Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help at Sonoma Raceway GP with Oreca

Hybrid View

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Help at Sonoma Raceway GP with Oreca

Hi (console - PS4)

I keep spinning off at three different points in the circuit Sonoma Raceway GP, the points are highlighted in the image attached below. I need some help because I think I did everything I could. So far as I know I have maxed out the understeer effects on the car but I still spin. I lose the rear almost every time, it's like there is no grip at all, either from the track or the car. I have set the rear to minimum height, front to max; springs max stiff at the front, max soft at the rear; minimum wings at the front, max at the rear; dampers all set to create understeer and reduce oversteer; 20 bar less pressure at the rear... working on the differentials too... I don't know what else to do.

PS: something strange is happening, in practice session, after some laps all AI cars go to the box and stay there, I find myself alone in the track.

Attachment 225349

Platform
    PC
    Attachment not working.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre Bardet View Post
    Hi (console - PS4)

I keep spinning off at three different points in the circuit Sonoma Raceway GP, the points are highlighted in the image attached below.
    Your attachment is broken...

I need some help because I think I did everything I could. So far as I know I have maxed out the understeer effects on the car but I still spin.
    You don't want a car that's "Maxed out understeer" at Sonoma, you need a car that reacts quickly and pointedly.

I lose the rear almost every time, it's like there is no grip at all, either from the track or the car.
    The track is very slick, yes.

I have set the rear to minimum height, front to max; springs max stiff at the front, max soft at the rear; minimum wings at the front, max at the rear; dampers all set to create understeer and reduce oversteer; 20 bar less pressure at the rear... working on the differentials too... I don't know what else to do.
    Oh my goodness you need major medical setup assistence woo-woo siren noises :|

First, raise the car. 68-70mm if you can. Soften the front, give it as much downforce as you can stand. Never min at Sonoma. NEVER.
    Front dampers at a reasonable stiffness so the car turns as you want it to, but not so stiff you're borking your softer suspension and bouncing too much. You will slam the floor into the middle T3, VERY hard almost every time. There's a risky preferred line there where you can essentially take the corner flat in 4th if you have your ratios set up well and pull the car tight over the 3b kerb without losing it. But its not an easy line to get consistent and requires maximum commitment in the LMP2-LMP1 cars.

PS: something strange is happening, in practice session, after some laps all AI cars go to the box and stay there, I find myself alone in the track.

Attachment 225349
    I think this happens to stop the AI from attritioning too hard in practice. The AI retires here more than anywhere else, especially in Proto series and Endurance series. This track is absolutely brutal for people who can't tame it.

It will break you.

Maybe if I have time later I'll work on a setup, while I'm on PC I'm using a DS3 controller atm and should be able to help somewhat.

Mods maybe move this to setup section.
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

Gaming System ASUS FX502VM Gaming Laptop
    7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    1TB WD Passport Backup HDD
    Wheels: Fanatec GT3 RS V2 (RIP) Logitech Driving Force GT (RIP)
    Thrustmaster T150 Ferrari Edition
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

SteamID:Shin321

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzah View Post
    I think this happens to stop the AI from attritioning too hard in practice.
    Sometimes they just run out of gas.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    Sometimes they just run out of gas.
    Ever since like patch 4, the AI's been coming in and out of the pits regularly. They can be dumb sometimes, but to not reset fuel during that is a little beyond my comprehension.

They usually start parking up around 30-45min into the sessions, which would make sense for fuel load but it also doesn't happen at many other tracks. At least not in my endurance series in the P20.

I have seen them totally stuff it at T1, T3, the carousel and the esses though. Just epic AI monster crashes. I had one entire field of LMP1s get stripped of bodywork at T1 during one race there.

One pinched the other directly into the wall on the green and they all pinballed to the barrier across a good few yards of sand near the bridge.

It's funny when they can't spin all the way around for whatever reason.

Edit: though they need to hit things VERY hard to RET. One Audi with no pieces left on it lapped me a berjillion times and went on to win, eventually.
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    ok guys try this link for the picture showing my spin zones.

http://prntscr.com/9qlff7

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre Bardet View Post
    ok guys try this link for the picture showing my spin zones.

http://prntscr.com/9qlff7
    I already know the problem at the first and second zones. Your car is probably too low and you're taking either bad lines or it's not responding because of the state you put it in.

Losing it at the middle of the carousel is weird though. Either you have that much insane amounts of push, or I just don't know. There's a bump just near the start of it that catches me out with too-stiff setups but that's up near the start of the corner.

3a and 3b are the hardest section of track and you've made it about six million times worse with your setup. You should not be having that much problems in T2 though unless you're highsiding the car off the curbing or just plain missing the corner entry. Which is pretty common at this track until you built up some memorization and markers.

Edit: I'll ballpark something really fast and try to get a youtube video up.
    Last edited by Shinzah; 15-01-2016 at 21:34.

7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

Platform
    PC
    So you're spinning out on these corner exits? First thing I would do is go back to a more normal setup along the lines of what Shin suggested. Then if you're spinning out under power, learn to apply power smoothly and gradually. Perhaps also reduce the accel lock on the differential.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnizz58 View Post
    So you're spinning out on these corner exits? First thing I would do is go back to a more normal setup along the lines of what Shin suggested. Then if you're spinning out under power, learn to apply power smoothly and gradually. Perhaps also reduce the accel lock on the differential.
    No. Increase the ACC lock, maybe even the preload.

Reducing it will exacerbate the problem.

I've ballparked the car and managed to bed it in to low 1'28's on full fuel/race setup but I'm too tired/busy to string good demonstration laps together. Also I think I can tune the rideheights, aero and rear suspension a little better to get a tighter feeling through S3.

Man this car absolutely hates everything about this track. It's not like the P20 at all. I can totally see why the AI Orecas were helpless in the american endurance series. Shamefrul dispray.

I think I can get it to a state where it's raceable but it's never going to touch my P20 setup. *low whistle*

More work than I thought with this car. The P20 takes really well to my driving style, but the Oreca doesn't and also doesn't like the track. :\

Well, maybe tomorrow I'll get it down to 1'26 ballpark-ish consistently on full fuel. That'd be nice. Maybe a bit impossible. I know it can go faster. I don't know how much....

Anyway, T2 and T3A-B are no problem, but the bump before the carousel is deadly on outlap which I pretty much expected and because the car can only max 70mm rear and 60 something front, there's no way to make it stop scraping the splitter unless going with a stiffer setup that totally compromises S1 but blasts through S3...

Oh, I'm ranting. Sorry.

I'll be back ^^;

7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzah View Post
    I've ballparked the car and managed to bed it in to low 1'28's on full fuel/race setup but I'm too tired/busy to string good demonstration laps together. Also I think I can tune the rideheights, aero and rear suspension a little better to get a tighter feeling through S3.

Man this car absolutely hates everything about this track. It's not like the P20 at all. I can totally see why the AI Orecas were helpless in the american endurance series. Shamefrul dispray.
    Just lapped your setup from the next page down to 1:29.084 after about 6 laps, but man do I hate this car on this track. My consistency is absolutely in the gutter.

Good luck OP!

EDIT: My fav car on this track is the Vantage V8 GTE. It's not the fastest, but I love the way the Vantage GTE breaks loose. It's so damn predictable.
    Last edited by bradleyland; 16-01-2016 at 16:13.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3