Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your Tips/Tricks for Going Fast!

Platform
    PS4

Post your Tips/Tricks for Going Fast!

Hi All,

I consider myself a fine racer offline, but online I struggle to maintain a Top 3 pace due to shortcomings in my driving. Since we all have our special tactics which help us exceed in select areas, but lose ground in others, Id like start a thread where we can post our Go-Fast Tips & Tricks.

An example: Set your brake bias to 48 Front / 52 Rear, as it helps you trail-brake into a corner and align your car for a faster drive out.

Please contribute your tactics!

All the best,
    -HeyIHaveProjectCars
    The following user likes this Post: sailordude9980

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Brake Duct is one of the first things I modify. On my LMP setups they are normally around 25-45%.

Also fuel level. Per the tip included in the game "try and plan your race and pit strat to have you end race with 0 fuel." The new patch does wonder to help the user do this.

WMD Member Jussi Viljami Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    For me? Don't always try to get the car to correspond to what you like to drive, also work on making your own driving style pliable enough to suit different cars/setups. I rarely spend too much time on a single car on a single track, and usually before diving in to the setup I try to figure out how to drive the usual setup as quickly as possible. Over the years this has lead to me being able to quickly jump into just about anything anywhere and drive quickly, even when hampered by wonky handling. Working on maximizing the performance of a car that doesn't drive like you'd wish can be time well spent, it can teach you a lot about driving overall, and some cars simply don't respond well to certain driving styles, no matter what you do with the setup.

Drift occasionally. Drifting can improve your car control on the limit a great deal, and it helps to make sliding not scary, giving you more confidence and consistency when pushing to the edge. Tyres always provide their maximum grip when you're sliding them a little bit, so to go as fast as possible you need to slide a little bit all the time. If you're not sliding at all, you're not going as fast as you could.

There are few things as important as braking as late as possible while still hitting your line, and getting on the throttle as soon as possible, even if that means riding a small slide out of corners. The more you have the throttle open on average across a lap, the better your chance of putting down as much power as possible. Of course this is easy to overdo as well, sliding all over the place and spinning the driven wheels. Slow in/fast out is only the starting point, the final goal is fast in/fast through/fast out. =)

Don't get too hung up on setups. Assuming your setup currently isn't horrible enough to keep you from using the car properly, there aren't that many tracks where the setup itself will make a difference of several seconds, and mostly that comes out on tracks where aero makes a huge difference. If you're 5 seconds behind the top, most of that is probably in the driving, not the setup. That said, a good setup can make it easier to stay at the edge, but that's not really saying that the previous setup is incapable of going that fast, just that it's easier to do with the other setup.

Really, really, REALLY fast laps are often done by way of hitting everything just about perfectly. You're braking into a corner, you think you'll go long, and you just barely manage to keep it on the line and enter the turn, sliding to the apex to plant the throttle fully and exiting in a small four wheel drift. 20 cm later in the braking and you would have missed it completely, losing half a second. Then doing that on every - single - corner. If you really want to hit the fastest the car can do, you can't leave any safety margin at all, and since this is a sim where you can essentially practice indefinitely, someone is bound to do it eventually. This has very little to do with actual racing.
    Last edited by Jussi Viljami Karjalainen; 25-08-2015 at 21:32.
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

Suspension Calculator now available on the P.CARS Setups Database website!

Next Gen = More Biscuit!
    The following 2 users likes this Post: mjemec11, MrLiister

MrFlibble81
    [QUOTE=Jussi Karjalainen;1097579]
    Drift occasionally. Drifting can improve your car control on the limit a great deal, and it helps to make sliding not scary, giving you more confidence and consistency when pushing to the edge. Tyres always provide their maximum grip when you're sliding them a little bit, so to go as fast as possible you need to slide a little bit all the time. If you're not sliding at all, you're not going as fast as you could.[QUOTE]

I have to politely disagree with this.

If you're tires are sliding then that would mean that they have exceeded their level of grip and any time you slide you're taking away forward momentum plus you're ruining your tires.

I will agree that sliding will make you less scared of it and you'll have a better idea of how the car behaves when it begins to slide and what you can get away with though.

But back to the OP's point. Fuel is the big one for me. You really need to plan your fuel strategy and just braking later, in a straight line and hitting your apexes, maybe being a little more aggressive and taking more kerb too but you need to be careful you don't take too much and spin your car around though!
    The following user likes this Post: Fight-Test

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFlibble81 View Post
    If your tires are sliding then that would mean that they have exceeded their level of grip and any time you slide you're taking away forward momentum plus you're ruining your tires.
    Jussi is correct. Maximum grip is when the tires are sliding a little bit.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: Jussi Viljami Karjalainen

MrFlibble81
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    Jussi is correct. Maximum grip is when the tires are sliding a little bit.
    Really?

Ok, I didn't realize that. I've always been under the impression that if the tires are sliding you've exceeded grip levels but I guess I'm wrong.

Learn something new everyday I suppose!

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Mash the go peddle hard

MrFlibble81
    ^sound advice right there.

Platform
    PC
    Can't argue with that!

MrFibble, here's a graph of slip angle vs. coefficient of friction. Note in the F1 example, maximum friction is around 9 of slip but you don't really start to lose traction until about 15.

97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Invincible

MrFlibble81
    Cool! Thanks for that. I genuinely didn't know that.