Thread: Ovals Are Just Left Turns

Ovals Are Just Left Turns

For those of us who don't know any better, there is a great piece in the current issue of Road & Track, September. See Sam Smith's column at page 30, "Wall Drug; a First Time at Indy, Cars in Your Lap."

Same article, different title, @ http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...ogy-wall-drug/ - "Standing Next to a 230 MPH IndyCar Will Change Your Notion of Speed."

Smith can write and that single page at least made me a lot more curious about oval racing.
    i5-4670K; GTX 660, 2GB; 8GB 1866MHz; 512GB SSD, 128GB SSD, 1TB HDD; 650W PSU; 24" display; Win7 64-bit; Carbide 200R case.

Platform
    XBOX1
    I used to think ovals were boring until I started trying them in a few racing simulators (Papyrus had a few great games with ovals).

The biggest challenge is the open wheel racers. There is no "rubbing" or bumping in open wheel racing. If you come within two feet of another car at speed you're risking near instant catastrophe. The concentration is gripping. Blowing one turn means ruining your entire next lap. There is no simply flooring it to catch up. If you exit a turn 10mph slower than you should you're going to pay for that mistake for the next 3 turns.

It can be a soul-destroying experience to have to endure the next lap knowing you've just wasted another 2-3 miles of speed potential. The fastest drivers know that balancing momentum, minimum scrubbing of speed and your line are keys to consistency lap after lap.

Add traffic and tire wear and fuel consumption and it becomes a delicate balance of physics against fear.

Platform
    XBOX1
    well you don't wanna bump and rub a lot at the bigger ovals in a stock cars because aero is really important at 1.5 mile tracks or bigger.

Platform
    PC
    I think we're gonna need a montage

MB Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 // CPU Intel i9 9900K // RAM Corsair Vengeance RGP Pro 32GB DDR4 @3200MHz // GPU Gigabyte nVidia 1080 Ti // M.2 NVME SSD Samsung 960 EVO 2TB // SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x62 280mm AIO // Case Fractal Design Define R6 Type C // Display ASUS PG34Q 34" 3440x1400 100Hz G-SYNC LCD // Speakers Logitech Z5500-D 5.1ch // OS Windows 10 Pro x64// Build Default Parameters

VR Oculus Rift CV1 // Wheel Fanatec CSR Elite // Pedals Fanatec Clubsport // Shifter Thrustmaster TH8RS with InterfaceOne wheel adapter // Head Tracking TrackIR v4 // Audio Transducer ButtKicker Gamer v2.0 // Seat PlaySeat Executive
    The following user likes this Post: Azure Flare

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzza5 View Post
    I think we're gonna need a montage
    "Even Rocky had a montage....."

Wheel: Thrustmaster T300RS with Ferrari F1 Rim
    Pedals: G27 Seat: Playseat Revolution GT PSN: chig88
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Azure Flare, Ryno917