Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Temp Question (and brake temp question)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Tyre Temp Question (and brake temp question)

This likely applies to all sims :

Is there a 'zone' for temps?

E.g. : For GT3 you want to aim for xyz, but for F1 you want to aim for ABC?

Or is it dependent as well on the track?

How do I know if tyres are too hot or cold?

Also....the same question for brakes?

WMD Member
    Different tyre compounds have different optimum temperatures, as do different brakes.

For example, GT3 soft slicks used to work at their best at ~90C, their brakes at ~550C. For the Formula A, soft slicks worked well at ~100C, their brakes at ~750C.

But with recent changes to the tyres especially, I don't know if that holds true any more.

What I can tell you is that the tyre HUD colour guide is completely useless right now, because it has not been calibrated with all the changes to tyres from patch 6 to patch 8. For example, GT3 softs show green on the HUD at ~110C, but you should notice hot rear tyre oversteer on corner exit and hot front tyre understeer on corner entry.
    i7 5820k @ stock (for now) | Gigabye X99 Gaming 5P | 16GB DDR4 3000MHz @2133 (for now) | Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | Fanatec GT3 RS v1 & Clubsport Pedals | Windows 10 home| Samsung 512GB NMVe | 512GB MX100 SSD | BenQ XL2730Z
    The following user likes this Post: RomKnight

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by N0body Of The Goat View Post
    Different tyre compounds have different optimum temperatures, as do different brakes.

For example, GT3 soft slicks used to work at their best at ~90C, their brakes at ~550C. For the Formula A, soft slicks worked well at ~100C, their brakes at ~750C.

But with recent changes to the tyres especially, I don't know if that holds true any more.

What I can tell you is that the tyre HUD colour guide is completely useless right now, because it has not been calibrated with all the changes to tyres from patch 6 to patch 8. For example, GT3 softs show green on the HUD at ~110C, but you should notice hot rear tyre oversteer on corner exit and hot front tyre understeer on corner entry.
    Thanks for this explanation - do you know if there's a chart anywhere that relates to the compounds and cars in pCars? Even if it may be obsolete somewhat it may be a bit of use?
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Don Rudi, Jason PLAdoh

Platform
    PC
    Is there a charts?
    I can also do it if experts write their knowledge
    my english is horrible, sorry! STEAM PROFILE // my DIY RIG // Baseline Wheel FFB Values
    Mainboard: Rampage IV Extreme //Cpu: i7-3930k @4200 //Psu: Corsair RM750i //Ram: 4x Corsair 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 //Vga: Asus Strix Gtx970
    Wheel: Thrustmaster T300 GTE + Fanatec Clubsport pedals V3 + TH8A (h-shifter) + TH8RS (sequential) + Fanatec Handbrake

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by N0body Of The Goat View Post

Regarding the hud colour guide being not much cop at the moment,if the tyre is red is this worn out or simply overheating? Racing the caterham seven,one of the rear tyres goes red after some hard driving but slowing up doesnt tend to send it back to green again.Should we be checking the temps on the telemetry screen at the moment instead of going by the colours?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hornet66 View Post
    Regarding the hud colour guide being not much cop at the moment,if the tyre is red is this worn out or simply overheating? Racing the caterham seven,one of the rear tyres goes red after some hard driving but slowing up doesnt tend to send it back to green again.Should we be checking the temps on the telemetry screen at the moment instead of going by the colours?
    Colors are broken
    my english is horrible, sorry! STEAM PROFILE // my DIY RIG // Baseline Wheel FFB Values
    Mainboard: Rampage IV Extreme //Cpu: i7-3930k @4200 //Psu: Corsair RM750i //Ram: 4x Corsair 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 //Vga: Asus Strix Gtx970
    Wheel: Thrustmaster T300 GTE + Fanatec Clubsport pedals V3 + TH8A (h-shifter) + TH8RS (sequential) + Fanatec Handbrake

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    So the red colour doesnt signify the tyre is overheating or worn out?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hornet66 View Post
    So the red colour doesnt signify the tyre is overheating or worn out?
    yellow overheating, red is hell.

the problem is at 100 for gt3 (it is an example) they must be yellow, but now they are green until 125C. red appears around 140

Platform
    PS4
    Carbon brakes on LMP 1/2/900, Formula A/B/C/Renault and GT1 cars work well between ~600-1100c.
    I've hit 1200+ before and the engineer had a whinge but the telemetry screen brake colour stayed green.

Steel brakes of the Lotus 78 and 98T, Group C/4/5 and GT3 are strong between ~350-700c.
    Group A with steel brakes seem to bite fine at a lower temp range. Not sure though.

LMP GT1 and GT3 tyres seem strong between 90-110c. I'll regularly run them ~105c when I'm pushing or even set them up as such. Wear isn't too bad, and having them slightly warm doesn't hurt so much when track gets cooler.
    Formula A tyres are good from 105-115c. If you're not sure, I'd go by the race start temp and try to keep near it.
    The 2 compounds of Formula A and B may have different operating range but someone else will have to elaborate.
    Last edited by hkraft300; 27-01-2016 at 14:51.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamsKnight View Post
    yellow overheating, red is hell.

the problem is at 100 for gt3 (it is an example) they must be yellow, but now they are green until 125C. red appears around 140
    Cheers for that.As for being yellow i dont think ive ever seen any of my tyres yellow,only blue,green or red.How strange.