Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car setup explanation for dummies

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynomight Motorsports View Post
    Also, tuning is not always black n' white. What I mean by that is there are several ways to address the same issues through different adjustments. There are many different philosophies and theories, and the best thing is learn what each adjustment does, and experiment with small increments in tuning the car to fit YOUR driving style. What works for you at one track may not work for you at another. I learn something new every time I take the car out on the track.

I was struggling at Brands Hatch, sliding the front wheels with what I thought was a pretty competitive setup time wise. I thought I might just be over-driving the corners. But I wanted to make the car better. I tried tire pressures, springs, camber, caster.. What ended up working was just reducing the front sway bar, and the car picked up almost a whole second, compared to the other changes.
    This is very true. I've experienced this a few times where making a change to a setting doesn't seem to do much. Then you try something else which ostensibly makes the same change and it all just clicks into place.

For me, the most glaring example was the BMW M1 around Bathurst where it actually felt pretty good everywhere apart from if I clipped a curb in which case the front end would bounce all over the place. Eventually, I tried softening the front springs and correspondingly stiffening the front sway bar. Immediately it was obvious that I had the front springs too stiff in my original tune as it rode curbs so much better, yet had similar turn-in characteristics. With that relatively minor change, I knocked a second off my best time, but more important made a huge improvement in consistency.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynomight Motorsports View Post
    Just remember the most important adjustments are usually the Nut behind the wheel. You can tune on your car all you want, but if you aren't good at a track, not hitting your marks than you can find yourself very frustrated quickly. Once you start tuning its pretty awesome, and you'll understand some small adjustments to get you started at each track then go from there. But it takes a lot of time with some cars at some tracks. And sometimes its nice to try different setups that fit your driving style.
    Once you understand what adjustments do what.. try this: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/bycar
    Look once the car is setup I should never have to lift when entering a turn. The car should just hold its line right?

Seriously thanks for the guide and the help. I know just enough about tuning a car to hurt myself. I just made a copy of the guide you posted. I also forgot about this guide for Nascar 2003 seasons (http://www.racelinecentral.com/RacingSetupGuide.html. It has a good explanation of what the different settings do, it may have some use even if it was written for Oval. Towards the back it has handling issue and what to correct for those issues.
    PS4 (Spiff2pf), T300 servo base / XB1 (SpiffPF2), TX458 / Sony 55" 4K HDR LED / Next Level Racing Wheel stand / T3PA Pro Pedals (Ricmotech load cell) / 599xx EVO Rim / Rally Wheel Add-On Sparco R383 Mod

GT5 Pilot Dynomight Motorsports's Avatar
    Platform
    XBOX1
    That is a good one.. I started out on Ovals.. believe it or not. I'm a huge NASCAR fan, but I found Road Racing to be extremely satisfying, and a hell of a lot easier to set up a car for. Road Racing setups are for the most part symmetrical, where as oval setups very greatly asymmetrically.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    RACEDEPARTMENT.com
    Largest SIM Racing Community Online / Competitive & Clean Drivers / XBOX Leagues Now
    Xbox1 GT World Endurance Challenge<<---Link!!!
    GamerTag: MichaeI Watts

Banned
    Platform
    XBOX1

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by AdM1 View Post
    Already added the chart to the things that I copied. Thank god I am at work. Thanks
    PS4 (Spiff2pf), T300 servo base / XB1 (SpiffPF2), TX458 / Sony 55" 4K HDR LED / Next Level Racing Wheel stand / T3PA Pro Pedals (Ricmotech load cell) / 599xx EVO Rim / Rally Wheel Add-On Sparco R383 Mod