Thread: Aston Martin DBR1

Kart Driver

Aston Martin DBR1

I miss a good Forcefeedback in this Car.
    Its really hard to feel the Carweight here.
    I drive with a Logitech Driving Force Gt but in other Cars the Forcefeedback is way better.
    Are my settings wrong or its just the Car?

Vehicle Technical Lead Casey Ringley's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    It's the car. Welcome to something designed and built in the late 1950s. There was still a lot to learn about the kinematics of steering geometry.
    Haste Is Slow
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Ingo_Schwartz, Jussi Viljami Karjalainen, Paulo Ribeiro

WMD Member Jussi Viljami Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    I love the car, massive fun to throw around a track. The rear bump damping is perhaps a bit stiff compared to the front, so especially through bumps the car is a bit unsettled (there are definitely other things contributing to that in the suspension geometry though, but still), it helps to work on the dampers a bit. =)

What sort of diffs did they run back then? I've read that something like a cam and pawl thingie (the way that's been described to me was essentially locked during acc but open otherwise) was popular in some circles, but I have no idea what Aston would have used. Are the defaults set to replicate a period diff or something a bit more drivable as it is on many other cars?
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

Suspension Calculator now available on the P.CARS Setups Database website!

Next Gen = More Biscuit!

Vehicle Technical Lead Casey Ringley's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    IIRC, they put a clutch & ramp (Salisbury) type in the old Astons.
    Haste Is Slow

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ringley View Post
    IIRC, they put a clutch & ramp (Salisbury) type in the old Astons.
    Kewl beens, that makes things simpler. Well kinda, they could still have used all sorts of ramps and clutch packs, but at least the type is known! =)
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

Next Gen = More Biscuit!

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    it may bc im tired but i felt there was significant understeer in the default setup, anyone willing to share something with a little more rotation? couldve also been not being used to the ffb as i use jack spades.
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Platform
    PC
    It's gonna push a bit, it has tyres from the 50's and old suspension. In all honesty all I do for FFB is wind the master up to the 40's in car setup and drive.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    yeah i tried again with some basic adjustments (only kind i know to do) camber/toe stuff, seemed ready to tackle the nordschleife.
    Thrustmaster TX/CSR Elites/TH8a Shifter
    980OC/5820k@4.5/8GB DDR4@2400(stock)/WINDOWS 10

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by yusupov View Post
    it may bc im tired but i felt there was significant understeer in the default setup, anyone willing to share something with a little more rotation? couldve also been not being used to the ffb as i use jack spades.
    Front springs to 25, rear springs to 30 or 35 even, don't need to change dampers. Moves the spring bias from 22% higher frequency at the front to 14 or 23% higher frequency at the rear (depending on whether you go for 30 or 35 springs), which should help with understeer.

EDIT: To improve off-throttle rotation, you can reduce the dec lock in the differential settings. For the most part though cars like this should be cornered with at least some power on.

The tyres are also bias ply tyres, which live at relatively high slip angles: Don't be afraid to turn the wheel a bit more than on more modern cars. =)
    Last edited by Jussi Viljami Karjalainen; 29-09-2015 at 00:25.

Next Gen = More Biscuit!
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Gordon, yusupov