Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW M3 GT3 - Watkins Glen... help!!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

BMW M3 GT3 - Watkins Glen... help!!

Need any help I can get with this. I'm racing in the GT3 Career and 80% difficulty is about my limit. I get nice close races on most tracks, I just can't compete at Watkins Glen however. The AI are much faster than me on straights and around corners. I'm dropping between 3 and 5 seconds per lap to them, dry or wet. I've tried softening suspension and raising ride height. I've tried messing with gear ratios. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of.

Any ideas? I'm in the BMW M3 GT3 by the way.
    Playstation 4 DualShock 4. Racing since '82

Platform
    PS4
    give this setup a try, it's not mine by the way

http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/23182162

Is it just straight line speed you struggle with or corner exit? If you could upload a quick video we could have a look.

There was also a thread about how the M3 is the least competitive within the GT3 cars as it's not actually a GT3 car.
    YouTube Channel
    Official Host for UK PS4 pad users Sunday Racers thread
    My setups, mostly GT3 Pcars Setup Website
    PSN: jimmy_b_84
    GT3 Pit Stop Guide Strategy Calculator (Version 2 for Open Office and Google Sheets)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Thanks, yeah I saw that tune and a different one earlier whilst searching the forum. I'll give it a pop later and report back.

Straight line speed and mid/exit corner grip. The AI hold a better line at a higher speed. I wouldn't call it understeer, just feels strange how they keep so much speed through the corners, accelerating way before I can.

Didn't want the M3 to be fair but prefer it to the other 2 contracts I was offered.
    Playstation 4 DualShock 4. Racing since '82

Platform
    XBOX1
    As Jimmy said it is the least competitive of the GT cars so they will always have a slight advantage on you, hopefully you can get steered into a good setup
    The following user likes this Post: jimmyb_84

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenballs2003 View Post
    Thanks, yeah I saw that tune and a different one earlier whilst searching the forum. I'll give it a pop later and report back.

Straight line speed and mid/exit corner grip. The AI hold a better line at a higher speed. I wouldn't call it understeer, just feels strange how they keep so much speed through the corners, accelerating way before I can.

Didn't want the M3 to be fair but prefer it to the other 2 contracts I was offered.
    If your still having problems let us know we'll try and help. To be honest ive not even driven this car yet I might give it a go at watkins glen, see if I can get the time down.
    YouTube Channel
    Official Host for UK PS4 pad users Sunday Racers thread
    My setups, mostly GT3 Pcars Setup Website
    PSN: jimmy_b_84
    GT3 Pit Stop Guide Strategy Calculator (Version 2 for Open Office and Google Sheets)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Also on some tracks the AI cars have crazy speed. I did a race with them on Silverstone Internstion in GT3 cars, AI on 100%. In free practice a few of them hit times that'd have put them in the top 100 on the leaderboard with 1.02.0xx. This is on Xbox 1. For some reason they were a bit slower in the race hitting low-to-mid 3s and I was able to win.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I created this setup in May for Watkins Glen short. I dont know how good it is today, can you teest it?

http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/271342236

Platform
    PC
    Doug914, the main guy who sets the AI has driven Watkins Glen thousands of times in real life, so he might have set the bar a bit high on that one. Can't you just knock 5% off the AI?
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP 8Gb/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Logitech G29+G25 shifter.

Platform
    PS4
    Watkins is a great track. I've spent a lot of time tuning and testing there.
    Then one day a bloke (in this forum) joined a Lotus 98T and P30 race with me and destroyed us all with an almost-standard setup. His advise: brake a little early!
    It's a wide track and we always brake late to try push for faster times, but reality is that braking so late cooks the front tires momentarily so we lose corner speed and understeer, often also missing the apex. When the fronts are less loaded you can push the throttle on the exit more which is more crucial to good lap times than super late braking, on this particular track.

Tuning tip: also try high downforce. The straights are short and the corners are fast so more aero grip should help. I'd advise against a jacked ride.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    You put your left pedal in, You take your left pedal out,
    You put your right pedal in, And you slide it all about...
    G29 settings.
    The following user likes this Post: Pyromaniak666

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Watkins is a great track. I've spent a lot of time tuning and testing there.
    Then one day a bloke (in this forum) joined a Lotus 98T and P30 race with me and destroyed us all with an almost-standard setup. His advise: brake a little early!
    It's a wide track and we always brake late to try push for faster times, but reality is that braking so late cooks the front tires momentarily so we lose corner speed and understeer, often also missing the apex. When the fronts are less loaded you can push the throttle on the exit more which is more crucial to good lap times than super late braking, on this particular track.

Tuning tip: also try high downforce. The straights are short and the corners are fast so more aero grip should help. I'd advise against a jacked ride.
    A lot of people don't seem to realize that higher downforce on some tracks will actually make them faster.
    Last edited by Roger Prynne; 12-07-2015 at 10:40.
    Addressing expectations on realism and simulation - Project CARS PC Leaderboards - Learn how to race properly - Forum Resources for Pcars
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A good explanation of the different tyre types - FFB Guide - Official FFB Guide - A new home for all your setups - How to use the Advance Search
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 378.66)| Displays: 50" LG 4K UHD TV 3840x2160 @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim brake mod (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - Anniversary