Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frame rate issues and PS4 fan noise

Platform
    PS4

Frame rate issues and PS4 fan noise

I have battled with this for a while and I am sure that the heat issues are affecting my frame rate on the PS4. Even when PCARSis in the menus my fans can be imitating a 747 coming in to land. I did Hoover the thing out the other day and for a short period I am sure the noise and even the frame rate had improved but alas yesterday the fans were back up to their old tricks again. My PS4 is not even 12 months old and only PCARS installed on it. Any tips on cooling, PS4 currently sat on a shelf next to wall mounted TV?

I did think it was just because PCARS pushes the consoles to the limit but have seen people on here advising they don't get the issues

BTW The issues with frame rate are mainly on replays but they look really jerky and that is only in practice with one car on track. I just kind of got used to it and just wondered if it was that bad anyway! I know there are still issues with various points on the track where the cars seem to 'teleport' a few feet but this is different.
    Last edited by Photonmonkey; 25-11-2015 at 13:29.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    Is there enough space behind the PS4?

I think I remember seeing people complaining about jerky replays.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid7394 View Post
    Is there enough space behind the PS4?

I think I remember seeing people complaining about jerky replays.
    That's a good point there is hardly any space behind the PS4 just enough room for cables to come out and then 'wall' it's not enclosed or anything but maybe I need some more airflow around it.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Photonmonkey View Post
    I have battled with this for a while and I am sure that the heat issues are affecting my frame rate on the PS4. Even when PCARSis in the menus my fans can be imitating a 747 coming in to land. I did Hoover the thing out the other day and for a short period I am sure the noise and even the frame rate had improved but alas yesterday the fans were back up to their old tricks again. My PS4 is not even 12 months old and only PCARS installed on it. Any tips on cooling, PS4 currently sat on a shelf next to wall mounted TV?

I did think it was just because PCARS pushes the consoles to the limit but have seen people on here advising they don't get the issues

BTW The issues with frame rate are mainly on replays but they look really jerky and that is only in practice with one car on track. I just kind of got used to it and just wondered if it was that bad anyway! I know there are still issues with various points on the track where the cars seem to 'teleport' a few feet but this is different.
    Yes, Ive got the first wave PS4 and the fan noise is so annoying especially in the tuning menus. What I would like to know is, that those who have the latest PS4 model, cuh-1200 series, are you guys enjoying silence. In other words, is the new model quieter in menus in Pcars? Thanks.

Replay quality: I think it has nothing to do with PS4 heat levels. Blame the programming. The most important think is driving, thank god there is no janky tearing.
    PS4 / T300RS with G27 pedals
    https://m.youtube.com/user/FINbaek

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    I had a first issue PS4 and had never noticed too much fan noise until I bought Project Cars, then I got the jet engine impressions from the fan whilst playing. About a week later my PS4 developed a minor issue with what sounded like a component in the PSU ( probably just coincidence) It started to make feint noises while powered off, I left this for a while but as i was coming to the end of my warranty I decided to speak with Game and they gave me a brand new one, which is the newer model. ( I must also say that I see a lot of complaints about Game in the UK but their customer service was top notch for me, replacing a 10 month old PS4 with a brand new one, no problems at all)
    The new one hardly makes a sound to be honest, a vast difference to the previous one I had.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    First wave PS4 suffer from cheap and badly applied thermal paste. Replaced it myself and the result was unbelievable. From hairdryer noise to basically completely silent in ALL games, all circumstances...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M73N712a3WM
    The following user likes this Post: spacepadrille

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by rillelives View Post
    First wave PS4 suffer from cheap and badly applied thermal paste. Replaced it myself and the result was unbelievable. From hairdryer noise to basically completely silent in ALL games, all circumstances...

I'm so gonna do this! Thank you!

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    I'm too scared %-(

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by rillelives View Post

And I did this BUT still the Project cars tuning screen turns my old PS4 into a jet engine.
    Actually I did this twice, as in a pc store I asked the guy behind the desk to recommend me a good thermal paste. The first paste had no affect in silence.
    The second thermal paste, the same as in the video, also did not have any effect in desibel level (about 70db at loudest) at the most demanding screen, the tuning screen.
    So the new wave PS4, cuh-1200 series might do the trick. But at the moment I'm not going to invest into new PS4.

If you still have warranty in your PS4 I recommend not to open it by yourself. Hand it to Sony.

Positives.. Now I can disassemble and assemble my PS4 at any day.

Happy new year all!
    Last edited by finbaek; 30-12-2015 at 18:22.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I am sorry it didn't work out for you. Mine is still whisper quiet just going one notch or step over idle fan level during heavy load.
    I used the arctic something mx2 paste. I cleaned the internals and as well bent the thingie on the back plate to get more preassure on the cooler on the chip...