Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye tracking, potential solution for situational awareness/mirrors/etc.

Superkart Pilot

Eye tracking, potential solution for situational awareness/mirrors/etc.

When using realistic FOV it is difficult to see the mirrors, a well known problem. Some people use TrackiR/Freetrack/etc. but moving your whole head to change view can be disorientating and not the same as in a real car where you glance at mirrors just with your eyes

With support for PCars this seems like an ideal solution, cheaper that TrackiR as well

http://www.tobii.com/xperience/products/

Many other sims are supported, could this be a potential game changer for driving sims?

(am in no way connected to this product, just seems like a great idea)

Cheers Dakpilot
    i5 3570k @ 4.46ghz H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//Win10 64bit//
    The following user likes this Post: rocho

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    looks cool, but still quite pricey. 90, and with rift/vive just around the corner is it going to be worth it?
    i5 6600K | NVIDIA 1070 | RIFT | RAM: 16GB @3000mhz | W10 x64 | T300 | 27" 1080 |

Platform
    PC
    hope they'll add support for pcars and pcars2.
    devs, maybe we can help with asking them to add support?
    PC Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5|||AMD Phenom II X4 965BE@3.8GHz|||MSI GTX760oc Gaming 4GB|||Logitech DFGT
    2+2+4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3@1600MHz CL9|||Corsair RM650W 80+ Gold|||Samsung SyncMaster 226BW|||Windows 7 64bit

NB 17,3" WLED 1920x1080|||Intel i7 4700HQ@3,4GHz|||GeForce GTX850m 2GB|||750GB@7200rpm|||8GB@1600MHz DDR3|||a4tech Bloody V3m|||Windows 8.1 64bit

Platform
    PC
    The technology on this is very very cool and a lot of great things can come from it, however it has one major flaw which TrackIR doesn't; your eyes are independent from your head! What I mean by this is I can keep my head still and look around the environment in my FOV and focus on whatever I desire. With the eye tracking, it picks up the eye movement of which there is always a lot. Your eyes jump back and forth from the track infront of you, picking out braking points, apexes, other cars, other reference points, the cars dash and motec display, your mirrors, the general environment around you. Your eyes don't really ever focus on one specific point and stay perfectly still long enough for the EyeX to stop the camera from moving around unless you really focus on something, to which you're no longer then really focusing on driving the car. With TrackIR, although I have to turn my head to look around, I can focus on so much whilst keeping what I want in my peripheral vision. For example a number of times I've turned my head so I can see the side mirror and the car behind to see if they're going to try and make a move to pass, yet I can still look down the road infront of me, and my eyes can jump back and forth between the two with ease and 100% clarity. I know you can adjust the sensitivity, and I'm sure it will become a lot more natural and easy to use the more time you spend with it, but there's a point where it's going to be from no movement with a deadzone to a lot and the camera moving around.

For example in this video when he does a strafing run on the ground troops. The camera is moving around a lot because his eyes are switching back and forth between the individual men trying to acquire the targets, and ends up fighting the movement of the camera. Again it can be adjusted I'm sure, but I think TrackIR is the more practical product out of the two.

https://youtu.be/Bb2EcZMieoY?t=8m7s
    Youtube Channel:

Twitter:

Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | i7 4770K @ 3.54GHz | Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHZ RAM | EVGA GTX770 SC 4GB | 250GB Samsung SSD | 5.5TB HDD Space | XFX Pro Series 750W PSU | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    BenQ XL2420Z 24" 144Hz | Logitech Driving Force GT | Sennheiser PC360 | TrackIR 5
    The following 4 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, beetes_juice, BullWinkle, rocho

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I have Tobii tracker 4C and it can track head and eyes, I thought the same as you about eye tracking but if you could dissable it in the game and keep head tracking then you have an ideal solution, and no clunky bits of metal or plastic strapped to your head.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I have been using it in F1 2017 and really like it and considering the in-car views in the closed cars I would really like to see this game open up for the Tobii eye tracker. Any chance to work with it?

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I have this and use it on F1 2017 and it's really very good indeed. Any word if we will get support?

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    So how do you get some info on whats needed to get the ball rolling if its possible. Been talking to the guys at tobii and they want to get it going. Tried mailing SMS but no response.

Thanks for any info on this

Platform
    PC
    Yes it would be great to get this working!
    i5 6600k | MSI Z170A SLI Plus | MSI GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 500gb 850 EVO | Fractal Design Define S | Liquid cooled | W10 x64 | T300 RS GT

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by putttee View Post
    So how do you get some info on whats needed to get the ball rolling if its possible. Been talking to the guys at tobii and they want to get it going. Tried mailing SMS but no response.

Thanks for any info on this
    Can any mods suggest a way that Tobii could get in touch with SMS directly to at least explore if making this happen is feasible?
    i5 6600k | MSI Z170A SLI Plus | MSI GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 500gb 850 EVO | Fractal Design Define S | Liquid cooled | W10 x64 | T300 RS GT