Page 1 of 251 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Crew Chief - an alternative race engineer for console & PC

Platform
    PC

Crew Chief - an alternative race engineer for console & PC

This is my little Crew Chief application, which works for PCars and RaceRoom.

A massive thankyou to the guys here who have provided some terrific bug reporting, suggestions, feedback, donations, and moral support. This is still a work-in-progress (it always will be) so will be continue to improve and mature - there might be bugs, but it should work.

Here's a grotty video of it in action on the PC. I make a few voice commands in this video, but because the crew chief voice is me, it makes it sound like crew chief is talking to himself

Here's one of the Android app

And another, with pit stuff and weather transitions

Here's a quick guide on how to get the app running. *This is for version 3. Version 4 works in a similar way but handles the downloading and installation of sound packs for you*:

This application runs in the background while you play Project Cars. It reads data from the Shared Memory block that PCars writes to, and it uses it to trigger audio messages. It's intended to replace the built in race engineer, providing a different (and hopefully better) take on the proceedings. To run this windows 7 and 8 / 8.1 users will need to install the .Net framework version 4.5. Then just install app and run it, and click the two 'download' buttons (for sounds and driver names). Once that's done, restart the app.

Enable 'shared memory' from the Project Cars visual settings options.

Download the installer for the app here:

http://crewchief.isnais.de/CrewChiefV4.msi

CrewChief version 4.

Changelog
    ---------
    Version 4.0.1.0: Initial (working...) release of Version 4. Lots of improvements and additions

Known Issues Which Aren't Fixable
    ---------------------------------

I recommend using UDP mode for the PC app ('pcars network data'). If this doesn't work well, the shared memory mode has a couple of limitations:

1: The shared memory data doesn't include opponent laptime data, so the app has to time their laps. In practice and qual sessions this is fairly reliable (because the app can use the time remaining in the session, sent by the game, for its 'clock' when timing). In race sessions with a fixed number of laps the app has nothing it can use as a clock to time the laps, so times them itself. This can lead to opponent lap / sector time inaccuracies if the player pauses the game (the app's clock is still running).

2: The shared memory data doesn't include opponent car class information, so the app will assume that every car in the race is the same class as the player's car. For multiclass races, all pace and other reports will be relative to the overall leader / fastest car.

The following issues apply to all versions of the app using shared memory or UDP data:

1: Joining a session part way through (practice or qualify session online) will result in the app having an incomplete set of data for opponent lap and sector times. In such cases the best opponent lap and sector data is inaccurate. The best-in-session opponent lap and sector times aren't in the data so the pace and sector delta reports may be inaccurate (they use the fastest lap completed while the app is running). As soon as an opponent sets a faster lap, the app will have up to date best lap data so the pace and sector reports will be accurate and complete.

2: Project Cars doesn't have a distinct pre-start procedure phase. I've added some more messages before the 'get ready' but there's a risk here that they might delay the 'get ready' message.

3: Detecting 'good' passes isn't really feasible. I've tried to limit the 'good pass' messages to overtakes that are reasonably 'secure', don't result in the other car slowing excessively, and don't involve the player going off-track. I can't, for example, tell the difference between a clean pass and a bump-and-run punt, so you might get congratulated for driving like a berk.

Quick start
    -----------
    Windows 7 and 8 / 8.1 users will need to install .net 4.5 to use the app. This is already part of windows 10. Download the installer, run it, start the app and download the sound packs from the app. Enable share memory or UDP in PCars (both work well). Select a game from the list at the top right. Click the "Start Application" button. Then fire up the game and be amazed at my poor voice acting.

Running with voice recognition
    ------------------------------
    If you want to use voice recognition, download the correct speech recognition installers for your system (speech_recognition_32bit.zip or speech_recognition_64bit.zip).

The 64 bit installers are here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4K...ew?usp=sharing

The 32 bit installers are here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4K...ew?usp=sharing

Alternatively, the Microsoft download links are, for the runtime installer (do this one first)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down....aspx?id=27225

For the language packs (use which ever en-XX best suits your location / accent)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=27224

Run SpeechPlatformRuntime.msi (this is the MS speech recognition engine), then run MSSpeech_SR_en-GB_TELE.msi or MSSpeech_SR_en-US_TELE.msi depending on your preferred accent (these are the 'cultural info' installers). If you want to use US speech recognition (MSSpeech_SR_en-US_TELE.msi) you must modify the "speech_recognition_location" property to "en-US". This can be done by modifying the property value in the application's Properties area. If you're happy with en-GB you don't need to do anything other than run the 2 speech recognition installers.

