this system is programmable or if it's even possible.. but... heck.. you programmed a whole tyre model so why not. Maybe something for pCars 2?

3 Stages like "Safe driver", "likes it rough" , "demolition man" would be nice
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Luke Townsend, NutsMammoth

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Great posts, thanks for thinking about this.

Yes, wreckers will push up your collision count too, but it will push theirs up as well.

Why it doesn't matter who caused a collision when you count collisions per mile...

Some very basic maths to see how this might work in practice. Consider an example 10 lap race:

Wrecker drives a couple of laps maybe 3. For a 2 mile circuit that's 6 race miles. He then decides to sit on a bend crashing into everyone he can - and some cars will get hit more than once since they are going to pass him each lap.) He could clock up 20 collisions, probably more. His collision to miles driven ratio will be 20/6 = 3.3333.

Now think about the poor guy trying to play but getting wrecked each lap by the wrecker. Maybe he has a couple of accidental collisions at the start. On lap 3 he encounters the wrecker. The wrecker smashes into him twice on that lap. Then the wrecker does it again on lap 4! Over the next couple laps the wrecker hits him another couple of times. On lap 6 the player quits due to frustration. So...He's driven 6 laps, 12 racing miles. He's had 8 collisions. His collision to miles ratio is therefore 8/12 = 0.6667.

So the wreckers collision/mile ratio is 3.333 and the very unlucky player who gets taken out by him multiple times has a ratio of 0.6667. So the ratios are miles apart and a threshold could safely be put somewhere (e.g. 2 collisions/mile as an example). Can you see how this would not exclude unlucky players, but would only catch the blatant wreckers? That threshold may well need tweaking when it plays out so start it high (meaning it might not catch every wrecker) and reduce it if required.

Ghosting could be cool! However, personally on other games that do this I find in the heat of battle ghost cars distract me a lot and I can crash in the process trying to avoid them - that's probably me as I am definitely not one of the most naturally talented drivers on here! I am though hoping ghosting will have a side effect on these "lovely" people - if greifers are ghosted when they try to wreck they will hopefully get bored...and leave us in peace!
    Last edited by Luke Townsend; 11-07-2015 at 21:36.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Jason Ganz, NutsMammoth