Thread: Would it be possible to enable head tracking on PS4?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Would it be possible to enable head tracking on PS4?

Okay, so this has come about after a somewhat silly suggestion (by me) to map the Look function in the game to a second six-axis controller, then fit it to a cap or helmet. Why? So when you are driving using a steering wheel, you could look around you by turning your head.

So I did some searching and it turns out that the PlayStation 4 camera is already able to do this without the need for any head gear. War Thunder, a flying game on ps4 utilises this feature. You can turn your head, the ps4 camera tracks your movement and in turn the look function is engaged.

Here is an example on you tube

So... To the question... Would this be a useful feature in game for anyone else? And can this be included in the game?

For me, I think it would add a great dimension to the game, the only reason I don't use the helmet cam in-game is because the head tilts when I don't want it to. If it responded to my own natural head movement, that would be awesome.

Your thoughts?

Edit: I just found this thread in the general discussion section... Thread
    Last edited by GamerSX; 15-01-2016 at 00:44.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BigDad, TrueNOS2

Platform
    PC
    Would be a great addition , i thought of this yonks ago .
    As my Daughter would say,
    Pretty please with a piece of cheese .
    The following user likes this Post: GamerSX

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Sounds like something similar to Track-IR for flight simulators..I would think it could be done...

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSX View Post
    Okay, so this has come about after a somewhat silly suggestion (by me) to map the Look function in the game to a second six-axis controller, then fit it to a cap or helmet. Why? So when you are driving using a steering wheel, you could look around you by turning your head.

So I did some searching and it turns out that the PlayStation 4 camera is already able to do this without the need for any head gear. War Thunder, a flying game on ps4 utilises this feature. You can turn your head, the ps4 camera tracks your movement and in turn the look function is engaged.

Here is an example on you tube

So... To the question... Would this be a useful feature in game for anyone else? And can this be included in the game?

For me, I think it would add a great dimension to the game, the only reason I don't use the helmet cam in-game is because the head tilts when I don't want it to. If it responded to my own natural head movement, that would be awesome.

Your thoughts?

Edit: I just found this thread in the general discussion section... Thread
    GT5 had this with the Sony Camera. So I'm sure it's possible on the PS4, specially since when Sony VR comes out it will be supported for pCars.

on a side Note I use the Helmet Cam all the time, and there are Visual settings to turn of the tilting.
    [PS4 Pro user] [Fanatec CSLE-PS4] [ClubSport V3 Pedals] [TH8A Shifter with Ricmotech Short Throw Plate] [Collectiveminds Drive Hub]
    PC - Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop Windows XPsp3 - Can't run pCars on it.
    DoNoHarm.us

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    I'd pick up a camera if this was implemented. It would be nice alternative to VR.

Platform
    PC
    I've got the camera , the head mount , two move controllers and a spare DS4 all waiting for this , i'll wear them all if it makes it work .
    You'll make alot of people happy if you implement this feature .
    As people have stated that pc users have track IR , so it can work in game probably not great hence the Oculus VR headset selling like mad .
    So if this was implemented on ps4 i dont think it would have an impact on PlayStation VR sales .
    The following 2 users likes this Post: GamerSX, TrueNOS2

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Now that we've got the second screen app done for PS4 maybe this could be the next focus. It would really be nice. Either implementation would suffice, TrackIR or Sony's cam. C'mon SMS let's do it.
    All "old-school" stuff.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BigDad, ixma31

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    +1000000

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain NL View Post
    +1000000
    X2!

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I have been (for a couple days now) looking for a way to get this done. I've seen the hokie ways with this taped to your hat/head ect and I'm a simple guy that wants to just buy something and have it work out of the box. Sorry if I sound stuck up, I'm really not I just don't have the patience or smarts to do a lot of the thinks ppl do being by almost 50 I'm a little out of touch on tech. How about support for the head tracking products out there if poss? I'll buy whatever at this point