Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nurburgring GP - Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 - Problem with gear setup

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Question Nurburgring GP - Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 - Problem with gear setup

Hi guys,

I am a newbee to Project Cars, so sorry if my questions sounds, well, a little newbee! thanks for your help in advance, much appreciated.

Her is my problem: I am currently doing the SMS championship round at Nurburgring with the Mercedes SLS AMG GT3. I have two issues with the gear setup:

1) Is it normal that final drive is locked in my garage?? It appears to be locked on 3.09.

2) This means that I am completely puzzled to setup my gear ratios... Indeed, if I start with the lowest value for 1st gear (at 3.0), then I have to finish with 6th gear at 1.04. The trouble is... I never get to 6th gear on track! I stay at 5th gear max... But if I want a shorter 6th and 5th and etc. gear then I have to put 2nd gear on 3.0 and thus sacrifice my 1st gear...

I am really confused and don't know what to do. It is probably just some newbee problem but I don't see the solution... Could anyone help me out with this?

Thank you very much.

Platform
    PC
    It's normal as the SLS is homolagated that way.
    The following user likes this Post: Dekin

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Yes, it's the way the SLS is homologated. Still, I'm facing huge problems with this car in the GT3 class championships. I've tried everything, absolutely everything with it's setup, and it still lacks speed. The car is defined as a beast, so to speak, but every single car on track passes me by, it's ridiculous. I've tried reducing the spoilers configuration, closing the brake duct and the radiator slip, both to about 5%, and I still can't get pass the 22nd place on the grid. There has to be something terribly wrong with this car, because this is my second GT3 season, having played and won every championship the first time with the McLaren MP4-12C GT3. Can someone help or give me some tips on how to significantly upgrade the SLS performance?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlacky View Post
    It's normal as the SLS is homolagated that way.
    Many thanks for your reply MrBlacky. Does this mean that everyone has the same gearing setup when using the SLS? So for example everyone is using my setup (1st gear at 3.0 and 6th at 1.04) and never reaching 6th gear at Nurburgring? or are there ways around this to compensate for the lack of final drive? Is there anything I can do?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by joelsantos24 View Post
    Yes, it's the way the SLS is homologated. Still, I'm facing huge problems with this car in the GT3 class championships. I've tried everything, absolutely everything with it's setup, and it still lacks speed. The car is defined as a beast, so to speak, but every single car on track passes me by, it's ridiculous. I've tried reducing the spoilers configuration, closing the brake duct and the radiator slip, both to about 5%, and I still can't get pass the 22nd place on the grid. There has to be something terribly wrong with this car, because this is my second GT3 season, having played and won every championship the first time with the McLaren MP4-12C GT3. Can someone help or give me some tips on how to significantly upgrade the SLS performance?
    I can only tell you that the SLS is one of the fastest cars in our GT3 league

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhDv6m-8ZWg -> This is by far the fastest lap around Spa in an GT3 car. My PB in a BMW Z4 ist 5 tenths slower. Aston Marton 2 tenths slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvoNMwV4mvY -> Another example in Donington.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekin View Post
    Many thanks for your reply MrBlacky. Does this mean that everyone has the same gearing setup when using the SLS? So for example everyone is using my setup (1st gear at 3.0 and 6th at 1.04) and never reaching 6th gear at Nurburgring? or are there ways around this to compensate for the lack of final drive? Is there anything I can do?
    Yes. Everyone has the same gearing ratios on the SLS.

WMD Member Jussi Viljami Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, it's like that in the real car, they're not allowed to change it, and they indeed only very rarely get into 6th gear. It's part of the performance balancing of the car for running in GT3. =)
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

Suspension Calculator now available on the P.CARS Setups Database website!

Next Gen = More Biscuit!

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by joelsantos24 View Post
    Depends on type of event your running. Drop that second gear. Do lap testing motor may not hold up for a long event. Increase the acceleration lock test to find the right level. My problem with the SLS was not power and speed it was cornering I couldn't get it to handle. Also maybe go up on the rear toe.

Did some laps in this car, and hate driving it, wont be trying for a good time. But ill help ya out drop 2,3,4,5,6 eliminate using 1st and run front wing 0-1, and rear 1-5 at nurb gp

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlacky View Post
    I can only tell you that the SLS is one of the fastest cars in our GT3 league

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhDv6m-8ZWg -> This is by far the fastest lap around Spa in an GT3 car. My PB in a BMW Z4 ist 5 tenths slower. Aston Marton 2 tenths slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvoNMwV4mvY -> Another example in Donington.

(...)
    Yes, I know the SLS is a beast, but I just haven't found the pace with that car. It's a shame though, because I love it.

It's curious, because I played my first GT3 season with the MP4, and I absolutely cruised the championship with that car. I didn't win every race, but I was always up there, with more or less effort, and I always felt I could manage a good result with that car. The MP4 has a beautiful handling, and it hovers throughout the track. But I played my second season with the SLS, right after the fourth update. So, either SMS was able to break the AI even more (if that's even possible), or there is something really wrong with the car.

I found other players on the steam community forums with similar SLS issues (http://steamcommunity.com/app/234630.../?l=portuguese), so I tried to reduce the more prominent and possible drag sources (spoilers, brake ducts and the radiator slip, essentially). It worked, but the results didn't improve. I believe it's the AI, it's gotten worse since the update, I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Decaturs Finest View Post
    Depends on type of event your running. Drop that second gear. Do lap testing motor may not hold up for a long event. Increase the acceleration lock test to find the right level. My problem with the SLS was not power and speed it was cornering I couldn't get it to handle. Also maybe go up on the rear toe.
    I know. I just have to find the right setup balance, though.

Platform
    PC
    From what i've seen 12c gt3 has much better handling but has less grip in fast corners probabile because of less df