Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Track Guide - BATHURST (EvoM3)

Platform
    PC

Advanced Track Guide - BATHURST (EvoM3)

Hi guys, I have over 20 world records at Bathurst. Firstly let me say, itís not because I am a naturally talented driver or because of time setting the car up. Fast laps are the product of experience, learning every bump and the way the car responds to each surface and direction change. Wasnt sure where to post this as it's partly setup but mostly driver development.

I have put together a guide for you to go fast at Bathurst. If you guys like this guide, I will do them for other tracks. Iíve written in a general sense where it can be applied to all cars. Obviously if you are looking to compete for a world record you will need to make small modifications to the guide to suit the car. For example, turbo cars need to be driven differently than naturally aspirated cars to make up for turbo lag.

General Car Setup (Bathurst) Disclaimer. The biggest improvement in your lap times comes from driving. Not from car setup. Going fast not car setup, the car setup compliments your driving, not the other way around. Try focusing more on your driving, rather than car setup, it will give you bigger gains. Many of my world records are on the default car setup. The more time you spend fiddling with car setup itís more time you need to spend learning the car. Having said that, here is a basic guide for setting your car up for Bathurst:

- Increase front camber to maximum negative (most cars, except flat stiff cars like open wheel cars)
    - Reduce front and rear downforce from default to near minimum (most cars)
    - Extend final drive so you donít hit the limiter on Conrod Straight

General Driving Style (Bathurst)

Fast, technical and varying altitudes. This track has everything. Generally speed is king at Bathurst. A fast line, not the shortest line will give you the best lap time. Through the slower parts of the track you will rely on mechanical grip. The faster parts of the track rely on aero grip. To put it simply, you have to be travelling at a high speed to generate the grip you need, particularly true across the top of the mountain. Maintaining speed across the top is crucial. Despite itís long length there are only 7 points where you use the brakes on this track. I will details each of the corners and show you a fast lap around the track.

Turn 1 (Hell Corner - Left).

The key Ė Instead of focusing on braking late, brake EARLY and focus on getting on the power early (before the apex). This is more crucial than late braking because it helps you on the run up Mountain Straight. If you are not using all of the road on the right on corner exit, you need to carry more speed.

Turn 2 (Griffiths Bend - Right, start heading up the mountain).

The key Ė you can go much faster than you think. Tap the brakes, turn in hard but avoid using the kerb, usually 4th gear (depend on car), focus on full power early (around the apex), you should push wide and end up close to the wall on exit. There is extra road here because of the gate in the wall Ė use all of this road.

Turn 3, 4 and 5 (The Cutting - Left, left, right, climbing up the mountain).

The key Ė Do not brake, enter T3 from the middle and avoid the apex. This should push the car out to the right hand wall on exit, follow the wall to turn 4, brake in a straight line, turn in late and power on for a fast exit. Carry enough speed so that the car exits T4 mid track (you donít want to go too fast and end up near the wall on the right). Use the small straight to move back to the left wall before T5, avoid turning to T5 early, lift off gently, turn in, use the kerb on T5 apex, no brakes, get on the power early and use the kerb on exit of T5 if you need to.

Turn 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (small right and left, left, left, left across the top of the mountain).

The key Ė Speed. No brakes. Be brave. Itís actually one corner. Imagine itís just one big left handed sweeper and you are carving through the one corner. Use all of the road, including the kerbs on exit. If you scrape the car on the wall (donít bash it) on T9 exit, you are doing it right. T10 is flat out in most cars, some cars may require a small lift off. Lift off and turn in to the apex and avoid running too wide. (not much to be gained and the gravel starts right away)

Turn 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 (Skyline, The Esses, The Dipper - chicane, down the mountain).

The key Ė The approach is blind. Enter from the left but with the car on a path heading to the right. Drive straight through the chicane, use as much of the kerb as you can without upsetting the car. Brake in a straight line as you approach the dipper, do not follow the shape of the road. Drive straight through the chicane just missing the wall on your left as the road falls away and early power on exit. Use the apex kerb on the exit of T15. If you tap the wall on the left you are on the right track.

Turn 16, 17, 18 (Forrest Elbow - bottom of the mountain).

The key Ė 16 and 17 are easy, drive through the centre. The trick is T18 and the key is slow in, fast out. Focus on getting a good exit for a run down Conrod rather than braking late. Approach T18 from the centre, move to the right, brake earlier than you need to, keeping to the right, lift off, turn in, aim for the apex and go full noise. By the time you are exiting the corner the car should be pushing wide, use all of the track on exit. If you really want to take this corner quickly, while you are braking, accelerate at the same time as you go into the corner and let off the brake for an insanely fast exit down Conrod.

Turn 19 (small kink on conrod).

The key Ė nothing complicated here, you can stay flat in every car, briefly using the grass here on the inside is usually where you want the car.

