Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help at Sonoma Raceway GP with Oreca

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre Bardet View Post
    Before this race I did a 3 hour endurance at Watkins Glen GP vs AI at 100% difficulty and won. Qualifying was a pain to get pole in my class but race was easier because the AI lost more time than me to pass the slower GT cars. Anyway, when I got to Sonoma Raceway, I started it with the same setup but I was spinning off everywhere. After trying to adjust the setup again and again I just started to go crazy and try unthinkable stuff. I got fixated on the idea that adding tons of understeer would solve it but nope.
    WGI is a much more lenient track compared to Sonoma, the surface has grip for days and its not as demanding.

I got back now to the setup I used at Watkins Glen, but made some changes based on some of suggestions here (thank you). The car seems better now... Maybe the car was never "worse", I guess it was me who had no clue how to drive it on this specific track. But too be completely fair and honest I'm still trying to know how to make the car as stable as possible, because even though part of the problem of losing the car at said points of the track was caused by my own driving, either by not knowing the track or not respecting it or the car, I can't every time make the correct trajectory line and not go a bit wide having to turn harder but end up losing my rear at the exit of turn 2 or turn 3b or not get a wheel on a kurb which will affect the grip on that corner of the car and cause me to spin, I just want the car to allow me a larger margin for error, because right now, it's either do it perfectly or go home. AI at 100% is doing 1.26. I managed a 1.25 but I can't keep that pace for 3 hours without mistakes, that lap time was a 1 time thing so far.
    Sonoma is a setup nightmare ^^; The track can be driven to the limits, but it takes a lot to get a car and driver to take advantage of its limits. It's hard to get a good setup mostly because the three sectors are wildly different and require adapting to them individually. You need a car that turns in the first sector, one that can take braking well in the second and end of the third sectors and in the carousel and the third sector, one that has gobs of grip that can handle lazy corners at speed. I usually start with the esses instead since the most time you make up is going fast through the fastest parts, which is the front straight and the esses. (not counting the two other long straights as you don't need handling there so much)

This is my current setup:

Tyres:1.90 bar (both front and rear)
    On softs? Try 1.60 as a minimum and 1.75 as roughly maximum. Keep the rears slightly lower than the fronts, don't worry they'll come up on their own during the outlap and equalize. If you run same front/rear at sonoma where you're accelerating off quite a bit, you'll get uneven temps and wear to the rears.

Brake pressure: 100%
    Good.
    Brake bias: 60%
    You want this around 55% front to 51-50% front. It'll free the car up a little more for trailbraking.
    Brake Duct: 0% (brakes stay light green and blueish, can't get them to heat)
    You might can get by with this, but I usually use no less than 30% in a race setup. Also try to brake harder and straighter into turns. You should be hitting 400-500c. You don't want them to go too far over that as they'll start to bake in over time.
    Downforce: max front and rear
    I got down to 6F 4R
    Weight bias: center (wonder if I should move it to the rear)
    Front if anything, best to keep it neutral.
    Height: maxed front and rear (65mm-70mm)
    just about required. But I did manage to get it to 60-60 with some acceptable scraping. Worst is the bump before the carousel and the landing at the exit of it where it'll plow the splitter quite a bit. Floor will drag in T3A-B no matter what you do if you stay in the groove.
    Springs: 160 front, 100 rear
    I'm at 150/120
    Sway bars: 600 front, 20 rear
    I think I'm at 450ish and 35
    Bump stops: 20 front, 25 rear (I can never have a good idea how to set these)
    10mm front, 12mm rear
    Slow bumps: 13100 front, 9500 rear
    Fast bumps: 4500 front, 3000 rear
    Slow Rebounds: 15100 front, 11500 rear
    Fast Rebounds: 5500 front, 4000 rear
    All of this is pretty close to within a couple of variables
    Acell Diff: 20%
    Up it to 45-50. Maybe more if you don't use TCS or use TCS at max slip.
    Decell Diff: 20%
    5%
    Pre-load Diff: 160
    Viscous Lock: 50%
    Don't need to adjust
    Radiator: 100%
    20% Q+ Low fuel, 45 or above race.
    Final Gear: 2 lvls shorter than default (3.79)
    Down to min final drive. 6th to max top end.
    Brake Mapping: 5 (I wonder if I should mess with this)
    0 or 1 with ABS, 2-3 without ABS brake straight and then use the brake to help your turning. You can pound the brakes VERY deep at some corners. Much deeper than you'll probably believe. You can probably get down into the low WR's (at least on PC, currently 1'24's) on your own with a little practice. At least in Q-Trim.
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

Gaming System ASUS FX502VM Gaming Laptop
    7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    1TB WD Passport Backup HDD
    Wheels: Fanatec GT3 RS V2 (RIP) Logitech Driving Force GT (RIP)
    Thrustmaster T150 Ferrari Edition
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

SteamID:Shin321
    The following user likes this Post: bradleyland

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Sorry I forgot about TC, type of tyres and if I'm using assists or not. I edited the settings list.

