Thread: Formula A Thoughts

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC

Talking Formula A Thoughts

Hello all!

I haven't seen any threads specifically addressing Formula A so I thought I would start one. I have been playing through the season in Career mode and have found many peculiarities which are still around with Patch 2.0. I still quite enjoy these cars but would love to see an improvement in this top level of open wheel racing in the game. I am quite alright if it is behind current F1 regs, no big deal but would like to see somethings fixed/addressed.

1) AI seem to have no issue warming up brakes out of the pits. Tires aren't an issue in this series and the brakes heat up within a lap but it makes pit outs in practice/qualification out laps a bit tricky sometimes.
    2) DRS? Cool! It works all the time however, not just in special zones and within a second of a leading car. It is cool to include this but It becomes quite useless if everyone can use it all the time.
    3) AI seem to have DRS open all the time. I see them often using in turns where in reality they would be spinning out or very slow going. It sure makes me spin out if I forget to close it in a sweeper.
    4) Blue flagged in qualifying even during hot lap when passing slower driver. I have seen this at multiple tracks. I get blue flagged going around a slower driver until I pull away. My engineer says to let the 'leader' by.
    5) KERS system doesnt seem to work like I have seen in other games. It shows a current charge level not current available. I would rather have what is available and see it reset at start line like the older KERS did.
    6) Brake temps too high. I don't know if this is specific to Formula A but 100% pressure and 100% open ducts still can have overheating. I don't know what is too hot for this car or any car. Not really a defect but wish there was a way to know what the spec for a car is and then monitor telemetry to figure out best setup.
    7) Not just Formula A, but on Monaco I would love a wheel lock setting. The hotel hairpin is brutal in most cars as they just aren't designed for that turn normally. It makes it just brutal to race there.
    8) On Sakitto (Almost Suzuka) I have noticed the cars slow down too much on the left turn bast the underpass where it bypasses the real world hairpin. I had a 3 ish second faster qualifying lap on 100%. Not sure if this is FA only but it nearly caused a few crashes for me.

I do enjoy these cars and hope to see them tweaked into more awesomeness. Any more items I missed?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I find the behaviour of the car can be strange when downshifting to 2nd gear at times, even at very low speeds which should be fine for 2nd. It seems to happen mainly if you shift down while turning.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chese View Post
    Hello all!

I haven't seen any threads specifically addressing Formula A so I thought I would start one. I have been playing through the season in Career mode and have found many peculiarities which are still around with Patch 2.0. I still quite enjoy these cars but would love to see an improvement in this top level of open wheel racing in the game. I am quite alright if it is behind current F1 regs, no big deal but would like to see somethings fixed/addressed.

1) AI seem to have no issue warming up brakes out of the pits. Tires aren't an issue in this series and the brakes heat up within a lap but it makes pit outs in practice/qualification out laps a bit tricky sometimes.
    2) DRS? Cool! It works all the time however, not just in special zones and within a second of a leading car. It is cool to include this but It becomes quite useless if everyone can use it all the time.
    3) AI seem to have DRS open all the time. I see them often using in turns where in reality they would be spinning out or very slow going. It sure makes me spin out if I forget to close it in a sweeper.
    4) Blue flagged in qualifying even during hot lap when passing slower driver. I have seen this at multiple tracks. I get blue flagged going around a slower driver until I pull away. My engineer says to let the 'leader' by.
    5) KERS system doesnt seem to work like I have seen in other games. It shows a current charge level not current available. I would rather have what is available and see it reset at start line like the older KERS did.
    6) Brake temps too high. I don't know if this is specific to Formula A but 100% pressure and 100% open ducts still can have overheating. I don't know what is too hot for this car or any car. Not really a defect but wish there was a way to know what the spec for a car is and then monitor telemetry to figure out best setup.
    7) Not just Formula A, but on Monaco I would love a wheel lock setting. The hotel hairpin is brutal in most cars as they just aren't designed for that turn normally. It makes it just brutal to race there.
    8) On Sakitto (Almost Suzuka) I have noticed the cars slow down too much on the left turn bast the underpass where it bypasses the real world hairpin. I had a 3 ish second faster qualifying lap on 100%. Not sure if this is FA only but it nearly caused a few crashes for me.

I do enjoy these cars and hope to see them tweaked into more awesomeness. Any more items I missed?
    2: As designed, the FA is supposed to resemble but not replicate the 2011 season, where DRS could be used as much as drivers dared during practice and qualifying.
    3: Known issue
    4: Applies to all cars as far as I know in pCARS. It would be nice if this could be tweaked.
    5: Known issue
    6: Optimum braking for the FA is ~650-700C (~150-200C warmer than the GT3 cars for example). The pit engineer does say when your brakes over overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by mermoid View Post
    I find the behaviour of the car can be strange when downshifting to 2nd gear at times, even at very low speeds which should be fine for 2nd. It seems to happen mainly if you shift down while turning.
    You could either try increasing the value of engine braking (to prevent the rear drive wheels locking up), or increase final drive, or let the engine speed drop more before dropping down to 2nd gear.
    i7 5820k @ stock (for now) | Gigabye X99 Gaming 5P | 16GB DDR4 3000MHz @2133 (for now) | Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | Fanatec GT3 RS v1 & Clubsport Pedals | Windows 10 home| Samsung 512GB NMVe | 512GB MX100 SSD | BenQ XL2730Z

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    You could either try increasing the value of engine braking (to prevent the rear drive wheels locking up), or increase final drive, or let the engine speed drop more before dropping down to 2nd gear.
    I'll give the engine braking a go, I've fiddled with the ratios already without much luck. I'm actually decently quick in the car (1:31.6XX or so at Silverstone) but this catches me out at times and doesn't happen in the lower Formula cars (or other games, for what it's worth). It happens at like <40mph at times so I don't think it's speed. I've actually taken to staying in 3rd through corners and only shifting to 2nd right before I get back on the throttle to avoid it.
    The following user likes this Post: Psychomatrix

Platform
    XBOX1
    I'm dealing with this issue since release. I've used 2nd only when it's a must. It's seems that the rear axis blocked at that speed but only in 2nd gear. On a track like azure/ monaco you can see that it have nothing to do with speed. After the blocking rear the car needs sometimes time to react normal. It's a bit like driving on soap. Very strange. The overheating brakes seems to me not normal. Because even when I brake gentle the brakes overheating. Seems that the front brakes are the reason.
    If life gives you lemons than make lemonade out of it
    Xbox gamertag Psychomantyx .....
    Favorite Racinggames: Assetto Corsa - PCars - F1 2017 and lot others since Grand Prix Legends ..........