Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help at Sonoma Raceway GP with Oreca

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Possibly.
    Its a 3 hour race you could use pit strategy to your advantage besides outright pace.
    At an LMP3 race there I managed to last my tyres with plenty of meat to the end but the ai had to box. They were all faster than me but I took the win.
    Hare and turtle, friends
    Slow is fast

Platform
    PS4
    I've had ride height at 50/60 (f/r) with 120 springs f/r didn't scrape too bad bar the usual spots and certainly not enough to rock the car. 10/8 aero. Dampers all equal f/r. Its a peach on this track but the track itself needs perfect line execution lap after lap for consistent times.

Quote Originally Posted by havocc View Post
    Slow is fast
    Get it right
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    This track (sonoma raceway) is a "kill machine". Before the race was halfway more than 10 cars had already retired. The race ended with no LMP1s and no LMP2s, I was the only LMP2 left and there were only like 8 more GT cars on the track. I'm not sure what happens, they either crash hard or run out of gas... I saw the last LMP1 lap me again 1h35mins into the race and suddenly stop and disappear (teleported to the pits). Holy crap the AI has some real issues on this track, guess none of it will or can be fixed in Pcars1 right? too bad...

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Just posting this to kinda conclude/close this thread.

I find out that even after all the adjustments I could do on suspension, dampers, downforce and differentials, what would ultimately solve the car promptness to spin off at certain turns was to change the front tyres from soft-slick to medium-slicks. This changed the balance of the car like I never thought it would.
    It seems that soft-slick tyres at the front create an "anchoring effect". The car grips so much at that end, when turning in relatively slow corners that the rear will just slide and the car will spin. Having less grip at the front due to the medium tyres simply balanced the car and made it very stable and safe to drive. Avoiding spinning off or stopping an initial oversteer becomes easy.
    However, it is also possible to have the same balanced effect with soft-slick tyres at both ends of the car if grip at the front is decreased with wing values. From my tests, downforce ratio as to be like 5/10, the less difference between front and rear wings the more you will start to feel the "anchoring effect" at the front that can spin the car.

Cheers

Platform
    PS4
    ^ under steer
    If it makes the car safe and consistent for you to drive: that's great. Ultimately its what gets you through the race quickest, not just outright laptimes.

I prefer a sharper front end. The rear can mostly be tamed with good brake and throttle timing.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    ^ under steer
    If it makes the car safe and consistent for you to drive: that's great. Ultimately its what gets you through the race quickest, not just outright laptimes.

I prefer a sharper front end. The rear can mostly be tamed with good brake and throttle timing.
    Do you guys change setup (other than fuel, radiator and brake duct) from qualify to race?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    I qualify with 20L of fuel. Everything else stays the same for me.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by havocc View Post
    Do you guys change setup (other than fuel, radiator and brake duct) from qualify to race?
    Na I keep everything race-spec. I don't think I'd run a separate qualify setup until/unless pcars2 brings in multiple setups. Even then I wouldn't play with it too much. When I get a setup pinned, I'm consistent and fast in it. If I try to find significant changes to get faster, I generally end up slower by struggling to put in a clean lap.
    If I make adjustments that are bringing me noticeable gains, chances are I'll use the same setup for the race itself.
    The way I see it: if your car is easy to drive fast, you'll drive it fast
    That said, for qualifying can definitely run smaller ducts, aggressive camber maybe a few other things but how much that would gain is debatable.
    Maybe I just lack the skill.
    Curious question though and possibly worthy of a experimentation.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10