Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Street Car tire physics. HUGE improvement since patch 2.5 on PC. Major respect!

Platform
    PC

Street Car tire physics. HUGE improvement since patch 2.5 on PC. Major respect!

I don't usually create these kinds of threads but now I feel like it is warranted.

Doug, I do not know what you did to the street car tires or when they were improved but they are RIDICULOUSLY GOOD now!

In one single patch you've basically remedied absolutely every single point of critique I had with the various street cars in the physics part of the WMD forum. I mean.. take the Caterham R500 where I was pretty active. I critiqued it's inability to be agile and twitchy.. I called it lazy and wobbly (because it was!). Now it is a car that I feel is 100% spot on simulation of the car! It turns in immediately. It is wicked agile and wicked fast. It's exactly what I had always hoped it would be!

I've kind of avoided these cars since release as I was never quite happy with them. One of the issues was the lack of turn-in while the weight shifted forward, like under a bit of breaking. Well that problem is completely fixed now and feels wonderfully natural (an area where other sims go way over board.. particularly iRacing seems to suffer from the "shift the weight forward just a tiny bit while turning -> spin" problem). Throwing the weight around with the BMW 1M is a lot of fun and if you do it just right you'll end up with better laptimes.

The street cars of Project CARS was always been the weakest link in my opinion. Well those days are over! Project CARS just rocketed itself to the absolute top of the heap in this category as well! Now I can't wait to get more street cars into the game!

Well done. Bloody well done!!!
    Last edited by bmanic; 30-07-2015 at 12:32.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Looking forward to this being implemented on the consoles in 3.0!
    Adam - Project CARS2 WMD Member

PS4 Pro/PSVR/T150/WheelStandPro V2
    Samsung 49" 7000 Series or Sony 43" 8300 Series 4k TVs
    Denon AVR-X2200 and Monitor Audio/Elac 5.1.2 or Headphones
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Boskapongen, Fanapryde, Mbondracing

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
    I don't usually create these kinds of threads but now I feel like it is warranted.

Doug, I do not know what you did to the street car tires or when they were improved but they are RIDICULOUSLY GOOD now!

In one single patch you've basically remedied absolutely every single point of critique I had with the various street cars in the physics part of the WMD forum. I mean.. take the Caterham R500 where I was pretty active. I critiqued it's inability to be agile and twitchy.. I called it lazy and wobbly (because it was!). Now it is a car that I feel is 100% spot on simulation of the car! It turns in immediately. It is wicked agile and wicked fast. It's exactly what I had always hoped it would be!

I've kind of avoided these cars since release as I was never quite happy with them. One of the issues was the lack of turn-in while the weight shifted forward, like under a bit of breaking. Well that problem is completely fixed now and feels wonderfully natural (an area where other sims go way over board.. particularly iRacing seems to suffer from the "shift the weight forward just a tiny bit while turning -> spin" problem). Throwing the weight around with the BMW 1M is a lot of fun and if you do it just right you'll end up with better laptimes.

The street cars of Project CARS was always been the weakest link in my opinion. Well those days are over! Project CARS just rocketed itself to the absolute top of the heap in this category as well! Now I can't wait to get more street cars into the game!

Well done. Bloody well done!!!
    Couldn't agree more, made a very similar post a few days ago. They've gone from undriveable, in any me as ningful way with pretty graphics to real fun in one hit.

Can't quite believe a new tyre has avhieved that, actually made me reconsider my nirmal real life tyres i nees to get this week, any chance you can get michelin to knock some up for me Doug?
    MSI X99 Gaming 7, 16GB Hyper-X XMP Predator EVGA SC ACX 2 980Ti 1252/1446 boost ram 7776Ghz 64deg max, I7 5820K running at 4.6Ghz 60deg max, Corsair RM850, Thrustmaster T500RS and F1/T28 leather rim, Windows 8.1, Rift dk2, gt omega rs6 pro, 1080p triples bezel corrected to 6080*1080, Game settings at max except in-game AA, Nvidia inspector/maxwell AA on/transparency on/32*CSAA/8*SGSS/FXAA on, sim vibe chassis/4*Reckhorn 200s 200 watt Onkyo Amp.
    The following user likes this Post: amazed

