Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UDP putting me in the doghouse

Platform
    PS4

UDP putting me in the doghouse

Hi,

I'm in need of technical advice, I've been using the new ish UDP to power a few apps on my PC (vrHive, crew chief) and sometime HUD dash on android tablet. I hat my in-game UDP setting at 5, all worked brilliantly and still does.....

However it turns out according to my Mrs "you're using all our internet up and I [she] can do f**k all!"
    Umm this side effect has somewhat put me in the naughty corner apparently I'm now banned to use my apps is she's not reading her book. I don't like this, however I said I shall search for a solution.

Setup. My PS4 is connected wirelessly to my sky hub (broadband provider standard equipment) like this one
    http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/gu...adband-routers
    my laptop for vrHive/crew chief is also wireless connection, finally Samsung TAB2 is also wireless.

I'm assuming my bandwidth is being stretched and simple web browsing while I'm mid session is near impossible, I tried lowering the UDP to 7 but that made no difference either. My apps run with very little no no lag at all but I need this problem solving as I'm just going to get constant ear ache.

All advice and suggestions welcomed.
    YouTube Channel
    Official Host for UK PS4 pad users Sunday Racers thread
    My setups, mostly GT3 Pcars Setup Website
    PSN: jimmy_b_84
    GT3 Pit Stop Guide Strategy Calculator (Version 2 for Open Office and Google Sheets)
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Change the UDP setting, it should have different data rates available, set it to something lower (I can't find the original thread with the numbers in it!)

ah, found it
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ght=udp+server

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - Gigabyte GM-M6880X Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - EVGA RTX2060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following user likes this Post: jimmyb_84

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    deleted
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G | Asus M4A89TD Pro USB3 | 16GB DDR3 | Windows 7 64 Bit | Fanatec CSW V2 + Porsche 918 RSR Rim + Formula Carbon Rim + CSP V2 + CSS SQ V1.5 | TrackIR 4 | 27" 1080p

I will add that having had a quick look, even on it's fastest setting (60 per second) it's not exactly OTT on the amount of traffic (under 700kbps).. and it should have no affect on your internet connection.. so I'm guessing your internal WiFi is basically crap..

i7 4770K - ASUS Z87-A - 16Gig DDR3 (2x 8G Crucial Ballistix PC3-12800) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 840 250G SSD , WD 320G Blue, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative Audigy 4 - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - Gigabyte GM-M6880X Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Home (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. i7-4790T - Asus H97-Plus - 16G DDR3 PC-12800 - EVGA RTX2060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad
    The following 2 users likes this Post: jimmyb_84, TheReaper GT

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    There have been a number of people reporting similar issues. Unfortunately, the problem appears to be with not-so-good wireless access points. For example, I'm able to run my PS4 on UDP setting 1, and my wireless network (Apple AirPort Extreme) still works fine. At the fastest possible transmission rate, PCars is sending a little under 1 mbps of traffic on your wireless network. That's avery small amount of traffic.

The first thing you can try is to update your wireless device's firmware. If that doesn't work, try turning the UDP rate down to 9 and test it out. If that works, drop the setting to 8 and test again. I know you said it doesn't work on 7, but the ramp up in transmission rate is pretty steep, so it's entirely possible that it will work at 8, but not at 7.

Other than that, there's always the option to replace your wireless device. Plenty of people use the UDP telemetry feature over wireless networks without issue. That means the problem has to be with your gear/network.

Platform
    PC
    Update you router, your router's firmware, or your missus
    The following 4 users likes this Post: balderz002, F1_Racer68, inthebagbud, Paulo Ribeiro

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_belowski View Post
    Update you router, your router's firmware, or your missus
    Missus firmware update requires hard connection, I don't think she will let that happen right now... Hahaha
    The following 6 users likes this Post: balderz002, F1_Racer68, hkraft300, Invincible, Paulo Ribeiro, Shogun613

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Al View Post
    I will add that having had a quick look, even on it's fastest setting (60 per second) it's not exactly OTT on the amount of traffic (under 700kbps).. and it should have no affect on your internet connection.. so I'm guessing your internal WiFi is basically crap..
    are there any tests in can do to get an idea of what my network can handle?

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
    There have been a number of people reporting similar issues. Unfortunately, the problem appears to be with not-so-good wireless access points. For example, I'm able to run my PS4 on UDP setting 1, and my wireless network (Apple AirPort Extreme) still works fine. At the fastest possible transmission rate, PCars is sending a little under 1 mbps of traffic on your wireless network. That's avery small amount of traffic.

The first thing you can try is to update your wireless device's firmware. If that doesn't work, try turning the UDP rate down to 9 and test it out. If that works, drop the setting to 8 and test again. I know you said it doesn't work on 7, but the ramp up in transmission rate is pretty steep, so it's entirely possible that it will work at 8, but not at 7.

Other than that, there's always the option to replace your wireless device. Plenty of people use the UDP telemetry feature over wireless networks without issue. That means the problem has to be with your gear/network.
    everything UDP works fine until the Mrs wants to use the Internet, then we hit problems either on her phone or laptop. I shall try 8,9,10 settings later as I have permission
    YouTube Channel
    Official Host for UK PS4 pad users Sunday Racers thread
    My setups, mostly GT3 Pcars Setup Website
    PSN: jimmy_b_84
    GT3 Pit Stop Guide Strategy Calculator (Version 2 for Open Office and Google Sheets)

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    OP, if you're interested in any technical details, I did an analysis in the other thread:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1196166

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Buy a really long lan cable Anyway, you could try a powerline adapter, should work wonders keeping steady ping times also, considering your wireless does not sound too stable.