Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UDP Broadcasting into complete LAN? Are you shure to want this?

Platform
    PC

UDP Broadcasting into complete LAN? Are you shure to want this?

Hi,

UDP Streaming was realizied in pCARS in order to give a second possibility like the "Shared Memory" to collect Data out of pCARS.
    Good intention, nice attempt, but...

I don't know why those UDP Output broadcasts are going into the complete Network?

I call something like that Broadcast-Flooding, others maybe call it DoS.
    If someone sets his UDP Sending into fastest Mode, some Devices in the Network will fail, because of Traffic-Flooding.

Noone can tell Users to create VLANs in his LAN in order to keep the Network Traffic down or calm.
    This cannot be the solution SMS...

Force the users to set IP Adresses in pCARS, which devices should receive Data (and only those!).
    Make the UDP Stream configure-able to 3-5 Devices and everything is good.
    The traffic should only go to those Devices (configured by IP), not more or less.

Don't yell everything into the complete Network, like a LAN-UDP-Broadcast-Monster...
    Nothing else is pCARS if someone enables this Option...
    Last edited by Snoopy; 15-12-2015 at 14:23. Reason: Typos...
    Best regards,
    Andreas

CPU: AMD FX8 8120 - RAM: 16GB Corsair PC1333 - GFX: (2x SLI) NVidia GTX 970 EVGA Superclocked - Display: ASUS MX299Q 29" 2560x1080 - MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX - Wheel: Fanatec Porsche GT3 RS - HDD: Crucial 128GB SSD - Power: CoolerMaster 800 Watt - OS: Windows 10 64Bit

Platform
    PC
    *push
    Best regards,
    Andreas

CPU: AMD FX8 8120 - RAM: 16GB Corsair PC1333 - GFX: (2x SLI) NVidia GTX 970 EVGA Superclocked - Display: ASUS MX299Q 29" 2560x1080 - MB: Asus Sabertooth 990FX - Wheel: Fanatec Porsche GT3 RS - HDD: Crucial 128GB SSD - Power: CoolerMaster 800 Watt - OS: Windows 10 64Bit

Platform
    PC
    The traffic impact on the network is negligible even at the fastest rate, there won't be any device flooded by the UDP packets because those devices won't reply with a ICMP on the 5606 port (that is a prerogative to have a such flood having any effect at all): you're applying the theory of a UDP attack to the wrong scenario.
    Is it yours just a theory based on a wrong assumption, or do you really had issues because of it? If so, I'm curious to see the bad effects you may have noticed and we can discuss about it.
    Main: Intel X5670 @4.2Ghz on ASUS Rampage III, GTX 980Ti Hybrid, 24GB RAM CORSAIR 1600, 4TB SSD, SB X-FI Titanium, Corsair AX850W, Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 - OS: W7 Ultimate x64
    Backup: Intel i7 950 @3.6Ghz on ASUS Rampage II, 2 x GTX 780, 12GB RAM CORSAIR 1600, 2TB WD, SB X-FI MB, Corsair TX850W, Dell 3008WFP 30" 2560x1600 - OS: W7 Ultimate x64
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti, Angst1974, Bealdor, Mahjik, TheReaper GT

Platform
    PS4
    I experienced both my phone and laptop being unable to connect to my Wireless network when I had the UDP set to 1, in game, I am also experiencing some lag when playing online since I started using the feature (currently at 5).

I will turn it down to 7 (as advised by another forum user) and try again to see if it improves matters...

I am on a Virgin media connection in the UK, using the router they provide (no idea if that information is of use).

Platform
    PC
    I'm not sure how the UDP traffic could affect the capability of a device to connect via WiFi (if anything it could affect the traffic, not the connection to the router), and even if it affects the router (ie: the router software can't handle the stream), those devices aren't connected to the network at all, so the cause couldn't be them being "flooded" by some UDP traffic.
    On the other side, it will certainly affect the same PC where PCARS is running (it would be the same if you stream the traffic to a single IP), that's indeed normal and it depends by your specs, if your PC (our your router) can't handle the load, I recommend to lower the update frequency.
    Main: Intel X5670 @4.2Ghz on ASUS Rampage III, GTX 980Ti Hybrid, 24GB RAM CORSAIR 1600, 4TB SSD, SB X-FI Titanium, Corsair AX850W, Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 - OS: W7 Ultimate x64
    Backup: Intel i7 950 @3.6Ghz on ASUS Rampage II, 2 x GTX 780, 12GB RAM CORSAIR 1600, 2TB WD, SB X-FI MB, Corsair TX850W, Dell 3008WFP 30" 2560x1600 - OS: W7 Ultimate x64

Platform
    PS4
    I have no idea how this stuff works, I can only report what I have seen.

My PS4 that is running the game is hard wired to the router, so I guess the problem is with that device.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by graveltrap View Post
    My PS4 that is running the game is hard wired to the router, so I guess the problem is with that device.
    Probably the router cannot handle the speed of the data sent by the PS4, but that's another issue (related to router), it's not because of a traffic sent on the broadcast address rather than a specific IP, in other words it's not related to this thread (or the concerns of the OP).

