Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] From bad to worse.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by baz00ka View Post
    its also for backup purposes eg you xbox fails, you get another xbox, you back where you left off. people dont backup things manually, they know they have to but they just dont.
    What good is the cloud for backup if the backed up version is just as corrupted as your local one?
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    Optical, I asked (rhetorically) the other day why our stuff needs to be stored in the cloud in the first place. I'd guess the reason is so that you can use your saved profile on another Xbox. But I wonder how many of us actually do that. My gut tells me very few. If the issue is really cloud related, why couldn't we save our game data locally and then push to the cloud manually when we want to?
    AFAIK that's not a decision for SMS to make. Using the cloud saving feature is mandatory on XB1 (That's why the replays are forcibly uploaded, causing the saving issue).
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following 5 users likes this Post: OpticalHercules, Roger Prynne, Sankyo, Schnizz58

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    AFAIK that's not a decision for SMS to make. Using the cloud saving feature is mandatory on XB1.
    I was afraid it was something like that. Yay Microsoft!
    Last edited by Schnizz58; 21-09-2015 at 19:23.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    AFAIK that's not a decision for SMS to make. Using the cloud saving feature is mandatory on XB1.
    That's pretty clear. MS should , and maybe will, refine this system. A lot of games have problem with it. Battlefield 4 fails to sync cloud data at least one time per week and do not let you play until it's done
    The following user likes this Post: beetes_juice

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    but if the local copy is corrupted or inaccessible the copy in the cloud can be used for restore which in fact is often the case with this game where local save gets corrupted bc of game bugs, you delete it then restore from cloud. this is just a simple albeit limited backup solution which is way better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    What good is the cloud for backup if the backed up version is just as corrupted as your local one?

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    but if the local copy is corrupted or inaccessible the copy in the cloud can be used for restore which in fact is often the case with this game where local save gets corrupted bc of game bugs, you delete it then restore from cloud. this is just a simple albeit limited backup solution which is way better than nothing.
    But I do think that the save corruption is caused by a faillure in the cloud back-up process. Because I never had it, a lot of friends with stable connections never had it either. Some friends with very bad and unreliable connections had it more than once. I don't know whos fault is it but the things are clearly related.

Platform
    PC
    I've yet to see the saved version rescue a corrupted local version. It seems like it's much more likely the other way around. Every time I've had a problem both copies were corrupted.
    The following user likes this Post: Hammerpgh

Superkart Pilot OpticalHercules's Avatar
    Platform
    XBOX1
    AFAIK that's not a decision for SMS to make. Using the cloud saving feature is mandatory on XB1 (That's why the replays are forcibly uploaded, causing the saving issue).
    Thanks for your input, Bealdor. I do appreciate you wading in here.

I can appreciate the position that SMS is in if Microsoft is forcing SMS to make the local file update to cloud as a backup system, however PCars seems to go a bit farther than that. It seems to that the game is relying on the cloud file for all save activity, then deferring to the local save when the cloud is inaccessible such as when in Offline Mode. When these problems happen, people are still able to play when forcing Offline Mode, telling us that the local save file is intact and functioning just fine. But once back in online mode, the game faults and crashes or doesnt load. There is the option to delete local save file and re-sync from the cloud, but you cannot delete the cloud file and have it re-sync form the xbox. If that existed (Xbox functionality, nothing to do with PCars), it would be a simple workaround when these corruption issues happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58
    Optical, I asked (rhetorically) the other day why our stuff needs to be stored in the cloud in the first place. I'd guess the reason is so that you can use your saved profile on another Xbox. But I wonder how many of us actually do that. My gut tells me very few. If the issue is really cloud related, why couldn't we save our game data locally and then push to the cloud manually when we want to?
    This is something I've been asking repeatedly over the last few weeks. Assuming the game does operate on the local file and use the cloud as the backup copy, why couldn't SMS implement either: A) a separate loading screen for when the files are being sync'd to alert players to take no action at all for any reason, or B) have the game prompt the player to sync the files. You could easily make the prompt not avoidable, so you couldn't put it off or work aorund it, you would HAVE to do it, but it woudn't start without you clicking the button to do so.

If the game really is operating with the cloud save file as primary data source and local as the backup, well, that's just absurd. Such a system completely defeats the purpose of the cloud "backup". Unless, as Bealdor suggests, the cloud save is not intended to be a backup, but rather the primary save source for all games, why on earth didn't MS implement an option to delete the cloud file without deleting the local file. I do have doubts that that is the case though, as not all games rely on MS's cloud for data. MMO online only games like Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter, & Destiny save all "game" data on the companies central server, with only the individual users game configuration settings saved in the local/cloud data file.
    Apparently I'm a Muppet Fanboy! ...whatever that means.

North American Casual Racer Association -- Come join us any night!
    http://nacrassociation.proboards.com
    The following 2 users likes this Post: chastewand, Schnizz58

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Is it really necessary to reinstall everything, it is not enough to just uninstall the save file?
    Sorry for my bad English
    XBOX ONE X Thrustmaster TX with TM Leather 28 GT - Pedals T3PA - Shifter TH8A - Wheelstand Pro DELUXE V2

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixoye56 View Post
    Is it really necessary to reinstall everything, it is not enough to just uninstall the save file?
    I would think so. If the game didn't install correctly it probably wouldn't work at all.