For speech recognition, you need a microphone configured as the default "Recording" device in Windows.

To get started, run the app and choose a "Voice recognition mode". There are 3 modes (the radio buttons at the bottom right). "Disabled" means that the app won't attempt any speech recognition. "Hold button" means you have to hold down a button while you speak, and release the button when you're finished. "Toggle button" means you press a button once to start the speech recognition, and the app will continue to listen and process your spoken requests until you press the button again to switch it off (while the app is listening you can make as many voice requests as you like, you don't need to toggle speech recognition off and back on again if you want to ask another question). "Always on" means the app is always listening for and processing speech commands. Selecting "Disabled" or "Always on" from this list makes the app ignore the button assigned to "Talk to crew chief".

If you want to use Hold button or Toggle button mode, select a controller device ("Available controllers" list, bottom left), choose "Talk to crew chief" in the "Available actions" list and click "Assign control". Then press the button you want to assign to your radio button.

You need to speak clearly and your mic needs to be properly set up - you might need to experiment with levels and gain (Microphone boost) in the Windows control panel. If he understood he'll respond - perhaps with helpful info, perhaps with "we don't have that data". If he doesn't quite understand he'll ask you to repeat yourself. If he can't even tell if you've said something he'll remain silent. There's some debug logging in the main window that might be useful.

Currently the app understands and responds to the following commands (updated 31/05/2016):

"how's my [fuel / tyre wear / body work / aero / engine / transmission / suspension / pace ]"
    "how are my [tyre temps / tyre temperatures / brakes / brake temps / brake temperatures / engine temps / engine temperatures]"
    "what's my [gap in front / gap ahead / gap behind / last lap / last lap time / lap time / position / fuel level / best lap / best lap time]"
    "what's the fastest lap" (reports the fastest lap in the session for the player's car class)
    "keep quiet / I know what I'm doing / leave me alone" (switches off messages)
    "keep me informed / keep me posted / keep me updated" (switches messages back on)
    "how long's left / how many laps are left / how many laps to go"
    "spot / don't spot" (switches the spotter on and off - note even in "leave me alone" mode the spotter still operates unless you explicitly switch it off)
    "do I still have a penalty / do I have a penalty / have I served my penalty"
    "where's P [opponent race position]"
    "what's [opponent race position]'s last lap" (for example, "what's p 4's best lap", "what's position 4's last lap", "what's the leader's last lap")
    "what's [opponent race position]'s best lap"
    "what's [the car in front / the guy in front / the car ahead / the guy ahead]'s last lap"
    "what's [the car in front / the guy in front / the car ahead / the guy ahead]'s best lap"
    "what's [the car behind / the guy behind]'s last lap"
    "what's [the car behind / the guy behind]'s best lap"
    "what's my gap to [opponent race position]" (time gap to opponent)
    "what are my sector times"
    "what's my last sector time"
    "who's leading"
    "who's [ahead / ahead in the race / in front / in front in the race / behind / behind in the race]" (gives the name of the car in front / behind in the race or on the timing sheet for qual / practice)
    "who's [ahead on track / in front on track / behind on track]" (gives the name of the car in front / behind in on track, regardless of his race / qual position)
    "tell me the gaps / give me the gaps / tell me the deltas / give me the deltas" (switch on 'deltas' mode where the time deltas in front and behind get read out on each lap. Note that these messages will play even if you have disabled messages)
    "don't tell me the gaps / don't tell me the deltas / no more gaps / no more deltas" (switch off deltas mode)
    "repeat last message / say again" (replays the last message)
    "What's the air temp / what's the air temperature / what's the track temp / what's the track temperature" (current air / track temps in Celsius)
    "What are my [brake / tyre] [temperatures / temps]"
    "What time is it / what's the time" (reports current real-world time)

PC app only:
    "where's [opponent driver last name]" (gives race position and gap to this driver)
    "what's [opponent driver last name]'s last lap"
    "what's [opponent driver last name]'s best lap"

Other button assignments
    ------------------------
    You can assign the 'toggle spotter on/off' and 'toggle race updates on/off' to separate buttons if you want to be able to toggle the spotter function and toggle the crew chief's updates on or off during the race. This doesn't require voice recognition to be installed - simply run the app, assign a button to one or both of these functions, and when in-race pressing that button will toggle the spotter or crew chief on and off.

