Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about... damages

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Let's talk about... damages

Hi everyone !

First of all, I want to say that I love Project CARS. I'm not a hater, I don't want to get my money back, I bought the two released add-on and I will buy the next one, and the one after, etc.
    I consider PCars as the most entertaining, exciting and addicting race game that I was able to play.

I think it was important to introduce my post like this.

Now. Let's talk about damages. If you read my previous sentences properly, you noticed that I said "race game" and not "race simulation".
    Why ?
    Because, and this is my point of view of mine said by me (if you did not understood here that I'm not saying that as the global and general and universal Truth, then, I don't know what to do), PCars is not a simulation.

What ! What ? What!?

Yes, Sir.

But the other games in the market sold which-must-not-be-named (joke here ah) are not simulation too.

So. Why do I say that ? Really, why ?

Because racing experience is based on three things, three pillars (still my point of view) : realistic driving (cars reactions, acceleration, bracking, FFB etc...), realistic sceneries/tracks and (the most important point, to me again).... yes, you're right the dwarf in the background, damages.

OK. We all here agree on the two first points. And damages, OK, maybe, but PCars simulates them too.

Yep, partly. Your engine breaks when you're not shifting well, you can lose a wheel on hard contact, you can have flat tyres, suspensions breaks, gearbox problems. Well, yes, you're right.

But to break a part in PCars, you have to crash really, really, hard.

Let's ask a question : What happen to a Ferrari 458 who hits a pavement edge and a light post, @40/45 kph ?

It becomes... a ruin !

And here you will tell me : you liar !

Nope. Here a proof :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86689-NUTcq863PMTSgnuDcppeTA.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	212440

It happens in Geneva (I'm living here).

So no need to talk about racing cars, hitting walls at 100/150/200/250 kpm. I think you can imagine how the cars end. And you know that, because you watch various kind of races like me.

So my point is : PCars don't simulate this. The body damages, and the technical failures are not realistic. And this impacts the racing experience.
    Why racing is difficult ? Yes because you have to control your car, during 10/20/30 or 40+ laps. But, also, you have to control your car without destroying it !!! And the fear of hitting a wall, the anxiety to be involved in a crash, knowing that if you hit anything during the race, it might be over for you, these feeling make the race a heady time.
    And here, you can hit a wall at 160 kph / 90 mph without having a mechanical failure.

So, I think this is over for PC1, but anything planned for PC2 to improve that point ?

And you, what do you think ? Am I wrong ?

Thanks for reading my long post, written in a pretty bad English. (Hey I'm french !)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Angst1974, KK78

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    There is not that much body damage (as per your pic) in pCARS because the manufacturers of those cars don't allow it.
    So SMS is restricted in these circumstances.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

The following 7 users likes this Post: DrKabel, Fight-Test, John Hargreaves, KkDrummer, Pirategenius, SphereOfChaos, TheReaper GT

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Prynne View Post
    There is not that much body damage (as per your pic) in pCARS because the manufacturers of those cars don't allow it.
    So SMS is restricted in these circumstances.
    There is more than body damages in my pic, but anyway, restricted by manufacturers. Really ?
    Nothing to do against this idiotic thought ?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    45 Kph?? It's folded like a Fiat 126 :S

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee2001 View Post
    45 Kph?? It's folded like a Fiat 126 :S
    Yep, 45 kph. Witnesses of the crash said the driver was not in overspeed, as the cops report. He just lose control of his car for an unknown reason.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    There is no way that fezzer was doing 45kph. It was traveling well in excess of 100kph. That's a rough approximation from an accident expert (the wife, works for the traffic police). Who deals with this type of thing everyday.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by SinShaark View Post
    Nothing to do against this idiotic thought ?
    nop...

in the early days of PCars I remember that there were doors and other parts flying off cars. It was really cool.
    then we were told that X car company didn't approuve to see their car getting that kind of damage(because hitting a wall ,in a RACE car, @over 200kph and having your doors falling off is surely a proof that you fail at safety......)

Anyway, ingame right now you have the maximum damage that they are allowed to.
    Its not because they are lazy or don't want to put more features
    XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
    CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
    Keyboard: Logitech G15 Monitor: Lg 24'' 1920*1080 Mouse: G700s PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Logitech G27, TrackIr5
    Case: Cooler Master 690
    The following 3 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, KkDrummer, Pink_650S

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirategenius View Post
    There is no way that fezzer was doing 45kph. It was traveling well in excess of 100kph. That's a rough approximation from an accident expert (the wife, works for the traffic police). Who deals with this type of thing everyday.
    Well, I've doubt of this expertise, now, my uncle had an accident @50 kph with a Citroën C3 MK I, the car ends as a ruin. It was horrible, really, worst than here. And in this case, the car was @50 kph as per the police. That's all I can say.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I never thought they were lazy, just maybe due to a technical issue or limit and dev time problem...

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I'll admit, I've been baffled by what the cars in the game seemingly can drive away from without any problem.
    Sad that some people in the PR departements of various car companies think that realistic damage in a game will somehow damage their car sales or give them a bad reputation on safety. If people wonder how a certain car handles a collision, they'll Google it, not fire up pCARS, Assetto Corsa, GT or any other car game. In time, maybe the car industry will catch up and ease up on the ridiculous license restrictions.