Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rift, Vive headsets

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Rift, Vive headsets

I see some development work is being done with Pcars & the RIFT headset. I didn't want to clutter up the development threads hence the new topic.

I'm wondering what the experience is like for those that have used them? is it more immersive than triple monitors?

I have 3 x 19 inch monitors which is pretty good but I wonder if getting one of these would be a big step forward, it would certainly save some valuable space in my man cave

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARNAGEist View Post
    I see some development work is being done with Pcars & the RIFT headset. I didn't want to clutter up the development threads hence the new topic.

I'm wondering what the experience is like for those that have used them? is it more immersive than triple monitors?

I have 3 x 19 inch monitors which is pretty good but I wonder if getting one of these would be a big step forward, it would certainly save some valuable space in my man cave
    I personaly think its the only way to play the game. It is so much more imersive than tripple screen setup.
    However the game has been getting worse with each update in terms of smooth gameplay and you need a prity good rig to even attempt to use the rift.
    I would definatly wait for the consumer version of the rift to come out if you havent already got a rift, by which time the game should fully support the rift.
    You can find more info on other rift users experiance with PCars here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...K2-Setup-Guide
    i5 6600K clocked to 4.5Ghz, Asus Z170-E motherboard with on-board 128GB SSD.
    1TB Western Digital HDD, 16GB DDR4 HyperX RAM, GTX 1070 Founders Edition.
    T500 RS with Ferrari F1 Wheel addon and TH8 RS shifter,Oculus Rift CV1

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I play normally on triple screen which was a big step up from single screen, I got a DK2 last week and I haven't been back to triples since! The only thing I will say is that you need a very fast PC, I'm using an AMD FX-8350 and GTX970; I'm having to run at pretty much minimal settings and max 8-10 other cars to avoid frame rate drops, and some tracks like Azure have a terrible frame rate all the time. Weather changes also cause a drop in frame rate but it seems to go back to normal after the weather has changed, i.e dry to wet stutters a bit but frame rate picks up again once rain is steady. I can race with a larger field of cars, it's laggy for the first few corners then stabilises once the field spreads out a little.

The racing experience does make up somewhat for the imperfections, the close racing is extremely immersive, jostling for position is great fun looking all around you. Open seaters are fantastic fun, watching the inside wheel ride the curbs and it really helps with braking as you spot the inside front start to under rotate, you actually start to focus on these little details and it adds a whole new level of realism.

Down side, I'm much slower, hopefully with practice speed will come but you can get lost in the experience a little and miss apex's and braking points.

I'd highly recommend trying it out if you have a fast enough PC and the spare cash, other games are great too such as Assetto Corsa and if you like Rally Games Dirt Rally is fantastic on the DK2.

Platform
    PC
    Completely different experience for me and after several months I am MUCH faster in VR and can now barely complete a lap on a single screen without sliding off and still a second or two slower on triples.

It is very CPU intensive at the moment, way more than it should be. But I think that is a Rift problem. I also think we need timewarp added to make the experience much better where things become marginal.
    MSI X99 Gaming 7, 16GB Hyper-X XMP Predator EVGA SC ACX 2 980Ti 1252/1446 boost ram 7776Ghz 64deg max, I7 5820K running at 4.6Ghz 60deg max, Corsair RM850, Thrustmaster T500RS and F1/T28 leather rim, Windows 8.1, Rift dk2, gt omega rs6 pro, 1080p triples bezel corrected to 6080*1080, Game settings at max except in-game AA, Nvidia inspector/maxwell AA on/transparency on/32*CSAA/8*SGSS/FXAA on, sim vibe chassis/4*Reckhorn 200s 200 watt Onkyo Amp.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks All I'll keep an eye on them over the coming months

I have a I7 4770K & an R9 280x both with slight overclocks so I hope that will be enough

Superkart Pilot Kunal_Racedriver's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Since the topic has been raised, may I ask what experienced rift users think of i7 2600k with a gtx 980 ti for consumer version specs of Oculus rift. I am desperately holding my GPU upgrade but not sure if gtx 980ti will hold its ground at quality settings for CV1. As Nvidia Pascal will not be available readily by the end of next year, 980 ti is supposed to remain the best card for 2016. If I go for it, there will be no upgrade for next 3 years. Youtube videos show people using DK2 even on gtx 970.
    So, gtx 970 now and use it to handle racing on low settings till pascal is released OR Gtx 980i now as it will handle the Rift at acceptable quality? I am confused
    | CPU: i7 2600K @3.8GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070 | MB: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | PSU: GX750W | OS: Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 | Display: 3 X Benq Gw2760Hs| Wheel: Logitech G27

Platform
    PC
    Cpu withthe current runtimes probably won't be enough. Im cpu limited at present with a 4.6 5820. I've managed to get max settings with at most 15 cars with hardly any judder but gpu never goes above 75%.