Turn 20 (big kink on conrod).

The key Ė You will see a lot of fast drivers entering from the far left, almost on the wall. The truth is that you only need to do this in cars with low aero grip (like a V8 Supercar). In a GT3 or any open wheel car, just enter from the mid left. Donít make the track longer than it needs to be. Regardless, you should be flat out, no lift off through here.

Turn 21, 22 (The Chase entry).

The key Ė Brake early and again, focus on getting a fast exit rather than a fast entry. You should be back on the noise by the apex of T21 and remain flat all through T22 using the kerbs. Some cars may need a quick lift off to induce a tighter turn but this lift is only very brief. Your focus should go into a good exit for the run down the small straight leading to Murrays Corner.

Turn 23 (Murrays Corner).

The key Ė By now you may have realised that any corner with a straight after it should be handled by focusing on corner exit. This one is no different. Brake earlier than you need to avoid running wide (easy mistake to happen here because your brakes have just had a very big stop and may be fading). Get on the power before the apex for a good run down Main Straight.

Here is a lap in the Mclaren GT3 for reference. This setup is standard except for front camber (max negative):

Platform
    PC
    Great write up, Ty for taking the time and sharing.

You just got to love Bathurst!

Cheers

RU
    The only dumb Question is the one you don't ask!
    PC: M/Board:Gigabyte H97M-D3H l CPU: i5-4570[3.2Ghz] l GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX670 l HD: SSD 480Gb l Ram: 16Gb 1300MHz l OS: Win10 X64 CONTROLER: Fanatec GT2 Wheel l Clubsport Pedals V1 RIG: RU486GT V3.1[homemade] l Buttkicker Gamer2 MISC: Sony Bravia 42 HD 1920x1080 l Asus 22 [2nd screen] l Turtle Beach X41 H/set l SimCommander4 l PCars Dash
    The following user likes this Post: EvoM3

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by RU486 View Post
    Great write up, Ty for taking the time and sharing.

You just got to love Bathurst!

Cheers

RU
    Cheers man thank you!

Platform
    PC
    Really good write up EvoM3. Although it's not among my best circuits, I've always enjoyed Bath and this makes me want to put more time on it.
    | Lian-Li PC-08WX | i5-7600k@4.2GHz | Thermaltake Water 3.0 | 32GB g.Skill Trident Z RGB | Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 7 | Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Extreme | Samsung Pro 960 M.2 | Win10 | Accuforce Pro - custom Sparco Rim | Fanatec V3 Pedals w/Perf Mod | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter | Triple curved 27s | HTC Vive |

Platform
    XBOX1
    Excellent! I need a lot of help on this track. I'm just not fast through the esses. If you have the wherewithal to produce more track guides like this I would eagerly support that effort. Thanks!
    Strike 1: No mid-race saves. Strike 2: Dumbed down FFB for consoles. Strike 3: ?
    Xbox One | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: F1_Racer68

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Great write up and video for reference. I'd love to see more!

WMD Member
    Great tutorial, great lap, even if I think you can do 1 second better and maybe 2 seconds with a tuned setup.
    Too bad I can't used my wheel, Bathust is one of my favorite track

Maybe it lacks of setup insight tho :/
    Intel Core I5 2400 | MSI GTX770 Lightning SLi | 12 GB ram PC-15000 | Antec HCG 900w | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB * 2 | MSI Z68A-GD80
    Fanatec CSR + ClubSport v1.0 + Wheel stand.

WTFRUDOIN ?

Platform
    PS4
    He had stated, and I agree, that a fast time will be achieved by good driving more than a good setup.
    This is very much a track guide (a good one) and cars are too varied to give much setup information. Some cars come with good default setup and/or are well suited to the track. Others need much adjustment - what adjustments will be necessary will depend on the car as well as the driver.
    I wouldn't agree on maximum Negative camber - personally, I would adjust camber according to tire temperatures in telemetry at the start of Conrod. Apply just enough negative camber so that the outside edge is the same temp (or 1 degree less) as the middle of the tire just after Forrest's Elbow (turn 18).
    Instead of max top speed gear ratios - just enough that the car has ~500rpm remaining on top gear before the braking point of the chase (turn 21), in case there is a car ahead that I can draft behind for a higher top speed. But that is very much dependant on a TT or race setup and what car you drive.
    Last edited by hkraft300; 13-08-2015 at 15:44.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    You put your left pedal in, You take your left pedal out,
    You put your right pedal in, And you slide it all about...
    G29 settings (PC1).
    PC2 G29 ffb Raw 95-45-35-60
    The following user likes this Post: EvoM3

Platform
    PS4
    The track demands commitment and when you get it right, the sense of accomplishment is utterly superb. It is just so much fun.

Platform
    PS4
    Thank you , good drive