Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [UDP] Replay Enhancer 0.6/0.2: Better than ever!

Platform
    PS4

Exclamation [UDP] Replay Enhancer 0.6/0.2: Better than ever!

Current Version: 0.6 (Script), 0.2 (UI)
    Release Post: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1325279

A little side project I was working on... the replays in Project CARS leave something to be desired, so with the introduction of UDP to PS4, I decided to put together a utility to combine replay video with telemetry data to give it a bit more... broadcast... feel.

It's currently a collection of scripts in Python, primarily using moviepy but a few other libraries to aid with drawing, analysis, and compositing, that takes this:

along with a recorded telemetry track and outputs this:

There's some caveats:
    • It's also not fast enough to do real-time broadcasting (for example, if you wanted to capture a stream, add the graphics, and rebroadcast). An actual programmer might be able to get it there.
    • It can only work with race telemetry; there are some very curious gaps in the replay telemetry that makes it unusable.
    • I'm pondering future modules to create; first on the "possible" list would be a ticker across the bottom that cycles (either in order or randomly) through various metrics, such as last lap times, gaps, etc.

Thanks for the UDP feed, SMS. It's amazing!
    Last edited by SenorPez; 24-02-2017 at 15:58. Reason: 0.6 Released

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Great job SenorPez!! It's great to see new things come from developers! Good luck on your project. I'm just now starting to learn programming, and started with Python, so it's great to see something written in Python.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Awesome project! Can I assume this will work for we lowly Xbox players, too? There's nothing PS4-specific about the UDP stream, right?

Platform
    PS4
    No, there's nothing PS4 specific in the code at all, it's just that Patch 7.0 finally allowed me access to the data that the PC folks have had!

Right now, I'm working on doing a little cleanup on the codebase to get it up on github (or something similar) without TOO much embarassement, so if others want to use it to create their own replays, they're more than welcome!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I'd love to see the code, thanks for sharing!

Platform
    PS4
    Sorry for the delay; my paying job has gotten in the way lately. Code is forthcoming!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Awesome!

Are you using a certain programme to add it to the video, could you edit the video with different camera angles and add it to the edited video, and can I add it to my own video editing programme ie PowerDirector?
    XB1 GT - Steel Jockey. Steam GT - STEELJOCKEY.Project CARS 2 GOLD Member
    FB AUS/NZ Combined Racing League YouTube Mrsteeljockey
    Xbox One,TX 458,GTE rim,T3PA-Bodin load cell,racing cockpit,Onkyo 7.1,Panasonic 55"
    Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5, i7-7700T, 16gb DDR4-2133, Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme, 11gb GDDR5X, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500gb, Oculus Rift CV1

Platform
    PS4
    Code for the Project CARS Replay Enhancer (PCRE, but that's taken...) is now available on Github:
    https://github.com/SenorPez/project-...eplay-enhancer

Feel free to collaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELJOCKEY View Post
    Awesome!

Are you using a certain programme to add it to the video, could you edit the video with different camera angles and add it to the edited video, and can I add it to my own video editing programme ie PowerDirector?
    The compositing is done right now using MoviePy, which actually makes it quite flexible. The usage example I documented and showed in the earlier videos was a simple example: Single video with overlays.

However, there's no reason to limit it to a single video feed. For example, if you wanted to cut together a video using an editor (or MoviePy), and then use that to place telemetry data on top, you could do that. I don't really see any reason you couldn't do a split screen with multiple replay angles composted together, a track map, etc. if you're willing to put in the time to create the video feeds.

There are really two things to understand, which both make this somewhat complex but insanely flexible:
    First, there's actually no explicit link between the telemetry data and the video feed. The configuration file (in fact, one of the parameters, "racestart") you pass the script is what synchronizes the video feed with the telemetry feed. So you can not only adjust that, but you can also "roll back" the telemetry feed with a bit of programming... so if you wanted to put together, for example, an "alternate angle" instant replay, you could do that.

Second, MoviePy has a lot of compositing options that can be programmatically implemented... for years I worked splicing videos together in Adobe Premiere, when I could have done it faster, cheaper, and easier in MoviePy. The documentation isn't spectacular, but I've found it's a VERY powerful package.

Feel free to contribute and ask questions, here or on Github. Right now my poor home server is chugging away to create the first few videos of my new career mode, in which I show I'm a terrible driver.

EDIT: The Github repository README.md includes usage instructions. Be warned, a little programmatic and troubleshooting knowledge will be helpful.
    Last edited by SenorPez; 12-01-2016 at 21:58.
    The following user likes this Post: STEELJOCKEY

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Ok, from a video editing perspective, I think the name list on the left could be a bit smaller to leave more action viewable on-screen, especially if there are 16 drivers. The script could be maybe a little bit smaller, but taking out some of the gaps and bringing the names closer together might do it. The time and lap counter on the right side are a good size, I think that could stay as is.

Once again, awesome work, this could be a very useful tool for adding info to a race edit, and give that 'TV broadcast' feel.
    XB1 GT - Steel Jockey. Steam GT - STEELJOCKEY.Project CARS 2 GOLD Member
    FB AUS/NZ Combined Racing League YouTube Mrsteeljockey
    Xbox One,TX 458,GTE rim,T3PA-Bodin load cell,racing cockpit,Onkyo 7.1,Panasonic 55"
    Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5, i7-7700T, 16gb DDR4-2133, Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme, 11gb GDDR5X, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500gb, Oculus Rift CV1

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Great work, really... will for sure follow this thread...