Thread: Impact calculations, how do they work?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Question Impact calculations, how do they work?

This is in relation to the dedicated server log data.

If you look at impacts caused you can see that sometimes it logs the impact for both participants, or sometimes only for one of the two participants.
    Now, I'm sure this is because of some kind of "equal fault" calculation.

My question is about an incident which got logged as "my fault" the other day.

The story:

I started in the middle of the grid with 14 participants at Oulton Park International.
    Turn 1 went fine, then at turn 2 I might have used my brakes a little too hard.
    The guy behind me lightly bumped into me with a magnitude of 533.

So, I'm the only one which got "tagged" for this collision, and I assume the game somehow decided it was my fault because of the braking?
    The starts can be very hard since everyone is so close to each other, but I was sure the one behind was at fault for not keeping the distance/causing the collision.
    I had to brake earlier and hard because the car in front was braking too, since the car in front of that car also had to brake, you know how it goes at race starts

Now, the one who bumped into me did not get tagged for an impact.

This makes me very curious about how impacts are calculated. What makes it log an impact? How does it know whose fault it was?
    System: Win 10 x64, i5 3570K @4.2GHz, Asus P8Z77-V Pro, 16GB DDR3 ram, MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming edition, HTC Vive, T500rs with GTE wheel + Ferrari F1 wheel + TH8A shifter + playseat
    Settings: All on lowest in hardware except Texture stuff on max.
    Launch options: -dx11mt -pthreads 4 -skipcrowds -vrnomirror

Stepan Vondrak
    I'm the only one which got "tagged"
    How exactly were you the only one tagged? Which one of these:
    a) The impact was reported by you, and there was no other participant
    b) The impact was reported by you with another participant in the log event, but it was never reported by other participant

(a) means a collision between you and the world, with nobody else involved

So I assume you mean (b), which is collision detected on your computer, with the other participant. That does not in any way mean that it's "your fault". The impact events do not evaluate who was at fault in any way ; who is the reporting player and who is the other participant in the collision (in the event's data) does not in any way imply who caused the collision. It just implies who detected the collision.

Because of the asymmetric collision detection system it's possible that A collides with B but only one of them detects the collision, because each client evaluates their own collisions with everyone else, based on movement data received from other players. For example, Bob drives very close behind John, and John suddenly starts braking. Bob notices this and manages to also brake soon enough, and very closely evades the collision, so Bob does not hit John from his point of view. But because of network latency, the fact that Bob slows down is transferred to John a bit later, and from John's point of view Bob hits him from behind. Therefore, John reports the collision while Bob does not - because that's how they each saw the encounter. This looks like exactly what happened to you. But it does not mean that it was your fault, that's not what the log events mean.
    The following user likes this Post: Mattias

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Ah, I see, so he never hit me on his screen?

You can see what I'm talking about here: http://ukcd.enjin.com/dsoverview
    Go to game #71 and click my name in Race1, you can see I reported a collision with Kris. (names in incidents also clickable)
    But he never reported the collision.

Looking around the incidents there you can see most of the time only one participant reports the collisions.

Thanks for explaining this!

Makes it easier to read the history data I've collected.
    But also harder to see whose at fault.

This also means replays from different players can vary a lot when it comes to impacts?

In this one case it seems I was the only one affected, since I lost my cornering ability going off the road.
    System: Win 10 x64, i5 3570K @4.2GHz, Asus P8Z77-V Pro, 16GB DDR3 ram, MSI GTX 970 4GB Gaming edition, HTC Vive, T500rs with GTE wheel + Ferrari F1 wheel + TH8A shifter + playseat

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I have gotten reports that there have been collisions which the server hasn't logged for either participant.
    Collisions which can later on be seen in the replays.

Does it not log the collision if it's a minor incident?
    Like some kind of threshold limit.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Sorry to bring this up again, but I have now noticed something I believe should have been logged but wasn't.

Here is the incident which wasn't logged: https://youtu.be/IMvEEx2443M?t=527

This can be seen if going here: http://ukcd.enjin.com/dsoverview
    Under game #107 (the silverstone gp sprint race) go under the race1 stage and click my name, or even Grom's name which was the other participant.

None of us had the incident logged, how come?
    Was it not incident enough for the server?

Stepan Vondrak
    That depends entirely on the game logic, if it gameplay systems report an incident, I send it to the dedicated server and log it. So this question is more for gameplay or physics coders. I think the game goes only by the impact strength, it does not try to evaluate the consequences. So yep this nudge might be considered to low-impact by the game to be reported.
    The following user likes this Post: Mattias