Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: forcing default setup online.

Platform
    PC

forcing default setup online.

i'm a noob, so i can't understand the logic behind this option.

in my mind 50% of sims is to do a good setup 50% is to learn how to drive fast. and why I have not to adapt the car to my driving style? it's part of the game, but better, it's part of Real Racing.

reading here and there, reading some rules of online league, etc i found some emphasis about the mythical "default setup".

for me is fallout 4 without wepons, Assassin's creed without parcour, a sky without stars, a woman without... ok move on :P

this is not a critique, as said i'm a noob, so i'd like only to understand
    my english is horrible, sorry! STEAM PROFILE // my DIY RIG // Baseline Wheel FFB Values
    Mainboard: Rampage IV Extreme //Cpu: i7-3930k @4200 //Psu: Corsair RM750i //Ram: 4x Corsair 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 //Vga: Asus Strix Gtx970
    Wheel: Thrustmaster T300 GTE + Fanatec Clubsport pedals V3 + TH8A (h-shifter) + TH8RS (sequential) + Fanatec Handbrake
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Awong124, hkraft300

Moderator+WMD 1/2 Member Siberian Tiger's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Mostly it has to do with time limitations, me thinks...

Many Peoples don't have enough time to fiddle hours of hours with setups...

They just like to race.

And in a default Setup Race you can judge how fast you are... (All the same Cards )
    Member Status: WMD 1 Senior x3 / WMD2 Gold
    Portable System: Dell XPS 17 Notebook CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @2.2 GHZ , RAM: 8GB, GPU: NVIDIA GForce GT555M, HDD: WD 2.5" Notebook 500GB, OS: Windows 7 64-bit,Wheel: Logitech G25, Sound: NVidia Onboard Soundcard
    Gaming System AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 / i7 7700K with Antec H2o 920 Liquid Cooling System / PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 680W / GPU: MSI Gaming GTX1070 (OC) / RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance / SSD: 250GB Samsung Basic 840 / HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black / OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Wheel: Thrustmaster T500RS - Standart GT Rim / Monitor: Epson EH-TW3200 Homecinema 16:9 Full HD Beamer / RacingSeat: Playseat with some Modifications...
    The following 4 users likes this Post: AndrexUK, gmspromo, NemethR, ONT

Platform
    PC
    To be honest in my opinion the most important thing is your driving line. So many people believe with a good setup their laptimes will increase for 5-6 seconds.

You can achieve so good times just with the right racing line. Of course a good setup can give you maybe a second or two, depends heavily on the track.

With forced default setup everybody is running stock. It's then only about your line and your driver skills. It's sometimes nice to have such races but of course adjusting your car to the track with a setup is nicer to have (:
    Founder Member of RevolutionSimRacing - RSR Website - pCars2 Thread
    Steam: t0daY - YouTube: t0daYtv
    My Pc: Intel i7 2600, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM (2x4GB), Gainward Geforce GTX 760, Kingston SSD 240GB, Windows 10
    My Rig: T300 Racing Base, 599XX EVO Wheel (Alcantara Edition), T3PA Pro Pedals (with Conical Rubber Mod) & TH8A Shifter
    The following 3 users likes this Post: AndrexUK, biggbaddwolf, NemethR

Platform
    PC
    There are various reasons why one could prefer default setups:

1) Create/Simulate a spec racing series to take the engineering element out of the competition
    2) Some people are great drivers but not so good engineers and still want to race in a close competitive environment.
    3) Some players have the opinion that a race driver should not have to manage the engineering part because that's an engineer's job.
    4) Limited time to create a competitive setup.

Personally I'm not a fan of forced default setups but I can understand why someone would prefer them.
    Different strokes for different folks I'd say.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following 6 users likes this Post: AndrexUK, gmspromo, hkraft300, ONT, poirqc, theoriginalR6kid

WMD Member
    Because it then becomes how much can you wring the neck out of a fixed setup, when all using the same car.

