Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rift, Vive headsets

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhitrac View Post
    Here's a question for RIFT/VR users... How do you get around going for the physical buttons and switches as once you have the headset on, you're effectively 'blind' to the outside world.

Particularly for those with additional 'button boxes', sim pits. This gets more complicated when you move to flight sims!
    With just a wheel it's not a big deal at all.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunal_Racedriver View Post

2. Sensation of speed comes when we relate slow/static things(like road texture and side elements) zooming past us. Playing Sim on low FOV takes this feeling even further away. I have been unsuccessful so far to make any person excited about speed when I demo them sim racing. All of them tell me they don't feel the speed and 100 kph feels static as compared to real life. Triple screens are better but still needs convincing at times. [B]How dangerous is speed felt through Vr ?...
    Quote Originally Posted by cluck View Post
    2. Believe it or not, you never actually feel like you're going that fast on a real race track. 100kph? That's quite pedestrian on a racetrack, except for hairpins, even in a mildly tuned roadcar. I've done over 140mph down the old back straight at Snetterton in my old Nissan 200 and, well, it was quite boring to be honest . As for the Rift, it feels realistic to me, based on my own track time...
    Hope that helps .
    Thanks, that is interesting, because 50km/h certainly does not feel like 50 in a city. And I have been more overwhelmed (even if only for a couple of laps) by the speed in a new 2D-F1 game after long time of not racing, then driving formula A in the rift now. Well, I have to try those point to point tracks, it seems.

Still though, it's just great, engaging and impressive either way! I can't imagine how this must be while experiencing true presence.
    Last edited by Monsthor; 31-08-2015 at 16:26.
    CPU: Core i7 4770K @4.4G | MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 | RAM: 32GB | GPU: Asus - GTX 970 | OS: Win 7 x64 | MEM: Samsung Evo 840 - 512GB | Screen: DK2 | Wheel: G27

@Kunal_Racedriver : I was rifting pCars for the past year since dk2 release using 2x970 SLi and it was utterly brilliant, like others here I could never go back to the Triples for racing sims let alone a single screen. Once you are used to VR it is just incredible, I am still gobsmacked at times. I just swapped my two 970's for a 980Ti and it is killer imho, the Giga G1 version overclocks huge and is a beast. Somebody said they noticed little going from 780 to 980 on Dirt Rally, well I can tell you that from 970 that was a huge leap for me and I have it running a dream now. ETS2 and Assetto also run beautifully but I have stuck to Oculus Runtime 6.01

pCars is another story and I won't bore you with my utter disappointment at it's current state. I have shelved it until the 'promised' patch fixes ever arrive, which I have begun to seriously doubt. But meanwhile Assetto & dRally are both fantastic. Drove Lake Louise beta 2.4 yesterday and was amazed at how brilliant that is in VR. Things will get much better all around come cv1 so if you can wait then wait. I also play EliteD but haven't flown for awhile.

FWIW my opinion re the graphics card is hang on to your 970 now and get a 980Ti when you buy an Oculus Rift ~ dont get a Vive as it will not be as good, just my considered opine but I know I am right ! Whatever, but having enjoyed sli 970's I would also say do not get an extra 970 but rather sell the one you own for the 980Ti at the right time because they may also come down a little in cost (mind you the 970's have held their exact price point here in Oz for last 12 mths and even went up for awhile). Oh and the i7-2600k still holds its own - mine has been running at 4.7ghz since Feb 2011 and never missed a beat - the gap to the newer processors in practical use of sim racers is not a large as some people will have you think. My upgrade to a 6 core Haswell will be next year when cv1 launches. All of these VR shennanigans should look a lot less fuzzy over the next 3 to 6 months
    Last edited by Ramjet; 31-08-2015 at 11:47.
    i7 6700K@4.6Ghz | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | 16GB Corsair DDR4 3000 | GB 1080 G1 Gaming | Creative X-Fi | Win10 Pro | Samsung 960 EVO 250 SSD | GTUltimate2 Cockpit | AccuForce Pro + CSS SQ + CSP V3 | NL Motion V3 | Bkg2 + SimVibe | Philips BDM4065 40inch 4K Monitor | Sony 65inch ZD9 | Oculus Rift CV1 | Zalman Mid-Tower |SeaSonic 850w Silver80 | Turbo-Charged Beagle Foxy Mutt
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Kunal_Racedriver, RaceNut, TrevorAustin

