Page 2 of 278 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Crew Chief - an alternative race engineer for console & PC

Platform
    PC
    yes please,if that twat engineer tells me one more time "i can do it" i'll kill myself in a wall of tires
    Intel Core i7 quad core 4790K 4GHZ/4,4GHZ turbo,16GB RAM,NVIDIA GeForce GTX980 4GB,128GB SSD 1TB HDD internal 3TB HDD external

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I would be interested. For both pCARS and RaceRoom. I've just started playing RaceRoom again after a long absence. Just bought my first cars and tracks as I had played nothing but the free content. I wasn't even aware that there was a Crew Chief option! I would be especially interested in the spotter! I always drive with the cockpit view and don't have the full view of what's gong on around me.

Platform
    PC
    Quick update on this...

The basic mapping from the PCars memory block to my app is looking OK. Lots of testing to do and bugs to fix so it's not ready to be used yet, but it's getting there.

There are some significant gaps in the shared memory data though. For example, it contains lots of tyre data but the pressure and tyre type (compound & tread type) are both missing. This makes it impossible to, for example, recommend changing to wets because my app can't know if wets are already on (well... if the weather starts dry (which *is* in the block) then goes wet it can guess I suppose).

The block is also missing mandatory pit stop information, and the penalties stuff looks a bit thin.

I can work around some of this but not all of it. There's still lots of other good stuff in there so I'll keep pressing on. Raceroom's missing some important data too - again, I had to do some workarounds and miss out a few features.

I've got a bit of rework to do on when I trigger some messages. RaceRoom doesn't (yet...) have a very long track, so triggering some types of message at the start of a sector or at the start of a new lap makes sense. But for the 'ring this obviously isn't good enough - shouldn't be too hard to figure out an alternative (new lap or 3 minutes, which ever is sooner. Or something like that).

If anyone wants to try the Raceroom version, it's here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/ind...-for-you.2516/
    Last edited by mr_belowski; 12-09-2015 at 08:49.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    The API stuff hasn't been updated in months which is a shame because you guys make some great apps with what your giving. Let's hope SMS fix and update some of the issues plaguing the API.

Platform
    PC
    Indeed... Is there a place to make proper requests for stuff to be added to the memory mapped file? If there is, I can be quite specific about what data I need and what types I think would be appropriate. It's probably only half a dozen items which are missing for my app and they're all quite simple

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    You can try making a request in the API Sub-forum here.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    What I missed in the R3E version is the "car left" and "car right". I got the "Hold your line", "Still there" and "Clear" but it never told me where the car was. Great app other than that! I NEED this for pCARS!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hi Mr_Belowski,

I bought Pcars this week-end (thanks the 40% rebate). I'd love to see your chiefcrew app for Pcars as I love it for R3E. The base pitcrew of the game is too limited compared to yours... Can't wait to test a functionnal version

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cry4dawn View Post
    What I missed in the R3E version is the "car left" and "car right". I got the "Hold your line", "Still there" and "Clear" but it never told me where the car was. Great app other than that! I NEED this for pCARS!
    This is because the data doesn't exist on shared memory for R3E, He use the delta timing to spot a car near you.
    The following user likes this Post: cry4dawn

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I rather like the sound of this, and not because I've done the odd bit of C# - BC has already been turned off as the commentary just smacks of GRiD, NFS, and the dodgier Rally sims