Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] From bad to worse.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    helped me once with this game. whats your point anyway ? my point is i'd rather to have this simple backup solution than nothing at all. if your local data gets corrupted and if the cloud has still has a clean copy it helps. if both copies are screwed its not worse than having local storage only option. also keep in mind this goes for everything else you might have on xbox like your profile data, other game saves etc so if you are advocating for local storage only and your hard drive fails you are back to square one on everything. if for whatever bizarre reason thats your preference its fine but i prefer to have at least a simple backup in place than nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    I've yet to see the saved version rescue a corrupted local version. It seems like it's much more likely the other way around. Every time I've had a problem both copies were corrupted.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by baz00ka View Post
    helped me once with this game. whats your point anyway ? my point is i'd rather to have this simple backup solution than nothing at all. if your local data gets corrupted and if the cloud has still has a clean copy it helps. if both copies are screwed its not worse than having local storage only option. also keep in mind this goes for everything else you might have on xbox like your profile data, other game saves etc so if you are advocating for local storage only and your hard drive fails you are back to square one on everything. if for whatever bizarre reason thats your preference its fine but i prefer to have at least a simple backup in place than nothing at all.
    It's possibly worse than nothing if it's causing the database to become corrupted. Read Optical's post above. That's what my point is.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: Hammerpgh

Platform
    XBOX1
    Just been playing Manic Miner on ZX Spectrum emulator.
    Life was so simple then. It never crashed once.
    Xbox One, WD Elements 3TB USB3 HD, Crewchief (Android), PCars Dash (iPad), cup of tea, digestive biscuits (plain chocolate, not milk), huge grin.

Superkart Pilot OpticalHercules's Avatar
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixoye56 View Post
    Is it really necessary to reinstall everything, it is not enough to just uninstall the save file?
    No, it's not necessary at all to reinstall everything. At the same time, it doesn't hurt anything at all to uninstall the game and all DLC. Do so may or may not improve the game's performance after deleting local/cloud save files, but when the only impact on doing a complete reinstall is time, doesn't it make sense to do everything possible to improve all aspects of performance?
    Apparently I'm a Muppet Fanboy! ...whatever that means.

North American Casual Racer Association -- Come join us any night!
    http://nacrassociation.proboards.com

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by baz00ka View Post
    helped me once with this game. whats your point anyway ? my point is i'd rather to have this simple backup solution than nothing at all. if your local data gets corrupted and if the cloud has still has a clean copy it helps. ...
    The problem here is that it is never the local files that get corrupted, only the online files. That is the root of this problem. Currently you can delete your local save files and download a "clean" copy from the cloud, but there is no way to delete only the cloud file and re-upload a "clean" copy from the xbox. There is also no way to externally back up the save files that are on your xbox, at least I haven't found one. I would LOVE to be able to set aside a pen drive and do weekly backups of my local save files. Microsoft assumes that the cloud backup is all you need, but when that is the file being corrupted, there is no way at all to recover/revert from any other known-good file.

The following 2 users likes this Post: chastewand, Hammerpgh

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticalHercules View Post
    The problem here is that it is never the local files that get corrupted, only the online files. That is the root of this problem. Currently you can delete your local save files and download a "clean" copy from the cloud, but there is no way to delete only the cloud file and re-upload a "clean" copy from the xbox. There is also no way to externally back up the save files that are on your xbox, at least I haven't found one. I would LOVE to be able to set aside a pen drive and do weekly backups of my local save files. Microsoft assumes that the cloud backup is all you need, but when that is the file being corrupted, there is no way at all to recover/revert from any other known-good file.
    Because it would never occur to them that their cloud might fail.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    The preview forums have at least a dozen threads asking for the export save feature. Maybe after Windows 10 we will have this option.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: chastewand, Hammerpgh, OpticalHercules

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I ended up using PC for gaming to avoid this endless tweaking, and now it has become the same shit with the Consoles.
    I buy games to play, not to learn computer science
    Last edited by Ixoye56; 21-09-2015 at 20:19.
    Sorry for my bad English
    XBOX ONE X Thrustmaster TX with TM Leather 28 GT - Pedals T3PA - Shifter TH8A - Wheelstand Pro DELUXE V2
    The following 3 users likes this Post: grrrillapmp, Hammerpgh, Megalomanic87

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper GT View Post
    The preview forums have at least a dozen threads asking for the export save feature. Maybe after Windows 10 we will have this option.
    Wasn't aware of those. I hadn't even tried to do a local hard-backup either. I know I can move data from one drive to another if I hook up a USB drive to the xbox, but I don't remember there being a copy function. I was also very hopeful to find such a function in the Windows 10 Xbox app, but that would probably open a huge can of worms with people being able to manipulate those files in ways Microsoft would never support.

I wonder if I could hook up an external drive, move files to it, then disconnect it and then hook it up to a PC to backup there, then reconnect to xbox and move the files back there. Heck of a lot of hassle if you intend to do that as a weekly backup kind of thing, but maybe doable. Only problem then is whether xbox formats the drive in such a way as to make it unusable to a PC. If a Windows OS couldn't read the file, I wonder if some Linux or Mac OS might be able to...

The following user likes this Post: TheReaper GT

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Wasn't aware of those. I hadn't even tried to do a local hard-backup either. I know I can move data from one drive to another if I hook up a USB drive to the xbox, but I don't remember there being a copy function. I was also very hopeful to find such a function in the Windows 10 Xbox app, but that would probably open a huge can of worms with people being able to manipulate those files in ways Microsoft would never support.

I wonder if I could hook up an external drive, move files to it, then disconnect it and then hook it up to a PC to backup there, then reconnect to xbox and move the files back there. Heck of a lot of hassle if you intend to do that as a weekly backup kind of thing, but maybe doable. Only problem then is whether xbox formats the drive in such a way as to make it unusable to a PC. If a Windows OS couldn't read the file, I wonder if some Linux or Mac OS might be able to...
    Actually you can do a full drive back-up manually. A friend of mine changed his internal drive to a 2gb hybrid and did a manual back-up. I don't know how, but you can ask him (gamertag luisdurieux).