Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget, simple, explanatory - Driving simulator in real car shell.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Budget, simple, explanatory - Driving simulator in real car shell.

Sorry for repost, but It will be easier to update on status.

Project Cars has extensive inputs to replicate real car functions. I'm working on racing simulation in car body shell in which I will try to use those functions to the max

First version plan is to make interior electronics and functional buttons - working instrument panel, hazard/turn lights, long lights, traction control, seat belt, handbrake, key mechanism and few others.
    Also complete steering wheel with BMW one and adapt interface "sticks" and connect audio speakers of a car to make nice sound system.
    There is much work left to do, but I'm trying to do it as much as I can.
    Second stage will include simple, budget bearing system to mimic some motions. It is easy to work with car shell, because you can use real car parts
    Third stage might be most expensive or equally pricey as second tho, but it is necessary to make 3 way projector screen. The feel of 180degrees angle view and 3d objects whom you can collide into is great and adds much to a project. Easy to do as-well, just pricy.
    There are few simple unseen ways to push it even further, which I sure try to do, but I leave it to the future

Demo -

-
    V1

Video of test runs, some photos
    Last edited by sim2go; 15-01-2016 at 16:09.
    The following 10 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, BullWinkle, cluck, Fanapryde, Mad LL, Mascot, MysterG, Photonenbert, Raymond de Vries, STEELJOCKEY

Platform
    PC
    Something you may be interested in: Porsche 911 Full Cockpit.

Pics on page 1 and 4.
    Project CARS 2 Driver Eye Youtube Playlist
    Current Rig: Monitor: Sharp 42" LED | VR: Oculus Rift CV1 | CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz | GPU:STRIX 1080TI OC | MB: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING | Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + WD BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3200MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: EVGA 850W G2 80+GOLD
    Hardware: Wheel: FAN PC HUB | Pedals: FAN V2 | Rim: FAN GT US
    The following user likes this Post: AbeWoz

Platform
    PC
    Looks like a fun project, go for it
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: BullWinkle

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Nice find. I seen some more constructions for driving schools in which interior panel functions is replicated. It saves space, because not everybody can fit car in their place. I thought trough how it can be cut to be tidier, but I want experiment with full car body. I might cut it, bring into the house in summer and make construction with pivot point

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    More goods from symprojects.com

Was really impressed with variety of functions (could not see them w/o connecting controller, tho I think they should do give more tutorials, show more information about their products)

The following user likes this Post: Photonenbert

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    You can few ways of doing this on youtube. It was 10 minute job to get them working with relay module and its controller while most of the time spent on wiring

Last edited by sim2go; 04-02-2016 at 14:18.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, Photonenbert

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Little house to keep things in place. I did not have tools to do it quality, but hey, its something

The following 2 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, Photonenbert

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Some sketch about whats up in my mind. Main bearing is one of the cheapest ways to go, because its common and does not cost a lot. After soldering right frame and finding pivot we'll think about how to distribute weight right.

Platform
    PC
    What are you planning to do about the game image? will you use TVs or a projector system? This is looking like a monumental project, impressive work there old boy.
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: BullWinkle

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks man! appreciate it much
    About video - for now its a simple three monitors as you can see.
    After doing motion system I'll go for 3 (or 2, its possible to get at least 160 degrees view) projectors. I already spoke with printing company for providing proper size sheet to make screen to project on. I wonder how do you see 3d object with 180 angle view, moreover - feel when you colide into one 3d object.
    At that stage it wont stand out very much, because everything was done already (in parts).
    I have some interior/exterior light illumination ideas which will be unique i guess (while other cockpits made out of ca lack of light replication inside/outside of the car). Imagine going trough a tunnel with yellow lights and seeing its refelctions on.in car
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BullWinkle, John Hargreaves