Properties
    ----------
    The settings can be accessed by clicking the "Properties" button in the app. This displays a popup window where you can tweak stuff if you want to. This interface is a bit rubbish but should let you tweak settings if you want to, although the properties are all (currently) undocumented. If you do change something in this interface, the app needs to restart to pick up the change - the "Save and restart" button should do this.

Each property has a "reset to default" button, or if you get completely stuck you can close the app and delete the user configuration folder and it should reset everything.

Custom controllers
    ------------------
    This is untested. If your controller doesn't show up in the list of available controllers you can set the "custom_controller_guid" property to the GUID of your controller device. If this is a valid controller GUID the app will attempt to initialise it an add it to the list of available controllers.

Program start arguments
    -----------------------
    If you want to have the game pre-selected, start the app like this for PCars: [full path]\CrewChiefV4.exe PCARS_64BIT. Or use R3E or PCARS_32BIT.
    This can be used in conjunction with the launch_pcars / launch_raceroom / [game]_launch_exe / [game]_launch_params and run_immediately options to set crew chief up to start the game selected in the app launch argument, and start its own process.

If you want to run Crew Chief on your 4th CPU core only, and want have the application launch project cars (64bit) and start running immediately (i.e. just launch Crew Chief and everything else is done for you, no need to click anything else to start Crew Chief listening or launch PCars) you first need to make a couple of Properties changes. Go to the properties screen and set the "pcars64_launch_exe" property to c:/games/steam/steamapps/common/pCars/pCARS.exe (assuming steam is installed in c:/games), check the "launch_pcars" option, and check the "run_immediately" option. Then create a shortcut to CrewChiefV4.exe with the parameters cpu4 and PCARS_64BIT, so the "target" field in the short cut properties looks like this:

"C:\games\CrewChiefV4\CrewChiefV4.exe" cpu4 PCARS_64BIT

Running on a single CPU
    -----------------------
    You can set the processor affinity for Crew Chief in TaskManager, but this will have to be done each time you start the app. Alternatively, you can start the app with an addition argument "cpu1", "cpu2", ... "cpu8", like this:
    [full path]\CrewChiefV4.exe cpu4
    this will set the processor affinity to the 4th CPU in your system (usually referred to as CPU3 - they're zero-indexed).

Updating the app
    ----------------
    The app will tell you if there's a new version and will download and run the updater. If there's a sound pack update or a driver name update the 'download sound pack' and / or 'download driver names' buttons will be enabled.

Donations
    ---------
    I made this because I wanted to make it and I enjoy making stuff. Working with the various quirks, errors and omissions in the shared data which the games provide hasn't been much fun, but it's all part of the challenge. Having said that, there are many many hours of hard work invested in this.
    If you use it and like it and it becomes a regular and positive part of your sim racing, I'd be grateful if you would consider making a small donation. If only to stop my wife from complaining at me.

My paypal address is jim.britton@yahoo.co.uk

Or you can now use this handy donate button. Assuming it works...

Would be great to recoup some of the investment in making this, but the most important thing is that the app is used 'in anger' and enjoyed as part of the sim racing experience. To this end, I'm always on the lookout for bug reports and feature suggestions.