With some suitable tweaking to the default setups, even if just standardising lap times better by simply using the restrictor slider, SMS could give us car series where every car make/model has a reasonable chance of competing for the win.

This is currently not the case at all from my point of view in the GT3 class, the default Aston GT3 is ~2min20.0secs around Spa in Time Trial, ~0.5secs clear of the Ginetta GT3 while I'm capable of ~2min21.5secs with most of the others. Then there is the Bentley GT3, ~2mins23.1secs. Maybe Spa is not a good comparison track, but it has a good mix of fast straights and a technical middle sector, plus it is a classic race venue. Maybe Time Trial does not make the unique advantage of every car shine through, because of the fixed fuel load, perhaps the bigger picture of endurance performance equalises race times better, because a car may post slower times but use less fuel and/or less tyre life compared to faster cars.

But then you have to consider what type of sim racer is going to race forced default setups online. I suspect endurance racing >30mins will not use such an option much at all, I suspect it will be used for races <30mins much more often. So equalisation based on a moderate sized race distance might be better for the audience likely to make use of such an option.
    Last edited by N0body Of The Goat; 08-01-2016 at 11:39.
    i7 5820k @ stock (for now) | Gigabye X99 Gaming 5P | 16GB DDR4 3000MHz @2133 (for now) | Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | Fanatec GT3 RS v1 & Clubsport Pedals | Windows 10 home| Samsung 512GB NMVe | 512GB MX100 SSD | BenQ XL2730Z
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamsKnight View Post
    i'm a noob, so i can't understand the logic behind this option.

in my mind 50% of sims is to do a good setup 50% is to learn how to drive fast. and why I have not to adapt the car to my driving style? it's part of the game, but better, it's part of Real Racing.

reading here and there, reading some rules of online league, etc i found some emphasis about the mythical "default setup".

for me is fallout 4 without wepons, Assassin's creed without parcour, a sky without stars, a woman without... ok move on :P

this is not a critique, as said i'm a noob, so i'd like only to understand
    For a change.
    You are right, in a sim you drive and you set up your cars.
    But once in a while, why not just race with the exact same car and setup ?

(+ It would be a nice idea to extend this option to some hotlap events)

Platform
    PC
    It definitely levels the playing field, and makes it more about driving skill. The only problem I see with it, is it doesn't take the global settings into account. Depending on your global configuration, the default Master Scale setting of 26 might be way too low. With no way to adjust it, some people find themselves racing with a feather light wheel. I think the Master Scale setting should remain accessible.
    PC: MSI Z170A, M7 | i7-6700K 4.4 GHz (OC) | 32GB DDR4-3200 | GTX 1080, 8GB | Corsair H115i Liquid Cooler
    Rig: Accuforce V2, Fanatec CSP-v3, CSS SQ, Formula Black, Porsche 918 RSR, GT U-Hub Combo | Oculus CV1 | SimLab GT1 | BK Gamer2

Steam ID: Haiden773
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BigDad, SIR_Driftalot

What happens with the forcefeed back settings what settings are being forced on people, you can't change them either when forced setup is in use.
    System: i5 750 @ 3.4GHz (currently stock 2.66GHz), 16GB RAM, (GTX680 GPU RIP) ,GTX 1060, Gigabyte GA/P55-UD5 Logitech G25 wheel (Falling apart),win7 64/ Win XP 32 SP3, all drivers upto date.
    The following user likes this Post: BigDad

Platform
    PC
    I also struggle with the default setup, it ruins the Force feedback, I choose not to join a game with default setup, which is a pain with the MP lobbys getting less and less, I dont tune any car, I dont have time and am uninterested, default with FFB twaeks included I would happily join

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by F2kSel View Post
    What happens with the forcefeed back settings what settings are being forced on people, you can't change them either when forced setup is in use.
    IIRC forced default setup still uses your custom car specific FFB settings.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1