I will try your suggestions and report back when I do.

Anymore advice from anyone is still welcome, thanks in advance.

Platform
    PS4
    Trust me, you do not want to run low ride height at Sonoma. Was watching a Porsche GT3 race after the NASCAR Sprint Cup race, and you can definitely tell one of the cars had too low of a ride height (Or a bad setup) as you can hear in going up into turn 2

4:05
    BLACKNRED81 on YOUTUBE
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVu...mHCHM1tv5ZmGmQ
    Home of the Video Game Crash Comp Series

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknred81 View Post
    Trust me, you do not want to run low ride height at Sonoma. Was watching a Porsche GT3 race after the NASCAR Sprint Cup race, and you can definitely tell one of the cars had too low of a ride height (Or a bad setup) as you can hear in going up into turn 2

4:05
    In some cars, but in some GT/Prototypes the wheelbase is just too long and it's not really the rideheight that's the problem, it's just contributing to making it worse.

Indycar runs borderline dangerously low setups at Sonoma. So low that they hit the floor at the bridge hard enough to be both seen and heard in daylight.
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzah View Post
    I've ballparked the car and managed to bed it in to low 1'28's on full fuel/race setup but I'm too tired/busy to string good demonstration laps together. Also I think I can tune the rideheights, aero and rear suspension a little better to get a tighter feeling through S3.

Man this car absolutely hates everything about this track. It's not like the P20 at all. I can totally see why the AI Orecas were helpless in the american endurance series. Shamefrul dispray.
    Just lapped your setup from the next page down to 1:29.084 after about 6 laps, but man do I hate this car on this track. My consistency is absolutely in the gutter.

Good luck OP!

EDIT: My fav car on this track is the Vantage V8 GTE. It's not the fastest, but I love the way the Vantage GTE breaks loose. It's so damn predictable.
    Last edited by bradleyland; 16-01-2016 at 16:13.
    COMPETITIVE RACING LICENSE Infographic | FFB INFO | SAFE IS FAST
    PS4 | FANATEC CSL Elite | FANATEC ClubSport Pedals v3

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    To Shinzah: some of the settings you suggested for the setup didn't work for me but others did. I'm using them in my latest setup.

To everyone who cares: Yesterday AI was doing in first practice session 1.26 and 1.27. Today they did 1.25 and 1.26, but I to managed to improve as well thanks to the setups help from you guys.
    My best lap so far was 1.25.061 in second practice session, I could have done 1.24 but I fucked up at the end. Qualifying was 1.25.600, that got me 1st place in my class. Now I need to find courage to do the race. I can't imagine keeping consistent times and not making mistakes for 3 hours. Probably I won't win the race if I start losing focus, but I'm not dialing down the AI difficulty. For me it's either 100% or nothing.
    The following user likes this Post: Shinzah

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Guys there is something happening in the race I didn't notice in the practice or qualifying session. The AI has a SO MUCH more acceleration power than me. It's like they have 100 bhp more or were using KERS. At the finish straight and some other points they destroy me. I have super short gear box and even tried lowering the downforce from 10/10 to 5/5, fuel from 75 to 60, radiator almost closed, it's ridiculous. I have no idea how I got fastest lap in qualifying... this makes no sense. How is the AI reaching high speeds so much faster than me?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre Bardet View Post
    Guys there is something happening in the race I didn't notice in the practice or qualifying session. The AI has a SO MUCH more acceleration power than me. It's like they have 100 bhp more or were using KERS. At the finish straight and some other points they destroy me. I have super short gear box and even tried lowering the downforce from 10/10 to 5/5, fuel from 75 to 60, radiator almost closed, it's ridiculous. I have no idea how I got fastest lap in qualifying... this makes no sense. How is the AI reaching high speeds so much faster than me?
    Orecas or P20s?

The P20s will decimate the Oreca no matter what you do here. My race setup was something like 1'22s all day long with a potential in the 1'19's. In endurance series I was pretty much racing against the P1's @100%.

7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    it's both the orecas and the P20s, they are all faster than me at acceleration. And curiously enough, the orecas are at the front.

I can't understand the acceleration difference. Could it be the "simplified physics" that is allowing them tons of grip?

Platform
    PS4
    Possibly.
    Its a 3 hour race you could use pit strategy to your advantage besides outright pace.
    At an LMP3 race there I managed to last my tyres with plenty of meat to the end but the ai had to box. They were all faster than me but I took the win.
    Hare and turtle, friends
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10