One final point. If the app says "Jim is faster than you", let him through
    Last edited by mr_belowski; 28-06-2016 at 12:40.
    The following 279 users likes this Post: -carbo-, 111222_1234, Adrien Lopes, AfterAll14, Aldo Zampatti, alegunner68, Algo, AndrexUK, Andy Rink, andycass, Animera, Arhok, armanluq, artao, As67, ashasha, Ashnoom, Bad_Dan, banquer, Barossa, Bavarian Turbo, Bealdor, beetes_juice, Benjamin Benichou, Bigger Than Dave, BioForce, Black TimeZzZ, Blackshell, bmanic, Boskapongen, bporion, BrandedMantis, BulletEyeDK, Bullett1, bullshooter, BullWinkle, Bursiferio, c172fccc, C19H28O2, Casimir Bonnet, Charger, chris99, cluck, comieodor, copes24, crowtrobot, CrustyA, Cuba, Dagless, Dalhil, Dam351, Dan77 DESTROYER, dantheo, DayGlow, dctoe, Decca, DeliriumTr, denis74, Diluvian, DinoM, Dio, Distortion, Djinn, DlxWrecker, Dmitry Afanasyev, dnl0319, dominiczeth, doubleace, Doug914, DrKabel, DrStrix, Drukhi, durino69, dustyjo, Dynomight Motorsports, El Nano, Elmo, EmilGlockner, Ernie, erw1n, Eugene Flerko, E_Luckow, F1_Racer68, Fabri91, Finnstar, FInroDz, fl0wf1r3, FLX81, FlyingKman, Freed Games, fresquito, Funkygib, GenBrien, Gethema, GForce, Giovtec, Gopher04, GPF1 Did, hagar147, Haiden, Hammerpgh, Hawke78, Henk de Jong, henki, Henrique Clausing, hotak, Ian Bell, Iceman07, IJerichoI, IJOJOI, Invincible, Ischemica, Jarateka, Jego, jerry555, JessicaWalter, jimmyb_84, Jochen Rindt, JohnSchoonsBeard, Jordan Hicks, jpmmuc, justdon, justonce68, Kawalsky, keppo, Kidney, kingsti, KkDrummer, KOW-alski, Kroegtijgertje, Lars Rosenquist, Lawndarts, LDFifi, lembi2001, Leynad, lmp4 24, logos, lokpes, M. -VIPER- Morgan, M4MKey, Machinist90, macto, Mad LL, madmax2069, madnesbrah, Mangoat, MariuszB35PL, Mark Bevan, Mascot, Max Kelly, McKiernan, MCW, meck2, MelBonkers, memoric77, Metal_Link, miagi, Michal Beran, MichelF, mignolo4, Mike Laskey, mikutzu, Morgan Henstridge, morpwr, Mr.60trim, MrLiister, MrTulip, mw98, Namron, Naz, Neil Bateman, NemethR, Nevil Wigbels, nhitrac, nhraracer, Nick Claydon, Nico Herrmann, notanuva, NutsMammoth, Nutzi, OBigO, OddTimer, Old Hippie, OpticalHercules, Pamellaaa, pargiNOS, Patrick Kulinski, Patrik Marek, Paulo Ribeiro, Pavletto, Pjull24, poirqc, PorscheFanatic7, ports, proterra1, Pugamall, Pyromaniak666, QuickCarlos, r3c14im3r, R74NN, Ralle, Ramjet, Raptylos, Raymond de Vries, Reiche, Remco Van Dijk, resmania, RetroNooB, Riccardo De Rosa, richardjackett, RimanDk, ripley, Rober, rocho, Roger Prynne, Ryzza5, Sampo, Sascha F., Schadows, Schumi-, SenorPez, Sessionerror, Sheldon, Shinzah, ShyPPr, Siberian Tiger, sic_kapkan, silicijevadolina, simpt5, sirsilver1968, Skylar_Schutz, SkyyJuice, SlowBloke, SoKreemy, SonOfMaw, Soulin85s, spacepadrille, spencerrg, STEELJOCKEY, Stevie_F, stinki110, Stones, Supersonique, t0daY, TassyDevil, Tastakrad, tennenbaum, TheDoctor46, TheDorStor, TheReaper GT, Thomas Sikora, thomasjohansen, Tiago Fortuna, TicusH, Timmynator, Tommi-TAG, TPH, transfix, trylls, tytanfyre, Udd-, Umer Ahmad, un4givn85, vahagn_hayk, VelvetTorpedo, vexa, virdog, Woffu, wolby2010, wolfsburg, XiondrapoS, XTRMNTR2K, xxTheGoDxx, Yorkie065, ZiggyUK, Zpectre87, [PSR]Painkiller, _MB_, _pak_

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The idea sounds cool for me being a primarily Ai racer.

I do have Ben enabled currently but the limited vocabulary / repetition is getting a bit much....

I guess ultimately it depends on the usefulness / content / frequency of advice given by the audio ?

EDIT 01 October 2015: W O W !!
    =====================
    Just tried it for a quick 10 lap race - you have really made a very impressive tool there.

The spotter alone is fantastic but the whole package just works and provides useful info during the race.

