Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Open wheel needs urgent attention

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Open wheel needs urgent attention

There hasnīt been anything added in this class and the current content is underwhelming.

The two fastest cars have serious problems and, even after buying the game thinking these would be the main attraction, I find myself driving plenty of other cars far more often than these.

The Formula B is admittedly FUN to drive. But thatīs where the good news end. The car has far too much downforce and also mechanical grip, it drives on rails after a bit of setup work, and itīs simply too fast and easy. This car, with around 600 hp, can lap Barcelona GP in 1:23s. So you can see what that implies, itīs enough to take pole position by more than 1 second in this yearīs Formula 1 race. All of that with a 200+HP deficit! That tells you more about how much excessive downforce and grip this thing has than anything else I can explain. Itīs nonsense.

Now letīs talk about setup. Its default setup is decent but comes with a steering ratio more appropiate for Sports car... itīs no big deal, but how did this slip through? The medium compound is not only more durable but also faster than the soft. That eliminates any reason for the soft to exist and any strategy choice that could have been taken by the player is negated. The medium is also inmune to overheating, you can use ridiculously low pressures, run the tyre on orange/red temperatures and have more grip than you would with pressures that take the tyre to the green temperature zone on the HUD.

The Formula A has its share of issues too. The default setup is garbage and it turns away people who donīt have the patience or knowledge to undo the mess. The brakes lack A LOT of stopping power, and you can barely lock your tyres even with max pressure and the correct cooling. Of course that impacts the braking distances quite a lot. The DRS rules are not implemented, and the use is free. Thatīs worse than no DRS at all, as everyone gets to use it... all it does now is allowing you to use very high wing levels in a lot of tracks where that shouldnīt pay off.

On the good side, this carīs tyres ARE temperature sensitive. You lose grip after a big slide and you have to keep the tyres on the green zone to go fast, unlike with the FB.

So I wonder if there are fixes or additions coming for the class soon.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: mkstatto, yusupov

Superkart Pilot Sir Digby Chicken Caesar's Avatar
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    The medium compound is not only more durable but also faster than the soft. That eliminates any reason for the soft to exist and any strategy choice that could have been taken by the player is negated. The medium is also inmune to overheating, you can use ridiculously low pressures, run the tyre on orange/red temperatures and have more grip than you would with pressures that take the tyre to the green temperature zone on the HUD.
    The Yiros (mediums) do feel supernaturally grippy, but it doesn't matter for me because of some FFB bug where any brake pressure causes the steering to force itself to center. It's not worth it by any stretch. I didn't realize how much I trail-braked until I found that problem, and I really do prefer to brake before turns when possible. Haven't been able to get my pit crew in career to avoid them either. (I've already posted about this, it's still broken, whatever.)

Platform
    PC
    Agree for Kers/Drs, iirc F0rmula 1 cars have unlimited access to kers while track sectors where you can use DRS are 2 on every track, here in game it's the opposite, limited kers unlimited drs, also F-A lacks gearbox protection and ppl abuse of engine braking...

Superkart Pilot Sir Digby Chicken Caesar's Avatar
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by havocc View Post
    Agree for Kers/Drs, iirc F0rmula 1 cars have unlimited access to kers while track sectors where you can use DRS are 2 on every track, here in game it's the opposite, limited kers unlimited drs, also F-A lacks gearbox protection and ppl abuse of engine braking...
    Ingame, they both operate like they did in 2011 F1 practice and qualifying.
    The following user likes this Post: TrevorAustin

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    The Formula B is admittedly FUN to drive. But thatīs where the good news end. The car has far too much downforce and also mechanical grip, it drives on rails after a bit of setup work, and itīs simply too fast and easy. This car, with around 600 hp, can lap Barcelona GP in 1:23s. So you can see what that implies, itīs enough to take pole position by more than 1 second in this yearīs Formula 1 race. All of that with a 200+HP deficit! That tells you more about how much excessive downforce and grip this thing has than anything else I can explain. Itīs nonsense.
    Err, why then do the leader boards say the current fastest is 1:26.568 for Formula B at Barcelona GP?

Sounds about right to me. And I seem to remember Ben Collins being reasonably happy with the Formula B's performance.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by vicdavery View Post
    Err, why then do the leader boards say the current fastest is 1:26.568 for Formula B at Barcelona GP?

Sounds about right to me. And I seem to remember Ben Collins being reasonably happy with the Formula B's performance.
    Ben Collins being that famous GP2 & Formula One driver, would be great if they could bring somebody on board to look at these two cars.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkstatto View Post
    Ben Collins being that famous GP2 & Formula One driver, would be great if they could bring somebody on board to look at these two cars.
    Your sarcasm is noted.
    The question is who would you trust more?
    Someone who has extensive racing experience, driving many different tracks and cars..
    BTCC
    V8 Supercars
    FIA GT3
    Le Mans Series
    British GT Championship
    ASCAR
    FIA Sportscars
    French Formula Three
    Indy Lights
    Int'l Sports Racing
    FIA GT Championship
    British Formula 3
    Formula Vauxhall Junior

or

some random person on a forum, who appears to have not checked his facts (1:23 vs 1:26 fastest lap) and then presented that as the basis for calling a car nonsense.

Platform
    PC
    The Formula B does NOT mimic a GP2 car. So comparisons of those two performance wise are futile IMO.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Bigger Than Dave, flybikes, IJOJOI, N0body Of The Goat

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by vicdavery View Post
    Your sarcasm is noted.
    The question is who would you trust more?
    Someone who has extensive racing experience, driving many different tracks and cars..
    BTCC
    V8 Supercars
    FIA GT3
    Le Mans Series
    British GT Championship
    ASCAR
    FIA Sportscars
    French Formula Three
    Indy Lights
    Int'l Sports Racing
    FIA GT Championship
    British Formula 3
    Formula Vauxhall Junior

or

some random person on a forum, who appears to have not checked his facts (1:23 vs 1:26 fastest lap) and then presented that as the basis for calling a car nonsense.
    Genuinely I didn't mean for the post to come off sarcastically, and I do appreciate that he has racing experience. My point was more aimed at the last part of my post bringing in added experience of evaluating the FA & FB cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    The Formula B does NOT mimic a GP2 car. So comparisons of those two performance wise are futile IMO.
    I stand corrected, I was under the assumption it was. I seem to remember a Team VVV preview stating it was, unless it was my imagination. What is its real life counter part?

On a side note, I find wheel retention to be appalling on open wheel series, especially FA & FB.
    Last edited by mkstatto; 20-10-2015 at 12:14. Reason: Combined double post

Platform
    PC
    I stand corrected, I was under the assumption it was. I seem to remember a Team VVV preview stating it was, unless it was my imagination. What is its real life counter part?
    AFAIK it's loosely based on a Superleague Formula car.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following 3 users likes this Post: mkstatto, N0body Of The Goat, yusupov