Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious neck pain

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Serious neck pain

Hi Guys,

I bought pCars two weeks ago. Brilliant game. Best sim yet. A few notches up on LFS where I was playing before.

Downside is, I have terribly bad neck pain while playing it. Started as just a burning at the back of my neck that went away when I finished playing and relaxed. Now it has spread to hurting all day even when I'm not playing. I'm not doing massively long sessions. Currently working my way up through GT4 sessions, which are about 30-40min races tops and I seldom do more than 2 back to back and in the evenings that's all I have time for. Weekends I might do 2 races, then take a break for a few hours, then do another race or two. Not exactly like I was back in the days of GT1 and GT2 where I played non-stop for 14 hours a day.

May not be the game per-sae as I also upgraded from an older Logitech racing wheel with a 180* rotation to a Logitech G920.

Anyone else had neck pains playing this or other games? Any tips? I'm sure it is probably tension and posture related. I tried lowering my seat which helped a bit.

Paul

It could just be coincidence or just that your a little more tense in pCars.
    I've been playing since it came out with no issues until two weeks ago where I started getting a stiff neck but it seems to be passing now.

I wouldn't rule out it being the game as I suffer very badly with my wrists when playing LFS, as little as 20 mins causes so much pain I can't play anything for several weeks.
    I don't even play with high FFB settings it's just something about it that sucks.
    System: i5 750 @ 3.4GHz (currently stock 2.66GHz), 16GB RAM, (GTX680 GPU RIP) ,GTX 1060, Gigabyte GA/P55-UD5 Logitech G25 wheel (Falling apart),win7 64/ Win XP 32 SP3, all drivers upto date.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
    Hi Guys,

I bought pCars two weeks ago. Brilliant game. Best sim yet. A few notches up on LFS where I was playing before.

Downside is, I have terribly bad neck pain while playing it. Started as just a burning at the back of my neck that went away when I finished playing and relaxed. Now it has spread to hurting all day even when I'm not playing. I'm not doing massively long sessions. Currently working my way up through GT4 sessions, which are about 30-40min races tops and I seldom do more than 2 back to back and in the evenings that's all I have time for. Weekends I might do 2 races, then take a break for a few hours, then do another race or two. Not exactly like I was back in the days of GT1 and GT2 where I played non-stop for 14 hours a day.

May not be the game per-sae as I also upgraded from an older Logitech racing wheel with a 180* rotation to a Logitech G920.

Anyone else had neck pains playing this or other games? Any tips? I'm sure it is probably tension and posture related. I tried lowering my seat which helped a bit.

Paul
    It's the lazy slapdash coding and bugs, I'm suffering from ED because of the game.
    MSI X99 Gaming 7, 16GB Hyper-X XMP Predator EVGA SC ACX 2 980Ti 1252/1446 boost ram 7776Ghz 64deg max, I7 5820K running at 4.6Ghz 60deg max, Corsair RM850, Thrustmaster T500RS and F1/T28 leather rim, Windows 8.1, Rift dk2, gt omega rs6 pro, 1080p triples bezel corrected to 6080*1080, Game settings at max except in-game AA, Nvidia inspector/maxwell AA on/transparency on/32*CSAA/8*SGSS/FXAA on, sim vibe chassis/4*Reckhorn 200s 200 watt Onkyo Amp.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    There is a natural health for hurts and pains like that.......DONT PLAY VIDEO GAMES.......

would be a bit pathedic when you go to the doctor and you say you hurt because of playing video games ^^......

maybe a good chair where you sit very well in, could help....

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by F2kSel View Post
    It could just be coincidence or just that your a little more tense in pCars.
    I think it is probably the tension. The AI, while not perfect and quite annoying at times, are actually really good fun and certainly can bring a good amount of tension to a race.

I have my FFB master at 29% and I may actually lower it further. I drive a GT86 in real life, including on track and I could easily palm steer the car, but even at 29% FFB master there is no way to palm steer any car in pCars. This would obviously be different for proper race cars, maybe. But... FFB setup is probably beyond the scope of this topic

Platform
    PC
    I'm no doctor.... but I know something about neck pain.

First of all, is it muscular or articular pain?
    Muscular pain in the neck can be simply tied to some stress... or bad posture.
    Try to work on both these aspects.

...and ask advice from a doctor should not be seen as shameful, even if the cause of the illness may be seen as such.
    Also, I see no shame in telling someone that you play a lot of videogames, in the year 2015.
    "I was playing pCARS on PC before it was mainstream" - cit.

MB: Asus Strix Z270F Gaming
    CPU: i5-7600K @4.63GHz
    RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LED 2666mhz
    GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Gaming A8G
    HD: Corsair MP500 240Gb M.2 PCIe + Crucial MX300 1Tb M.2 SATA
    Audio: Onboard Realtech sound chip + Sennheiser headphones / stereo speakers
    Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 w/ P1 Elite rim + Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V3 + Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ + Playseat racing seat
    Monitor: Asus PA 238Q - 23" 1920x1080 P-IPS
    VR: Oculus Rift CV1 + Oculus Touch Controllers
    Case & PSU: NZXT H440 V.2, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate, Corsair RM850i
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro N, nVidia WHQL Drivers 388.31
    The following user likes this Post: Gordon

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by venquessa View Post
    Could be tension, dont think i am being funny, but how do you sit in your seat? relaxed back into it, or hunched forwards? loose grip on the wheel?

Why not go all 70's and try a beaded seat cover? ignore that, it was just for the lolz.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The pain is odd, it's like the skin is tight and burning. Rubbing it doesn't seem to help, scratching it with a nail hurts like hell. But over the past few weeks, while the immediate symptoms have stayed the same, the general pain and stiffness in my neck has increased slowly.

I may be dealing with multiple causes, today is the first day my neck has been sore the next morning, but I may have slept funny last night. I'll give it a few days and see. Might take a night off pCars though.

I found I was sitting up straight and leaning forward a lot, so what I have done is:

* Lower my seat, this forces me to sit back properly, like I do in my real car. (Seat is a fairly expensive office swivel chair with nice back support, arm rests (which, yes, are annoying when driving). I work as a programmer, so sitting at a desk stuck in a computer screen is natural for me, been doing it for 12 hours a day since I was 15 without many issues... yet.
    * Consciously exercise/stretch and relax my neck on the straights.
    * Try and force myself to relax and smile on the straights.
    * Try and force myself to relax when I'm leading by 5 seconds.

Hopefully it's just something I will get used to and the pain will go away.

I recall one other game that gave me similar pain... can't remember what it was though, don't think it was a driving game. I do recall it wasn't a game I played often though. I'd play it all evening, my neck would hurt like hell, but I wouldn't play it again for a week so it wasn't an issue.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by balderz002 View Post
    Could be tension, dont think i am being funny, but how do you sit in your seat? relaxed back into it, or hunched forwards? loose grip on the wheel?
    Sitting up a bit too straight, hunching forward during stressful racing periods. Mostly light grip on the wheel. Still learning how to deal with oversteer and a 900* wheel. Started with a lot of flapping and clambering around when sliding badly. Now I just avoid sliding badly or let the wheel spin then grip and push it.

As per my previous post, I'm already trying to force myself to relax and sit back more.

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    you tried going to get a proper massage?