Its safe to say you more than exceeded my expectations here - thank you very much!!
    Last edited by SlowBloke; 02-10-2015 at 13:45. Reason: Wanted to provide positive feedback
    The following user likes this Post: Nico Herrmann

Platform
    PC
    The current RaceRoom implementation does have a bit more content that PCars one - more stuff about fuel & tyre use, mandatory pitstop stuff, a spotter ("hold your line... Clear" type stuff), and less of the "play a trick on him and slow down in the slow corner" type stuff. My app also has voice recognition (you can ask about tyre wear, race position, fuel usage, etc etc).

Obviously such an app would sink or swim depending on the quality / relevance / variety / quantity of messages. My existing implementation does a decent job with a limited data set, but the PCars data set is much richer and offers huge potential to add cool stuff. But I wonder if anyone would be keen on abandoning Ben's pearls of wisdom for some random internet geezer with a microphone...

Anyone here play RaceRoom and use Crew Chief?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Personally speaking, I love this kind of thing and I really appreciate persons such as yourself with the time/patients/talent to make it happen I say: build it and they will come! - Especially love the idea of speech recognition, adds an interesting and authentic angle to the race simulation perspective.

Banned
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I'd like a womans voice. Something like.

'Hey up big boi, 1 more lap to go finish first and I'll give you a blowie'

I joke, we hear enough nagging for it to be in our games too .

Platform
    PC
    Good luck with that AdM1

I'll have a fiddle and see what I can come up with. Except for the woman's voice, of course.

Might be a bit simple / buggy / thin at first but if it looks promising it should grow quite quickly. If anyone's interested, the work-in-progress source code is here (the "decoupled" branch) : https://github.com/mrbelowski/r3e_cr...tree/Decoupled

At this point, the PCars stuff is nothing more than the infrastructure and a smoke test - it does nothing yet. But it will

Thanks to MikeyTT for the shared memory struct layout, enums, and some of the mapping code

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    If your willing to spend the time to make it work in PCars, I'd be more than happy to give it a whirl.

Thanks
    CPU i7-4790k @ stock Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16gb DDR3 1600 PSU Corsair CX 750M
    GPU Asus 970 Strix @ 1450mhz (1500mhz in pcars) - Mem @ 1925mhz - driver 358.50 TV Samsung 60" @ 1920 x 1080
    Fanatec CSR + CSR Elite pedals - firmware 756 + driver 205
    Win7 64pro - PCars Max Usage / CPU @ 51% - GPU @ 99%

Platform
    PC
    This sounds interesting! What are the possibilities!? I usually race solo/time trial so improved engineer feedback would make it more engaging.
    I would love stuff about tyres being up to temp so make the laps count etc Brakes too cold brakes to hot. Stuff like that would be awesome.
    Beta tester at the ready!!
    i7 930 2.8GHZ oc'd @ 3.8 GHz | Gigabyte ex58-ud3r | EVGA gtx 970 4GB | 12 gig ram | Win7 Pro 64bit | SamsunG 2048x1152 | G25 wheel & pedals |
    Online name "l_ob" lobby room always called "Fun_Noassist" (Cockpit view and manual gears forced - no driving aids - full damage - real tyre and fuel usage)
    The following user likes this Post: TassyDevil

Platform
    PC
    Absolutely love it!
    MSI X99 Gaming 7, 16GB Hyper-X XMP Predator EVGA SC ACX 2 980Ti 1252/1446 boost ram 7776Ghz 64deg max, I7 5820K running at 4.6Ghz 60deg max, Corsair RM850, Thrustmaster T500RS and F1/T28 leather rim, Windows 8.1, Rift dk2, gt omega rs6 pro, 1080p triples bezel corrected to 6080*1080, Game settings at max except in-game AA, Nvidia inspector/maxwell AA on/transparency on/32*CSAA/8*SGSS/FXAA on, sim vibe chassis/4*Reckhorn 200s 200 watt Onkyo Amp.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I'd definitely be interested mate. Sounds great ... More variety and more information from the engineer would add to the immersion (especially in VR)
    SYSTEM: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.4 Ghz (Corsair H100i watercooler) | ASUS Maximus VI Hero MB | 16Gb 1866 RAM | MSI Nvidia GTX 980Ti | Oculus Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster T500RS Wheel and pedals + TH8 RS Shifter| Win 10 x64 |
    The following 2 users likes this Post: TassyDevil, TrevorAustin