Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain causes Cars to lose all traction and must limp back to pits under 50mph

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Rain causes Cars to lose all traction and must limp back to pits under 50mph

Race: Online and offline
    Track: Bathurst and other tracks affected
    Car: Mclaren GT3 other cars affected as well
    Weather: clear that turns to heavy rain after 3 laps

Since the 2.0 patch cars have been losing all traction when it rains. My wheel goes loose brakes lose function and eventually slide or spin to a stop. At which point it is difficult to get moving again. If you make any wheel movements or go above 50mph the car will just spin out or get stuck in the grass.

I would expect some much slower lap times and a slippery track but this is completely undriveable. It is apparent to me that not everyone was seeing the same issue as half of the field ended up in the grass with me while some others were cruising around the track just fine.

Honestly what it feels like is having no tires at all and just trying to drive on the rims.

UPDATE:
    I think the behavior may be correct after watching videos of cars in the wet on slicks. There still seem to be bugs here though.
    1. In some career races they start you on slicks when they should probably be starting you on wet tires
    2. If the AI is on slicks in the wet they are still really really fast so you will quickly drop from first to last while you limp to the pits

I did not have time to make a good video but there are glimpses of what the AI can do versus traction for mere humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjb3...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by dresified; 12-07-2015 at 00:25. Reason: UPDATED based on responses
    CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R ll MOBO: MSI Z77A-G45 ll CPU: i5 3570K @ 4 Ghz ll GPU: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 970 ll RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz ll SSD: Kingston Hyper X 3K 120GB ll HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB ll Windows 8.1 x64 ll WHEEL: Fanatec CSWv1 ll MONITORS: 3 x AOC 60Hz 27” 5760x1080 surround
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hardlock, Tomcul

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dresified View Post

Since the 2.0 patch cars have been losing all traction when it rains. My wheel goes loose brakes lose function and eventually slide or spin to a stop. At which point it is difficult to get moving again. If you make any wheel movements or go above 50mph the car will just spin out or get stuck in the grass.

I would expect some much slower lap times and a slippery track but this is completely undriveable. It is apparent to me that not everyone was seeing the same issue as half of the field ended up in the grass with me while some others were cruising around the track just fine.

Honestly what it feels like is having no tires at all and just trying to drive on the rims.
    Are you sure, that you did not just go over the limit.
    Just remember, SLICK tyres have a completly smoot surface, and aquaplan very quicky, and they will NOT have any traction in standing water, or on the wet grass.
    They have immense traction in dry, but they are like driving on ice, in the rain, once water fills the track.

Could you provide a video for the devs? That would be really helpful, OR if you could re-create the session again, and someone would do a video on this.

NOTE: I am not saying, that it is your driving, that is fault, I just pointed out some other possibilities, as I find that these cars with slicks behave realistic in the rain.
    Roland | Németh
    Driving an: Intel Core i7-870; 16GB RAM; nVidia GTX 770; Logitech Momo Racing
    Shooting a: Canon 5Ds with 85mm "L" glass
    The following user likes this Post: Photonenbert

Moderator+WMD 1/2 Member Siberian Tiger's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Clear to Heavy Rain in 3 Laps does say it all

It's simply to much water on the Track that you can drive with slicks!
    Member Status: WMD 1 Senior x3 / WMD2 Gold
    Portable System: Dell XPS 17 Notebook CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @2.2 GHZ , RAM: 8GB, GPU: NVIDIA GForce GT555M, HDD: WD 2.5" Notebook 500GB, OS: Windows 7 64-bit,Wheel: Logitech G25, Sound: NVidia Onboard Soundcard
    Gaming System AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 / i7 7700K with Antec H2o 920 Liquid Cooling System / PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 680W / GPU: MSI Gaming GTX1070 (OC) / RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance / SSD: 250GB Samsung Basic 840 / HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black / OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Wheel: Thrustmaster T500RS - Standart GT Rim / Monitor: Epson EH-TW3200 Homecinema 16:9 Full HD Beamer / RacingSeat: Playseat with some Modifications...
    The following user likes this Post: Photonenbert

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I think in most cars 50mph is about the cut off point below which you shouldn't aquaplane regardless of tyre (due to the weight of the car).
    I'm talking real life there, but it seems that's in game too.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Are you on wet tyres...?

This accords with what I recently saw testing our formula student slicks. I wasn't even heavy rain, by far and the car was undriveable (while being very driveable with wet tires). And our slicks is an extremly soft compound with lots of hysteresis.

2 years ago in le mans when the Aston stayed out in rain, he couldn't even follow the pace of the safty car.
    System
    Intel i7 860@3,5GHz Watercooled ¬ GTX 480@850MHz Watercooled ¬ Cooled by 2x XSPC RX240 ¬ G.Skill ECO 4GB DDR3-1600 CL7-8-7-24 @ 1.35V ¬ MSi H55M-ED55 ¬ Creative-Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer ¬ Samsung SSD 830 ¬ Samsung 2233RZ 120Hertz 1680x1050 ¬ Roccat Kave ¬ Wheel: Fanatec CSR Elite wheel + Fanatec CSR Elite pedals
    ¬ Gamepad: THRUSTMASTER Dual Trigger 3-in-1 V.2 ¬ Win7x64

[RSR] RevolutionSimRacing Member [RSR] Car Setup wisenheimer
    The following user likes this Post: bmanic

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I am experiencing the same bug even when I put wet tyre on.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dresified View Post

yesterday was in a 4 lap sprint on the monza short, the 1st lap went fine, the 2nd lap was really bad because i had slicks on and forgot to go back to auto weather. lost a lap as i went to change tyres. as for rain races, i have had no problem racing in wet conditions on the game, you have to be less aggressive with the car and react to what happens, usually in the mclaren 12c there is a bit of oversteer coming out, if not immediately corrected with controlled acceleration the chances are it will come right around or you over correct and you end up hit the opposite wall. counter steering and bravery in the corners are a must, but aggression does not serve you in wet conditions.
    | MoBo: X79 Extreme6/GB | Socket : i7-3820 @ 3.6GHZ | PSU: Silent Pro 1200W | HDD: 1TB Sata drive | GFX: EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 4GB | Mem: 16GB Corsair DDR3 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit | BenQ Senseye 22" 2ms | Drivers all up to date | Net Connection based on BT line reliability (For what little thats worth!) |

Car Physics and AI
    Driving much more than 1 lap in the rain on slicks with accelerated weather (rain coming quickly) is going to be near death on slicks. About 3 laps will work with real weather progression.
    The following user likes this Post: GenBrien

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I think the behavior may be correct after watching videos of cars in the wet on slicks. There still seem to be bugs here though.
    1. In some career races they start you on slicks when they should probably be starting you on wet tires
    2. If the AI is on slicks in the wet they are still really really fast so you will quickly drop from first to last while you limp to the pits

I did not have time to make a good video but there are glimpses of what the AI can do versus traction for mere humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjb3...ature=youtu.be
    CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R ll MOBO: MSI Z77A-G45 ll CPU: i5 3570K @ 4 Ghz ll GPU: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 970 ll RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz ll SSD: Kingston Hyper X 3K 120GB ll HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB ll Windows 8.1 x64 ll WHEEL: Fanatec CSWv1 ll MONITORS: 3 x AOC 60Hz 27” 5760x1080 surround