Page 2 of 131 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] Companion App - UDP Streaming

Platform
    XBOX1
    Any idea of what data will be available to the app developer? Will it be race data (lap times, current position, fastest lap, time behind, sector times), or strictly car data (telemetry). Just curious.
    PTG Home

Race Team
    Tester

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by PTG Baby Cow View Post
    Any idea of what data will be available to the app developer? Will it be race data (lap times, current position, fastest lap, time behind, sector times), or strictly car data (telemetry). Just curious.
    not yet, but I think both race, track and car data will be broadcasted through the network. That would be not only useful to telemetry and dash apps, but to league management too.
    Last edited by TheReaper GT; 30-09-2015 at 17:05.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by PureMalt77 View Post
    This proves once again what a Community-Driven game is all about!
    You would never get such a feedback and feature updates like this from EA, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Sony, you-name-it!

Thanks guys!
    You should let alone Sony since they allowed for this to be... >_>
    The following user likes this Post: madmax2069

Platform
    XBOX1
    Reaper. That's pretty much why I asked. A teammate makes apps and he'd like to try one for league type data I believe
    PTG Home

Race Team
    Tester

Platform
    XBOX1
    Reaper. That's pretty much why I asked. A teammate makes apps and he'd like to try one for league type data I believe.

I guess a better question would be what data is currently available on pc as that's what will likely be available to us.
    PTG Home

Race Team
    Tester
    The following user likes this Post: Mr.Smoke

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Reaper. That's pretty much why I asked. A teammate makes apps and he'd like to try one for league type data I believe.

I guess a better question would be what data is currently available on pc as that's what will likely be available to us.
    There's a thread with that information. I couldn't find it, but I'm sure it's out there.

Superkart Pilot ElectricBlues85's Avatar
    Platform
    PS4

Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper GT View Post
    There's a thread with that information. I couldn't find it, but I'm sure it's out there.
    You can see most of that info in this thread I believe:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...l=1#post984616

In the first post the 'code' window shows all of the data types that are included.
    PSN: ElectricBlues85
    PS4 - T300RS - Wheel Stand Pro - Real Assists
    YouTube Channel
    The following user likes this Post: TheReaper GT

Platform
    XBOX1
    Really looking forward to this if we dont get some smaller version due to restrictions from ms/sony.
    PTG Home

Race Team
    Tester

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Really looking forward to this if we dont get some smaller version due to restrictions from ms/sony.
    I would imagine that the Max UDP size is likely to restrict the telemetry output long before any concerns of the platform providers becomes an issue.

I haven't even looked at the shared memory file structure yet and therefore it's likely size, but the recommended max UDP size is just under 1500 bytes.

You want to avoid packet fragmentation, therefore the maximum amount of data that can be sent in a packet needs to be under the typical MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit), which on most hardware these days is just under 1500 bytes.

If the entire structure sent is under this number, great, we have a wealth of data coming our way, if it's over, well either Tim gets creative with compression techniques or compromises will have to be made, or probably both :P

Another option would be to interleave packets, so it sends a "race state" packet first, then follows up with a "car state" packet after and then the data can be split into two packets doubling the amount of data that can be sent, however this isn't free as for each different packet type you add you will reduce the "frame rate" of the data, so to speak.

Note to programmers, I've tried to laymans-ify the above, I know its not that simple, but serves as an illustration, if any of the above is wrong, correct me! - development is just a hobby for me, and I'm hellishly rusty, and i always welcome a chance to learn! :P
    Last edited by Vennt; 30-09-2015 at 18:59.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by azidahaka View Post
    You should let alone Sony since they allowed for this to be... >_>
    I understand your fear! But don't worry, they will not turn it back because of my comment.

What I'm refering to is not Sony as a whole, but in general game publishers.
    Specifically to racing games, I played GT3 to GT6 and almost every F1 game since 2010, and have never seen user requested features implemented in any of them.

New features are usually analyzed and maybe implemented in a next version. Actually PCars2 will have many of the requested features listed in this forum.

But this is a completely new feature that will be implemented in the current version and deserves attention! Many people come over here only to complain: "I want my money back", "this game is unplayable/unfinished", and these people fail to see that for a team sized as SMS and the budget that was made available, we have a hell of a game, constant patches and features. In short: they are listening to us, this is all I wanted to say in the first place!
    PSN: PureMalt77
    Gear: T300RS | T3PA Pro | TH8A | PlaySeat Challenge | K810 | Wireless Headset 2.0 | pCars Dash | FFB
    Real Life: 2012 BMW 520d | 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650A
    "If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
    The following 7 users likes this Post: diesel97, ElectricBlues85, F1_Racer68, gotdirt410sprintcar, Mr.Smoke, ports, RimanDk