Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: PCars Dash App

Platform
    PC
    enable the 'use full wake lock' setting in the advanced section of the Preferences screen. Most Android devices have a "feature" in their network stack which stops it receiving broadcast packets when the screen turns off, even if an application requests a CPU, Wifi and Multicast wake lock. Basically the phone ignores the app here. Google don't seem to care about this issue (it's been around for years) and the recommended "solution" is a full wake lock (keep screen on, which is what this setting does), or stop and restart the WiFi when the screen switches off, which kinda works but (depending on your phone) can take 10 or more seconds and is a piss-poor "solution" and did actually make me quite angry .

To use voice recognition you have 3 options. The standard way is to assign a controller button (use the Assign Buttons screen for this - choose whether you want to keep the button held down while you talk - I recommend having this option *un*checked to start with). The app will by default disable the annoying Google voice recogniser bloop sound, but if you're struggling to make it work try re-enabling this - again, preferences screen -> advanced (near the bottom), *un*check the "Mute default voice recognition beep" option, and *un*check the "Play listening beep". This makes the app use Google's own voice recogniser bloop which is a more accurate reflection of when the app is ready for speech input (but sounds shit). If you're not hearing this then something's not right - the app can't access voice recognition.

If you do hear the bloop sound, speak after it's played and ask something simple like "what's my position?". Do this when the game is running and you're participating in a session.

If you don't hear a bloop sound there's not a lot I can do - the app requests access to the voice recognition service and sometimes it just doesn't work. To be honest, Android is a bit like that. Flaky... You could try forcing the app to stop then starting it up again, or even rebooting your phone, or hitting it with a hammer, or writing a strongly worded letter to Google asking them to make their APIs either work all the time, or none of the time. Working some (or even most) of the time is just idiotic.

A more reliable way of getting voice recognition to work is to enable the "Show Radio button on main screen" option. When you tap this the voice recogniser should start (again, subject to how your phone is feeling at the time and whether the Google voice recognition servers decide they like you).

The 3rd way is to enable "Listen for voice near start line" (only works if there's no button assigned to Open radio channel). This listens without any user input for a few seconds when you're 200 metres from the start line - again, you should hear the beep / bloop noise telling you it's ready.

The app does *not* listen continuously. If you had a response then something must have triggered the recogniser. It requires a decent internet connection to work properly (recognition will usually be done on some server somewhere - there's a "prefer_offline" option in the API but it turns out that this isn't a "prefer" setting, it actually means "do this offline or don't do it at all", and generally *never* works). If you have a Samsung device (or presumably some others) check that the default voice recognition setting is the Google recogniser, not some silly manufacturer one like Vlingo.

Button assignments will work with wheel buttons soon - hopefully when the next game patch is released so these are in the UDP data sent by the game.
    The following user likes this Post: one1two

Superkart Pilot OpticalHercules's Avatar
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Thanks for your reply, Mr. Belowski.

First off, even counting the issues I'm having, I'm still very pleased with your product. If I can't get it to work exactly as I'd like/hope, oh well, it's still a tremendous improvement over the Stig telling me to try and swoop inside during braking on every single turn...

As far as the 'Use Full Wake Lock', mine is enabled, and so long as I keep Crew Chief as my active app I have no problems. When I try to also run PCars Dash with Crew Chief in the background is when it cut out. I've since hijacked my son's RCA Voyager Tablet and use that for the dash since it's the much bigger screen, and keep Crew Chief on my phone with line-in to my gaming headphones, which is how I usually have my electronics set up for listening to pandora while I play. This is no inconvenience.