Superkart Pilot Kunal_Racedriver's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for sharing Ramjet. I was about to buy extra monitors but not now. Will be saving that for Oculus Rift.
    I am still running on an outdated 560ti, not a 970. So if two 970s are not better than 980ti, then I guess there is no point in buying 3.5 gb 970 early on for Oculus. If my work is hindered and I have cash to spend, I might upgrade to 980ti as I don't think pascal will be available anywhere near the consumer VR.
    | CPU: i7 2600K @3.8GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070 | MB: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | PSU: GX750W | OS: Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 | Display: 3 X Benq Gw2760Hs| Wheel: Logitech G27

Yeah sorry misunderstood, ok I went from sli 560's to 780ti to sli 970's all within a year ! grafixcard fever Look, I could have kept sli 970's happily, for many other games you will get marginally higher frames than the 980ti, but the kicker for me was that Oculus direct mode doesn't work in Sli. Of course win10 + Runtime 0.7 + Gameworks VR-SLi will change that - but for now, and arguably always, a single gpu solution is generally your best option.

Once all this VR caper really kicks off and becomes mainstream, you will see gpu prices head south, most certainly when Pascall launches. But meanwhile you can always speculate about that better gpu "on the horizon". I can assure you that if you jump from the 560ti to the 980ti you WILL see an amazing leap in speed etc.

Oh and for the love of all things octane... overclock the buggery out of that feckin' 2600 man !!! ~ that mobo is just made for it
    i7 6700K@4.6Ghz | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | 16GB Corsair DDR4 3000 | GB 1080 G1 Gaming | Creative X-Fi | Win10 Pro | Samsung 960 EVO 250 SSD | GTUltimate2 Cockpit | AccuForce Pro + CSS SQ + CSP V3 | NL Motion V3 | Bkg2 + SimVibe | Philips BDM4065 40inch 4K Monitor | Sony 65inch ZD9 | Oculus Rift CV1 | Zalman Mid-Tower |SeaSonic 850w Silver80 | Turbo-Charged Beagle Foxy Mutt
    The following user likes this Post: TrevorAustin

Superkart Pilot Kunal_Racedriver's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Oh and for the love of all things octane... overclock the buggery out of that feckin' 2600 man !!! ~ that mobo is just made for it
    Any tips or links for dummies I saw there is a simple multiplier in Bios and TouchBios app to overclock, but I am not aware of mem and other voltage related issues
    Last edited by Kunal_Racedriver; 01-09-2015 at 06:16.
    | CPU: i7 2600K @3.8GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX1070 | MB: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3R-B3 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance | PSU: GX750W | OS: Win 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 | Display: 3 X Benq Gw2760Hs| Wheel: Logitech G27

There's heaps of oc guides around & I took a quick look at this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1184756/i...h-b3-overclock and it is full of really good info/advice, I would go for 4.4 or 4.5ghz as a safe & easy overclock.

Do go read a few guides for some background on how & why it works and then take a look at this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSDtMzf_EaE - he does waffle a bit & I would not advise going to 5.0ghz but it will give you some idea. Basically the i7-2600k was notorious for how good an overclocker it is, not all will run as stable as mine at 4.7ghz - I had mine running fine at 4.8 but the diff was barely noticeable. Anyway 4.5 is easily doable/stable and you have a very good mobo so it is pretty much bullet-proof (famous last words!)
    Last edited by Ramjet; 01-09-2015 at 08:52.
    The following user likes this Post: Kunal_Racedriver

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    I was at the WEC 6 hours of Nürburgring this past weekend and, whilst there, treated my host (and 2 more passengers) to 2 laps of the mighty Nordschleife. Before you stop reading, there is a point to this post . The previous evening, we had stood at Brünnchen, to watch some cars go past, and couldn't believe how steep it was, looking back up towards Eschbach (it really is incredibly - almost terrifyingly - steep to look at from that position ). However, once in car, it appeared nothing like as steep and was, put simply, far more like it appears in the Rift. I can't say that the Rift provides a 100% accurate view, but it's really not far off at all and, as I previously mentioned, it's the closest I've experienced to the real thing.
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // Acer Predator X34P 34" IPS 3440x1440 100Hz //
    The following 4 users likes this Post: blackduckrun, Kunal_Racedriver, RaceNut, Ramjet