Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed before I buy a TH8A TOMORROW ! Please let me know if its worth it?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Advice needed before I buy a TH8A TOMORROW ! Please let me know if its worth it?

Hey guys

I plan on buying a TH8A clutch for my T500RS setup that includes the pro peddles with clutch.

- can I play using ANY car with the H shifter gate and shift into any gear / neutral at any time?
    - are there any issues with compatibility? I dont want to have to change from sequential to H gates depending on the car I want to drive. I either want to do ALL sequential or ALL H gate without any issues using a manual clutch and no constraints on shifting such as going from 5 to 3 etc etc etc.

please let me know what I should be aware of so I dont buy a very heavy $200 paper weight.

Platform
    PS4
    I can highly recommend it!

It's a great shifter, very solid. Gear changes in H pattern feel really good, works perfectly with the clutch. I have used it a lot in both H pattern and as a sequential shifter. (changing it over only takes a few minutes - but of course can be annoying). I have a tendency to use it as a H pattern when I'm in old school mode driving the older cars, but change it to sequential when driving modern cars. I go through phases of driving different era cars.

It works great both ways. I generally try to stay true to what the real vehicle shifter would be, whether that is paddle shift, sequential box or H pattern.

From my experience with it though, you can drive all cars as H pattern or all as sequential depending on what you prefer and if you want to leave it one particular setup all the time.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the shifter if you get one, I think you will!
    | Sony PS4 Pro | Sony 60" Bravia | Thrustmaster T500RS + Leather 28 GT Rim / Ferrari F1 rim + TH8A Shifter | Playseat Evolution | Dual Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Astro A40 Gen 2 Headset | Ignition Controls Button Box | PCars Dash, SimDash & Crew Chief | Hahn Super Dry 3.5 |

Cockpit View with no HUD is how I roll | Clean Racing Only |

Platform
    PS4
    can you change what gear goes where? like if you're driving a bmw can reverse be where 1st gear is for most cars?
    Last edited by JessicaWalter; 21-01-2016 at 00:36.

Platform
    PS4
    That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure if that is possible unless there is something in the PCars config menus to do it, I've never actually tried to map the shifter gates to different gears, but I'll check it out when I am on later tonight.
    | Sony PS4 Pro | Sony 60" Bravia | Thrustmaster T500RS + Leather 28 GT Rim / Ferrari F1 rim + TH8A Shifter | Playseat Evolution | Dual Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Astro A40 Gen 2 Headset | Ignition Controls Button Box | PCars Dash, SimDash & Crew Chief | Hahn Super Dry 3.5 |

The following user likes this Post: JessicaWalter

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Wait, so you can 100% confirm that in H pattern ALL cars work without issue? Meaning i can go into nutural without glitching?

I can shif from 6 to 1 and it recognizes that? No need to go from 6 -5-4-3-2-1 ?

I saw numerous threads of this posing problems? All has been fixed?

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by 0racle View Post
    Wait, so you can 100% confirm that in H pattern ALL cars work without issue? Meaning i can go into nutural without glitching?

I can shif from 6 to 1 and it recognizes that? No need to go from 6 -5-4-3-2-1 ?

Yes, you can definitely skip gears, not sure how you'll go going from 6th to 1st, that could end in disaster, hehe.

I think the key thing is, that as long as your revs and speed ars acceptable you can downshift and skip gears as you go. I have definitely done that. Quite often I'll brake, slow down and go from 5th down to 2nd into a corner with no issues.

The one thing I do find though is that using the H pattern is definitely slower for my lap times than if I use the paddle shifters. So if I'm racing online, paddle shifters is the only way to go.
    Last edited by Warren1571; 21-01-2016 at 02:23.

Platform
    PS4
    I just sold mine because I was too slow changing gears on mp online races...

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    The shifter works brilliantly in H pattern with the game and overall the experience is much more immersive.

Hope you are getting a deal price on the shifter not paying full retail?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaWalter View Post
    can you change what gear goes where? like if you're driving a bmw can reverse be where 1st gear is for most cars?
    Hi Jessica

That is a very good question... To create a dog leg box like with old BMW's etc.

This review https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmaste...hifter-review/ says you can using the shifters built in firmware if you hook it up to the PC.

I have had mine since last May and haven't investigated tinkering with it... I now feel suitably ashamed!...lol
    Last edited by Robhd; 21-01-2016 at 06:53. Reason: Spellink error
    The following user likes this Post: JessicaWalter

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by 0racle View Post

I think if the car you're driving has a sequential shift (and you're using the H-shifter)you can skip gears, the car will just go through them on it's own. If you move the shifter into neutral though I think it will just stay in the gear you're in. I have the Logitech shifter but the action is the same, maybe someone else can confirm.

If you're driving an H pattern car you can block change as in real life.
    Last edited by cmch15; 21-01-2016 at 07:16. Reason: correcting confusing information