Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chasing FPS

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC

Chasing FPS

Ahhh the blessing that is a curse on PC platform gaming: chasing FPS and balancing it verses visual quality.

I feel like I've got a pretty stout PC and I've never been anything but a solid 60 FPS with all ultra and high settings. That is until I hit rain in my career. I had thought that I had tested FPS early on in the game and had settings giving me a solid 60 no matter what, but maybe I didn't have 30 cars on the grid, maybe it wasn't at night, maybe it was a light track. Anyway, now in rain at Sakitto at night, from the start I'm down to around 45-50 FPS with it settling out a bit after half a lap or so. I can adjust things a little and get starts in rain up to 50ish, but not 60.

I spent basically all of my disposable income for about 2 years pretty much centered around pCARS and getting the ultimate experience all the way around, so why stop now I guess, right? Anyway, I'll throw some questions out for all of you techies out there (I am not one):

It sounds like there's not a card out there that by itself will blast through rain starts at 60 FPS regardless of car count. Is that true?
    Is there anything that can be/is being done by SMS to ease the burden of rain? (I'm not willing to turn off rain drops)
    It sounds like SLI isn't helping either. Is SLI stuff going to try to be improved? I'm getting 80% max gpu usage and 54% max cpu usage when I get frame lags with my single 980.
    Would I benefit currently from adding another 980?
    Would I be crazy if I replaced a 980 with a 980ti? (I don't have more money than I know what to do with. I am single though as you may guess....not too ugly, but selfish)
    What are optimal settings in nVidia control panel?
    What can you really turn down in racing and replays and not really notice? I've basically sacrificed everywhere except texture quality. In fact, I've pretty much got everything turned off or on low except that I have car and track detail on high and reflections on medium. I've read that reflections are a killer in the rain, but low is just too low for me. The ferris wheel reflection at Sakitto in the rain is awesome, and "low" reflections turns it off.

(Yes, I know how to use the search feature, and yes, I already know the 2 or 3 people that will ask if I don't specify upfront, but I just want to race again like I used to and stop burning up all of my free time.)

I'll leave off here for now, but I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions about SLI as I read some things and think that I want to go with it and then I'll read that 1 card will always be easier and just better all around than the headache of SLI. I'm quite sure that I'm tired of just PC issues in general (FPS, temps, mods, where do I paste this? hey! where did that go? oops, did I delete that?....you know our time killers on PC)
    Asus Sabertooth Z97, EVGA GeForce 980, SeaSonic Platinum 1000W, i7-4790K 4.0Ghz, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3, Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, Thrustmaster TX, GTE rim with SR Hardware SLI, TH8A, DSD Pro Sequential 2015, CSP V2 pedals, Clubsport handbrake, CPX adapter, Buttkicker Gamer, Buttkicker Home Theater 300, Accuforce Pro w/Momo mod30, Acer XB270H 27" monitor x 3

Platform
    PC
    Question: is it making your racing experience any worse? If not just turn off the counter and have fun :-)
    Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10
    Logitech G27 | Thrustmaster Warthog | HyperX Cloud Alpha | Fiio E10K DAC

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by nhitrac View Post
    Question: is it making your racing experience any worse? If not just turn off the counter and have fun :-)
    I know you're point, and that was exactly my approach until it actually did. I run on a tv in 60hz and dropping from 60 even to 50 coming into a corner definitely affects the racing quality and my ability.
    Asus Sabertooth Z97, EVGA GeForce 980, SeaSonic Platinum 1000W, i7-4790K 4.0Ghz, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3, Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, Thrustmaster TX, GTE rim with SR Hardware SLI, TH8A, DSD Pro Sequential 2015, CSP V2 pedals, Clubsport handbrake, CPX adapter, Buttkicker Gamer, Buttkicker Home Theater 300, Accuforce Pro w/Momo mod30, Acer XB270H 27" monitor x 3
    The following user likes this Post: balderz002

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I wish I had your predicament! Good luck with a resolution!

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by balderz002 View Post
    I wish I had your predicament! Good luck with a resolution!
    Thanks man. There are trade offs to everything in life. You look for what makes you happy and understand that you can't have it all.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowsley View Post
    Thanks man. There are trade offs to everything in life. You look for what makes you happy and understand that you can't have it all.
    Crap, did I just answer my own question? Hope not...

Platform
    PC
    Never gone below 60 fps with my MSI 980 on ultra in every settings

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    If you have trouble in the rain or heavy clouding then reduce the Envoirment Map to low. That helped alot. I am using a MSI 980 and an Intel I7-4790k.

Platform
    PC
    I have frame drops on some tracks as well:
    -In Spa after the Eau Rouge
    -Circuit Du 24 Heures on the straight my fps are sometimes 30 (i normally have 80)
    -Nordschleife in Pflanzgarten

Its everytime on the part of the track where I have these framedrops

Superkart Pilot VanquishedVantage's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    The only frame drops I have are when I'm on a straight, and that's like a 5 frame drop.
    Other than that, 100 FPS average and it's buttery smooth. (atleast on my old PC with an i7-3770K and a 960).
    With my upcoming 970 and my i5-6600K I would expect around 120-150 FPS on ultra.
    Last edited by VanquishedVantage; 17-10-2015 at 20:45.
    Rig specs: | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.5 | GPU: EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW Gaming ACX 2.0 | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 6.0GB/s | Mobo: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97-X Gaming 5 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB | Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz 1920 x 1080 | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower |