Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is WRC dead?

Platform
    PC

Question Is WRC dead?

I think back fondly about the glory days of the WRC back in the 80's and 90's. Especially in the Sainz- Makinen- Mcrae era which I experienced personally when the series was at its peak. There was something special about the world rally championship back then, as the field seemed more diverse and the cars were more appealing, attracting a world wide audience and huge television figures at the time.

So my question to you is; do you think that the FIA screwed up this form of motorsport too like they did with F1 by over regulating things, and switching to these small grocery shoppers instead of the Lancers and Impreza's of yesteryear? To me personally current day rally cars like the Mini, Fiesta and Polo don't have much appeal anymore, and make it look like you're watching a junior category instead of the real deal.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: balderz002, Grijo, Invincible, Konan

Platform
    PC
    Sad to say I agree with you
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by mister dog View Post
    I think back fondly about the glory days of the WRC back in the 80's and 90's. Especially in the Sainz- Makinen- Mcrae era which I experienced personally when the series was at its peak. There was something special about the world rally championship back then, as the field seemed more diverse and the cars were more appealing, attracting a world wide audience and huge television figures at the time.

So my question to you is; do you think that the FIA screwed up this form of motorsport too like they did with F1 by over regulating things, and switching to these small grocery shoppers instead of the Lancers and Impreza's of yesteryear? To me personally current day rally cars like the Mini, Fiesta and Polo don't have much appeal anymore, and make it look like you're watching a junior category instead of the real deal.
    What about the 2017 changes: more power, better aero, racier looking cars?

WMD Member Jussi Viljami Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Aerodynamics ruined racing, more aerodynamics ruins racing more...

But yeah, my favorite era was the Group A era, it had to me the most interesting cars (more ties to the actual road going cars, homologation specials for sale and so on), these were the cars that created the Lancer Evolution and the Impreza WRX STi. The introduction of the World Rally Car in the later part of the 90s was already a step in the wrong direction from my perspective though they managed to stay sane up until the early 2000s, the current stuff are just silly, uninteresting little shopping carts hopped up beyond belief with no connection to the road going car. The only saving grace is that at least there are four manufacturers running instead of the 2-3 it was in the worst period.

As for Group B... Meh. The cars were fast obviously, but they were essentially racing prototypes, with no relation to anything roadworthy. A technical curiosity.
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

Suspension Calculator now available on the P.CARS Setups Database website!

Next Gen = More Biscuit!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Invincible, mister dog, Morgan Henstridge

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jussi Karjalainen View Post
    Aerodynamics ruined racing, more aerodynamics ruins racing more...

But yeah, my favorite era was the Group A era, it had to me the most interesting cars (more ties to the actual road going cars, homologation specials for sale and so on), these were the cars that created the Lancer Evolution and the Impreza WRX STi. The introduction of the World Rally Car in the later part of the 90s was already a step in the wrong direction from my perspective though they managed to stay sane up until the early 2000s, the current stuff are just silly, uninteresting little shopping carts hopped up beyond belief with no connection to the road going car. The only saving grace is that at least there are four manufacturers running instead of the 2-3 it was in the worst period.

As for Group B... Meh. The cars were fast obviously, but they were essentially racing prototypes, with no relation to anything roadworthy. A technical curiosity.
    The group B era was way before my time but I love what I've seen on videos. That group B Peugeot (I think it was a Peugeot) tackling the pikes peak hill climb back in the days when it was mostly dirt is probably my favourite piece of rally type footage ever. The onboard in the group b Audi with Walter Ruhr is also up there for me.

I've always been attracted to insanely quick and powerful cars.
    Last edited by LukeC; 10-12-2015 at 04:17.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Mad LL, mister dog

Platform
    PS4
    I watched an old BBC Grandstand programme about the 1997 RAC Rally the other week and seriously NOTHING I have ever watched before has made me feel so nostalgic, proper lump in the throat throughout, watching the likes of Richard Burns, Tommi Makinen, McRae in the Subaru, sliding through the forest, sideways, that noise, the F2 cars like Gwyndaf Evans in a SEAT Ibiza, the atmosphere, the fans, the bonfires next to the stages.......f**k me, it was incredible to watch and remember how amazing that era was. I think the late nineties is my motor racing era.

Then look at it now and I feel sad for a different reason. It just sucks.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: balderz002, beetes_juice, John Hargreaves, mister dog

Platform
    PC
    I remember yomping through the forests of Yorkshire trying to figure out where the hell the rally stage was, in the days before the internet and gps phones. I would park up at the side of some road and just follow the spectators and the sound of engines. It used to cost nothing to do that and you could wander anywhere you wanted. Those days when 'Young Colin McRae' was in the early stages of his career, battling Tommi in the British championship, and then getting the full works wrc drive. They really were magical years in so many ways. That period was what got me hooked on motorsport and I've been here ever since.
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: mister dog

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC View Post
    What about the 2017 changes: more power, better aero, racier looking cars?
    Thanks for the tip, didn't know and checked it out:

http://www.fia.com/news/new-regulati...orld-rally-car

But in the end it will just be shopping carts on steroids...
    The FIA doesn't have a clue, hopeless really.
    The following user likes this Post: vexa

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by mister dog View Post
    Thanks for the tip, didn't know and checked it out:

http://www.fia.com/news/new-regulati...orld-rally-car

But in the end it will just be shopping carts on steroids...
    The FIA doesn't have a clue, hopeless really.
    I think it will be an improvement, although how significant we will need to wait and see. I think F1 is in a more serious crisis than WRC, and I'm hoping the 2017 will deliver, otherwise it's not looking good.

I think the WEC is in a good place though.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by m355y View Post
    I watched an old BBC Grandstand programme about the 1997 RAC Rally the other week and seriously NOTHING I have ever watched before has made me feel so nostalgic, proper lump in the throat throughout, watching the likes of Richard Burns, Tommi Makinen, McRae in the Subaru, sliding through the forest, sideways, that noise, the F2 cars like Gwyndaf Evans in a SEAT Ibiza, the atmosphere, the fans, the bonfires next to the stages.......f**k me, it was incredible to watch and remember how amazing that era was. I think the late nineties is my motor racing era.

Then look at it now and I feel sad for a different reason. It just sucks.
    That would be the same BBC Grandstand era when you could watch those awesome BTCC races too! (Bring on this Laguna!)

They were great times.
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce
    complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cluck, John Hargreaves