About the voice recognition: I do hear the bloop sound when it's activated, and after a bit I did recognize the "start line" option for what it was (hear it passing pit lane start and end when passing pit lane exit). I also have the radio button on the phone's screen. The problem is no longer activating the feature, but just getting him to recognize anything at all. Maybe I'm just an idiot when it comes to using any voice features of my phone, I've only had a smart phone for about 9 months and have never, ever gotten google voice to recognize anything I say, ever. Perhaps it's my voice or my speech pattern (I have a very deep and fast speech..) or whatever, it just doesn't work for me. I've tried hitting the radio button while phone is on the desk, hitting button while speaking directly into the mic with phone near my face, passing start while wearing both wired and bluetooth earpieces with mics asking Chief simple questions "Distance to P2", "How many laps do I have left", "what's my tire status". No matter what I say, it always says "sorry mate I couldn't understand that" or " can you repeat that" or something along those lines. And I'm positive my net connection isn't the problem. At this point, I'm more inclined to think that the problem is either 1: me, or 2: my low-tier phone. I bought the Samsung Ace precisely because it was a cheap phone with a decent screen and did NOT feature a whole lot of jumble stuff that a hardcore Troglodyte like myself even wants to know exists.

There's not a whole lot more I can ask for from the crew chief that he doesn't tell me already, so I don't feel like i'm missing out on much value at all. There's a ton of options I've still yet to figure out and experiment with to see if there's any info he can give that I'm not getting already and want, or what I'm getting too much of now.

That aside, only bug (if it is a bug) I've recognized so far is Crew Chief's telling my car positions erroneously on Azure Circuit. Chief constantly telling me car on left/right/clear when there's no one anywhere near me at all. Not a big deal. I'm still plenty impressed with your work!
    Apparently I'm a Muppet Fanboy! ...whatever that means.

North American Casual Racer Association -- Come join us any night!
    http://nacrassociation.proboards.com

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Is it risky to run the dash app and the crew chief app at the same time? I have experienced two game crashes when doing that so far

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jthorn97 View Post
    Is it risky to run the dash app and the crew chief app at the same time? I have experienced two game crashes when doing that so far
    Makes no sense, the game doesn't know how many or what apps you are running. The game just feed the network with data and the apps use it... There's no direct connection. Your crashes are not related to the apps
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Dynomight Motorsports, nissan4ever, OpticalHercules

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReaper GT View Post
    Makes no sense, the game doesn't know how many or what apps you are running. The game just feed the network with data and the apps use it... There's no direct connection. Your crashes are not related to the apps
    Okay thanks for answering

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyx2005 View Post
    does pcars dash work on a kindle?

thanks
    Did anyone ever answer this? I know I have sideloaded other stuff to the Kindle before but I would like to use a Kindle that mainly lies gathering dust rather than buy a new android tablet just for this app.

When I search for it on google all I find is this comment on pCars forums and a bunch of crap for downloading the apk and the key to unlock (probably not real). I don't want any of that crap as I have already purchased from the play store from my one M8 I just want to know if I can install this on my Kindle so I have a little more screen to play with.
    My Racing Simulation System: TV, XBOX, PAD, CHAIR, SPLIFF.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Hi all, I have downloaded Crew Chief version 4 to my HP Pavillion G6 laptop running laptop, I updated sounds and names. Laptop is running windows 8.1. Xbox One is wired and laptop is wireless running off a BT hub 5.
    In the top left I click start application and it runs and I get the message of a radio check, but when driving it doesn't do anything else.
    I have set the UDP to 1, 3 or 5.
    Anyone give me any tips on what I am missing ?. How to get this working.
    Any help really appreciated.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo One 365 View Post
    Hi all, I have downloaded Crew Chief version 4 to my HP Pavillion G6 laptop running laptop, I updated sounds and names. Laptop is running windows 8.1. Xbox One is wired and laptop is wireless running off a BT hub 5.
    In the top left I click start application and it runs and I get the message of a radio check, but when driving it doesn't do anything else.
    I have set the UDP to 1, 3 or 5.
    Anyone give me any tips on what I am missing ?. How to get this working.
    Any help really appreciated.
    Have you set it to Project Cars (network data) in the top right..
    Or try disabling your firewall....
    The following user likes this Post: TheReaper GT

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Yes it was the firewall that was causing the issues, thanks for your help.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I just downloaded sim racing dash app on Samsung tablet . How does it connect to the game? Is it WiFi? Or do i need to co ect by usb? Newbie question i know