Really hoping for some improvement from the next rift runtime, imminent, and pcars tinewarp inclusion.
    MSI X99 Gaming 7, 16GB Hyper-X XMP Predator EVGA SC ACX 2 980Ti 1252/1446 boost ram 7776Ghz 64deg max, I7 5820K running at 4.6Ghz 60deg max, Corsair RM850, Thrustmaster T500RS and F1/T28 leather rim, Windows 8.1, Rift dk2, gt omega rs6 pro, 1080p triples bezel corrected to 6080*1080, Game settings at max except in-game AA, Nvidia inspector/maxwell AA on/transparency on/32*CSAA/8*SGSS/FXAA on, sim vibe chassis/4*Reckhorn 200s 200 watt Onkyo Amp.

WMD Member
    I ran Pcars, AC, and iRacing on my system using a GTX 670 and also a GTX 780. All titles were playable with those cards but, with lower settings and AI numbers. Extended mode offered some performance advantages but, it's early days for the new Direct Mode and improvements should come in time. Oculus recommends the GTX 970 or better but, a system that can handle triples pretty well may work okay. We just don't know how much optimization and efficiency can be found yet through the new SDK from Oculus, video drivers and game optimizations.

I agree with the general sentiment that VR will be the way to play Racing Sims soon. I much prefer VR racing over a single monitor even with the current VR limitations; I haven't used triples. The immersion is far greater and there is no reason one can't be as fast - if not faster - in VR. I find it easier to judge distance - especially in traffic, and hitting apexes becomes easier too IMO. The biggest drawback for me is that it's harder to go back to racing on monitors once your used to VR (not that I can't, I just don't want to). I frequently switch back and forth because some of the titles I like to play don't yet support VR; it's totally possible to be reasonably good in both viewing options.
    MSi Z270 Pro Mobo . CPU Intel i7 7700k . RAM 32GB . OS Windows 10 . GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti SC . Audio Creative ZX . Klipsch 4.1 Speakers / Sennheiser Headphones . Controller SimX AccuForce Pro / OSW Small Mige (SimuCube 10k) / HE-Pro Pedals / Fanatec CSS-SQ Shifter / Fanatec Hand-brake . Displays BenQ GW2760s (triples) / Oculus Rift Cv1 . Chassis Custom 80/20 frame . SimVibe / iNuke NU3000DSP amp / BK-LFE (Extensions Mode) / iNuke NU1000 / ADX Bass-Shakers X2 (Chassis Mode)

Superkart Pilot Kunal_Racedriver's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    I have few questions I keep asking myself Rift users, please share your experience.

1. Biggest flaw on racing on a flat screen has been the lack of presence. Most of the tracks have quite a change in elevation. Lets take an example of popular Rouge in Spa. When exploring on google earth, I can imagine of what it would feel like going over that uphill in real life. Somehow that feeling is dull in games. Does viewing through rift makes you feel these elevation changes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eau_Rouge.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	216104

2. Sensation of speed comes when we relate slow/static things(like road texture and side elements) zooming past us. Playing Sim on low FOV takes this feeling even further away. I have been unsuccessful so far to make any person excited about speed when I demo them sim racing. All of them tell me they don't feel the speed and 100 kph feels static as compared to real life. Triple screens are better but still needs convincing at times. How dangerous is speed felt through Vr ?

3. There is no doubt that sitting and staring on a flat screen for a prolonged time takes its toll on eyes and needs a balance. I did a 25 lap race and was tired, uneasy and stiff in neck after that. If there is no latency issue, how bad (healthvise) and tiring is VR when compared to Flat screens?

4. I tried VR cardboard. There was a demo of Laguna Seca. I was not at all impressed. Other than ability to turn my head, it felt no more exciting than what on flat screen. I hope it is just for proof of concept and Rift is nothing like that.

5. I know this is asked again and again, But still ...do DK2 user feel that gtx 980ti bought now will not be a waste to handle CV Rift with acceptable quality or do they prefer to wait for pascal?

I don't read much about VR issues and technical problems. So some of these might feel noobish I too hope this will be the way of playing Sim Racing and gets its filter in Multiplayer
    Last edited by Kunal_Racedriver; 25-08-2015 at 16:51.
    | CPU: i7 2600K @3.8GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070 | MB: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | PSU: GX750W | OS: Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 | Display: 3 X Benq Gw2760Hs| Wheel: Logitech G27

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I can have an idea of what it would feel like walking that uphill in real life
    It's quite a climb, TV does not do it justice, I still see R18's & Porsche 919's in my sleep going through there from the WEC race in May