Thread: Lotus 49 very strange (tire 1967 issue?)

Platform
    PC

Lotus 49 very strange (tire 1967 issue?)

Am I the only one that finds the Lotus 49 and it's 1967 tire extremely weird? I mean, it is odd how little bite it has even when the weight is shifted forward by either releasing the throttle (and I've turned engine to full breaking!) or applying just a tiny bit of breaking pressure. In fact, it seems to be turning WORSE when it gets a tiny bit loaded.

It is a very strange and unintuitive car. I did drive it back in early 2014 and thought it was pretty good but as it is now, with the default tire and setup, it's just extremely strange. The oddities do not end with the tire either.. the FFB is all messed up and is a lot higher on default than any other car. Also, having Fx set to 50% damping shows that there is indeed something very weird going on with the tire.

I really hope Doug has a chance to take a look at it.. it just isn't fun at all to drive. Just a tiny bit more "bite" to the tire under loading would help it tremendously. I'm NOT expecting it to drive like a slick or modern tire but the way it drives now doesn't correlate at all with various videos of how the car is supposed to drive. It's a shame as I remember the car being exceptionally fun.

Will now go test the other tires.. but at least the 1967 Hard compound tire is very odd.
    The following 7 users likes this Post: Axel Dietzel, Gordon, MrTulip, Paulpg87, Silraed, slr5000912, yusupov

Platform
    PC
    I found the same thing with the tyre seeming to behave even worse when slightly loaded from lifting off/braking the other day, completely unintuitive. I had an awful couple laps around Brands Hatch short trying to get my head around it before I went back to my ever trusty Lotus 72D.
    r5 2600X | Asus RX Vega 56 Strix | 16GB RAM | Fanatec CSL Elite + CSP V3 + TH8A shifter | Next Level Racing Wheel Stand

Car Physics and AI
    I'm hesitant to touch it, but i will say i agree. Its not what i would expect from the car on the tires it was supposed to run on in 1967 either. I've got bigger fish to fry right now, but i might have a look at it when things calm down.
    The following 11 users likes this Post: a3broek, Axel Dietzel, bmanic, DrKabel, Gordon, lancashirelad, MrTulip, rocho, Silraed, slr5000912, yusupov

Platform
    PC
    It's just that the weird way you actually lose grip when moving weight on the wheels seems more like a bug than an intended feature. Well, if you have a chance to take a look at it some time it would be great. It's such a great iconic car.
    The following user likes this Post: yusupov

Platform
    PC
    I've now driven the 1968 Medium tire and while it is indeed a lot better around the track (as expected) it still has the lack of weight transfer / weight load issue. You get basically zero benefit during turning by shifting the weight forward. It just is very subtle (at least it is there, unlike the 1967 tire that actually turns worse the more load you get on it).
    The following user likes this Post: Doug914

Platform
    PC
    There's something really odd with AJ's tires. Is there a FFB output multiplier per tire type?? I always thought that the more grip you have, the harder the FFB will be.. on a per car basis (as I know there is a multiplier for each car). However, when running the 1972 slick on the Lotus 49 my FFB becomes a whole lot weaker. Significantly weaker in fact.. backed up by the FFB telemetry. Yet I do have quite a bit of grip available through the corners. Compared to the 1970 tire the FFB is very weak.

What is going on here? FFB multiplier per tire? The 1972 tire seems also to be the only one of the vintage series tires for the lotus 49 that actually has proper grip increase during weight loading of the tire. Overall the experience of driving on these various tires isn't all that great.. it's overshadowed by constant "wtf is going here?" moments.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Doug914, Gordon

I mentioned all this months ago in relation to whacky tires and vast differences in ffb between each of the tires (possibly on other forum), so no, you're not the only one, but at least you got a response. My comments just went through to the keeper as usual.
    Last edited by BazzaLB; 26-08-2015 at 07:06.
    CPU>i7 7700K@4.8 water cooled. O/S>Win10 64bit 8gb. GPU>Aorus GTX 1080ti Xtreme. Display>VR HTC Vive. Wheel>Fanatec CSW F1 Rim, CSP v2 Pedals. Chassis>HumanRacing GT Chassis.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    i can say i'm not able to drive it ehehe. I tried it in the community event, i was able to put something like 2 valid laps out of 10. I recorded a super slow 1.12 with ABS on. For my low-end capabilities it feels undriveable.

WMD Member Jussi Viljami Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    I've gotten it to where I'm pretty comfortable in it and can have a lot of fun with it with those tyres, but they're not as nice as some of the tyres we had in development IMO, sort of feeling off in many situations.
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

Suspension Calculator now available on the P.CARS Setups Database website!

Next Gen = More Biscuit!