Superkart Pilot
    After all criticism about street cars having sloppy/soapy handling weren't without a reason, yet many users tried to find any justification possible for this feeling trying to prove that it's not a physics issue.
    The following user likes this Post: TrevorAustin

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by unknwn View Post
    After all criticism about street cars having sloppy/soapy handling weren't without a reason, yet many users tried to find any justification possible for this feeling trying to prove that it's not a physics issue.
    Can't disagree with that can't count the number of times i was told the R8 was supposed to handle like an overpowered range rover on soft setting air suspension
    MSI X99 Gaming 7, 16GB Hyper-X XMP Predator EVGA SC ACX 2 980Ti 1252/1446 boost ram 7776Ghz 64deg max, I7 5820K running at 4.6Ghz 60deg max, Corsair RM850, Thrustmaster T500RS and F1/T28 leather rim, Windows 8.1, Rift dk2, gt omega rs6 pro, 1080p triples bezel corrected to 6080*1080, Game settings at max except in-game AA, Nvidia inspector/maxwell AA on/transparency on/32*CSAA/8*SGSS/FXAA on, sim vibe chassis/4*Reckhorn 200s 200 watt Onkyo Amp.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by unknwn View Post
    There's also been a pretty large bunch of us pretty critical about the street tires over at the WMD forums over the past 2 years. I remember starting the "moose test" thread there trying to point out how flawed the transient grip was.. that is, the tires just didn't grip fast enough to feel natural so that you could quickly avoid obstacles. Now they do! The Caterham R500 thread is another classic where several of us pointed to multiple youtube videos of crazy handling Caterhams on tight slalom courses and stunt driving.. this was not possible until now! Now we finally have some truly exceptional tires for the street cars!

Mind you, this is exactly how "group think" works. Just look at any forums.. join the Assetto Corsa forums and see how many there think AC has the supreme godlike physics. Then take an ordinary street car for a drive and rapidly down shift a few times while driving less than 60 km/h. Yeah.. "realism".

Then go join iRacing and take some of their cars for a spin.. literally.

I'm quite confident in my feeling that Project CARS now not just has the best GT series and open wheel physics (though I still think the Formula A tires are utterly weird and not at all convincing) but now also has the best street car physics of any simulator to date. The only competing sim that I have not yet played enough (just the demo) is rFactor 2 so that one may still have an edge over pCars but nothing else does in my opinion.
    Last edited by bmanic; 31-07-2015 at 00:28.
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Car Physics and AI
    You wouldn't believe how small the change was, really. . It was something i'd moved towards before release (if you remember), but was afraid of going to far and having to reinvent things so close to release. Anyways, again, it shows the power of the seta model and how closely linked everything is in the carcass design. Just reitterating, though - No change to the grips was done to achieve this.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug914 View Post
    You wouldn't believe how small the change was, really. . It was something i'd moved towards before release (if you remember), but was afraid of going to far and having to revent things so close to release. Anyways, again, it shows the power of the seta model and how closely linked everything is in the carcass design. Just reitterating, though - No change to the grips was done to achieve this.
    Are you able to explain the change and what it has done, or too closely tied to the tyre model? and compare ti a real life scenario? The change is truly phenomenal

I remember a critical point where trying to fix straight stability, the tyres become too forgiving because the grip curve lost most of its peak and the car become boring and impossible to spin

The change was the tack lateral flexibility, wasn't it?
    Youtube channel - Vimeo channel

Intel i5-3350P - 8 Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - nVidia 970 - Logitech Driving Force GT - SHH Shifter

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug914 View Post
    You wouldn't believe how small the change was, really. . It was something i'd moved towards before release (if you remember), but was afraid of going to far and having to reinvent things so close to release. Anyways, again, it shows the power of the seta model and how closely linked everything is in the carcass design. Just reitterating, though - No change to the grips was done to achieve this.
    Actually, I can very well imagine how small tweaks were responsible. Remember how some of us complained that a car was almost undrivable and made no sense, even though Casey or you had tweaked only a single parameter of the wheel and the tweaks was exceptionally tiny! Remember those days?

So yeah, I can very well believe that the tweak was small. With complex physical models this is always the case. I've played around with physical instrument models and amplifier models and they can easily "explode" even with the tiniest changes.. as the change cascades through the system.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Doug914, ermo