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio Rapa View Post
    I'm not sure how the UDP traffic could affect the capability of a device to connect via WiFi (if anything it could affect the traffic, not the connection to the router), and even if it affects the router (ie: the router software can't handle the stream), those devices aren't connected to the network at all, so the cause couldn't be them being "flooded" by some UDP traffic.
    On the other side, it will certainly affect the same PC where PCARS is running (it would be the same if you stream the traffic to a single IP), that's indeed normal and it depends by your specs, if your PC (our your router) can't handle the load, I recommend to lower the update frequency.
    Can we agree that e.g. WiFi is Carrier Detect Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CDMA/CD), right? So in theory, it is possible for the PS4 to hog the carrier media if you broadcast continuously onto a WiFi network, such that other WiFi devices connected to the AP will trigger the exponential backoff algorithm in their network stacks when they try to connect and find the media occupied by the UDP packets?

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that this was an issue to people who have no clue how a WiFi network works on a technical level (and why it is essentially the worst possible form of networking equipment -- hello BNC 10base2 thin ethernet). It's completely different if you have a wired and switched network, of course!
    Last edited by ermo; 18-12-2015 at 14:04.
    CPU i7 3770K@4.2 GHz | RAM 32GB DDR3-2400 | GFX Vega 64 AC @ 3x27" 1080p | Controller G27 w/NIXIM mod | FFB INFORMATIVE Gain:100/Volume:30-35/Tone:50-60/FX:0-10 | OS Win10 Pro x64 | UTF-8 characters: ✓ ✔ ✗ ✘ ← ↑ → ↓

"We respond to well constructed criticism, good ideas which are properly described and thought through, and ideas that will benefit the whole community, not a vocal minority.

Do not repeat requests, be patient and polite, and have some confidence in our ongoing desire to improve the game for all users, which we have clearly and ably demonstrated in the past." -- Richard Steer, Slightly Mad Studios

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ermo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vittorio Rapa View Post
    Can we agree that e.g. WiFi is Carrier Detect Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CDMA/CD), right? So in theory, it is possible for the PS4 to hog the carrier media if you broadcast continuously onto a WiFi network, such that other WiFi devices connected to the AP will trigger the exponential backoff algorithm in their network stacks when they try to connect and find the media occupied by the UDP packets?

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that this was an issue to people who have no clue how a WiFi network works on a technical level (and why it is essentially the worst possible form of networking equipment -- hello BNC 10base2 thin ethernet). It's completely different if you have a wired and switched network, of course!
    It's more likely that the network traffic is hogging that router CPU (it's not uncommon, whenever it normally happens when there's some heavy traffic involved, like p2p applications and such), since he specified that his PS4 is wire connected to the router, the WiFi is not directly affected by the traffic.

Platform
    PC
    So I'm no networking expert by any means, but what you're (OP) suggesting is to go from broadcast to unicast?, i.e. from sending to all devices in the network, to just a list of devices.

This will potentially increase the traffic on the network. For each slice of telemetry data a broadcast, or multicast for that matter, will send only once for as many clients as you like to consume that on. By targeting specific devices, you are sending that slice of telemetry data to each one. No overhead if you have 1 device, but for every one you add, that's doubling/tripling the traffic on the wire. If you're lucky enough to have a switch segmenting the traffic that's not too bad, other than it's more traffic from the console. But if you're sat on a single wireless segment, as I imagine a lot of peeps will be, then it will just compound the problem.

Not to mention trying to explain to a lot of non-technical people how to get their devices IP address, put it in the pCars UI, and what happens if the DHCP address changes, etc. That would be a bad solution IMO.
    Processor: Intel i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Memory: 32GB DDR3 Videocard: MSI 980ti Motherboard Sound/Headphones: Creative SB Z + M/B Sound for SimVibe / Onkyo 5.1 Surround + Astro A50 Headphones Monitors: 3 x Asus 27" VN279H PSU: OCZ ZX1250W Keyboard+Mouse: Corsair Gaming K70 RBG / Logitech G700 Mouse Gamepad/Wheel: Fanatec CSWv2 + BMW Rim, Fanatex CSPv2, Fanatec CS Shifter SQ v1.5 OS: Win7 Ult x64 Storage: 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD
    Resolution: 5040x1080@60Hz Texture Res: High Texture Filter: 4x V-Sync: No AA: MSAA4x FXAA & SMAA: Off Reflections: Low Vehicle Detail: Ultra World Detail: High Shadow Detail: Low Motion Blur: None
    My vrHive Telemetry and Dash App (PC/PS4/XB1) - Forum Page: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nt-Server-more
    My vrHive Telemetry and Dash App (PC/PS4/XB1) - Web Site: www.vrhive.co.uk
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TR7V8Mike?feature=mhee
    My Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/mikeytt