Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rain causes Cars to lose all traction and must limp back to pits under 50mph

Platform
    PC
    Not only do you have to adjust your driving STYLE, but also your driving LINE in the wet. Don't take the normal line in the corners as you will have ZERO grip. All that rubber on the racing line helps in the dry, but turns to oil covered ice in the wet.

This is something not many people realize, especially if Project CARS is their first true "sim" experience.
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - ADATA 12GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX1060 AMP! 6GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3

Platform
    PC
    I tested this out. I find it to be pretty accurate. I guessed the best time to head for the pits with increasing clouds and just start to rain. Guess wrong and you will be making one super slow lap to pit. At the start I choose soft slick, when I pit I edit the strategy and make sure to choose ALL four extreme wet or wet tires and YES to change tires. So obviously you still have to drive slower, but I can be competitive with the AI. I do find they are quite good in the wet though.
    CPU I7 6850K/MB MSI X99A Godlike/MEM DDR4 G.Skill 3200 MHz 32GB/GPU GTX 1080 FTW 8GB SLI (376.33)/SSD Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB, 850 EVO SATA 1TB/HDD WD Raptor 1TB/PSU Corsair AX1200/OS 10 64 Pro/Display Acer X34 (3440 x 1440) , Oculus/Wheel CSW V2/Pedals V2

Platform
    PC
    I really thought that this issue would be fixed by now? Going from a 2015 version to current (11.2.00) it helps that the weather now has a forecast so one can know to put on rain tires in advance when predicted but even then, I found that without warning my car can become totally undriveable.

AI cars don't miss a beat and ANY throttle response throws my car out of control from the 1st instance on.

If I don't turn and barely accelerate, I can coast in control okay but that's not acceptable. Not sure if car is programmed to lose it once you spin or hit a wall or other off-track error but once you do, you're done. Still testing this issue but I have hundreds of hours on the original non-updated version and now quite a few hours on the latest one. I had heard that the "land mines" bug was fixed but this issue sure seems similar.

I love this sim with a passion and hope that the developers won't abandon it just because #2 is coming out.

If anyone else wants to test, I found it in the M1 historic challenge at Zolder round 2/4.

Platform
    PS4
    Have you driven slick tyres in the rain?
    I have: go-kart on a wet outdoor track. Slick tyres. Traction = oil on a new frying pan. So a car would be that much worse.
    Even worn road tyres in heavy rain is a wayward experience.
    How much traction do you expect to have on a wet track in a powerful race car on slicks trying to drive fast?
    Box at the first sign of rain, or start the race on inter/wet tyres if the rain begins early in the race.

Edit: development of PC1 is over as far as I'm aware. There hasn't been a patch for a year+ and I'm not expecting another.
    Pc2 in a few weeks.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings (PC1).
    G29 FFB RAW 100-55-20-25

Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the reply. Guess you missed that I started the race with wet tires since the forecast was for rain and from experience knew the default if not already raining would be soft tires.

The only thing realistic I can figure is after 2 laps on dry track with rain tires they wore out about the time it started raining? If so, tire color didn't change (wear setting off).

Guess I'll never win a 2 or 3 lap race this way if I have to pit and no one else does?
    Last edited by hardlock; 28-08-2017 at 01:08.

Platform
    PC
    Update - tested race a couple times and replicated issue. Same thing, undriveable after mid 3rd lap with rain tires installed at start of race. Feels like on slicks.

Then again tried starting with wet tires. Rain starts mid lap 2 so pitted and changed tires to wet again. 3rd lap felt as normally driven with wet tires and rain. No problems (except last in race of course).

Best I can figure, program doesn't accept me changing to rain tires at start of race? Bummer...

Platform
    PS4
    Sorry I misread the part.
    Light rain conditions can overheat the rain tyres that'll make them slide.
    Heavy rain, like storm/thunderstorm conditions, also make the track super slippery, because there's too much water on the track. Also the tyres start to cool off further losing grip.
    You just have to slow your pace right down.
    Soft spring rates and low acceleration lock will help.
    Also manual gears, where you don't shift gears mid-corner.
    The slight bumps and crests at zolder also make it difficult to keep traction.

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings (PC1).
    G29 FFB RAW 100-55-20-25
    The following user likes this Post: Fanapryde

Platform
    PC

Not sure how fast they were going but on slicks it was extremely difficult for many pro drivers to get around.

MB Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe // CPU Intel i5 3570K // RAM G.Skill 16GB DDR3 @2133MHz // GPU Gigabyte nVidia Titan X // HDD 4x 2TB Western Digital // SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

CPU Cooler Corsair H80 // Case CoolerMaster 650 Silencio // Display ASUS PG34Q 34" 3440x1400 100Hz G-SYNC LCD // Speakers Logitech Z5500-D 5.1ch // OS Windows 10 Pro x64// Build Default Parameters

VR Oculus Rift CV1 // Wheel Fanatec CSR Elite // Pedals Fanatec Clubsport // Shifter Thrustmaster TH8RS with InterfaceOne wheel adapter // Head Tracking TrackIR v4 // Audio Transducer ButtKicker Gamer v2.0 // Seat PlaySeat Executive
    The following user likes this Post: Fanapryde