Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice required which PC would you choose (if any)?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flare View Post
    Trust me, you don't need technical knowledge to put your own together. It's easier than Lego. Everything has it's own slot or plug, everything is pretty much labled, and nearly everything goes in 1 way.

If needed, look up some assembly tutorials on Youtube, theres loads of them.

EDIT: Also, all of those PCs you listed have i7 processors. Unless you plan to do things that need hyperthreading, you don't need it, and no game (right now at least) actually utilizes what an i7 can do. An i5 would do the job just fine.

Except PCars LOVES more cores and threads!

Project Cars and TombRaiders (and many other games) recommended specs are an i7? So not sure why you say no game utilises them, they categorically "recommended" them.

PROJECT CARS RECOMMENDED SPEC
    CPU – 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 3700, 4.0 GHz AMD FX-8350
    GRAPHICS – nVidia GT600 series, AMD Radeon HD7000 series
    MEMORY – 8Gb RAM, 2Gb VRAM

RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER RECOMMENDED
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.40GHz or AMD FX-8350, 4.0Ghz
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 290x
    RAM: 8 GB RAM
    DirectX: Version 11
    Hard Disk Space: 30GB

WITCHER 3
    CPU: Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz // AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
    GPU: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770 // AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
    RAM 8GB
    OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
    DirectX 11

THE DIVISION RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION
    Supported OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 | AMD FX-8350, or better.
    RAM: 8GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 | AMD Radeon R9 290, or better – See supported List*

JUST CAUSE 3 RECOMMENDED

OS: Vista SP2, Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
    Memory: 8 GB Ram
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB) | AMD R9 290 (4GB)

The list goes on and on and on....
    Most games "recommend" an i7 and it's becoming more and more frequent as we move forward.
    Last edited by CreamyDischarge; 29-01-2016 at 09:53.

Platform
    PC
    While most recently released games do recommend an i7, it is arguable how much of a difference there is between performance of equivalent i5 and i7 processors. They really just recommend them to cover themselves from backlash, that is what recommended specs have turned into. I still think for a gaming machine an i5 with a more powerful GPU with the saved money is a more viable option today.

Now once DX12 starts to be used we might see some real difference between i5 and i7 performance, but that is still a whiles off.
    r5 2600X | Asus RX Vega 56 Strix | 16GB RAM | Fanatec CSL Elite + CSP V3 + TH8A shifter | Next Level Racing Wheel Stand

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Silraed View Post
    While most recently released games do recommend an i7, it is arguable how much of a difference there is between performance of equivalent i5 and i7 processors. They really just recommend them to cover themselves from backlash, that is what recommended specs have turned into. I still think for a gaming machine an i5 with a more powerful GPU with the saved money is a more viable option today.

Now once DX12 starts to be used we might see some real difference between i5 and i7 performance, but that is still a whiles off.
    There is a disparity between an i5 and an i7 even in PCars. Most of these games listed above rum far superior on an i7 just watch the benches at DF etc.

If he is going to drop £1349 (-15% family discount) on a PC for gaming. And TODAYS games "recommend" an i7... Well, it would be stupid to invest in an i5 for tomorrow, Imo based on my setup and my jump to an i7 from an i5 I saw a lot of improvement in many areas of gaming, particularly today's CPU heavy games such as Assasins Creed / PCars etc

We have 8 core consoles so 4+4HT makes sense moving forward. Tomb Raider is a prime example. Even a 980TI AND an i7 can't run it at 1080p 60FPS!

I'm not saying it's demanding, I'm saying it's been build from the ground up for consoles, so the port will run better with 8 threads.

Even an i3 and a 750TI can only do 13FPS on the lowest possible settings on TombRaider and I expect we will see a lot of that to come.

Check The DF review and check the 980Ti Skylake builds that benched ROTTR. They can't do constant 60FPS on very high, because this and many like it are coded specifically for 8 core consoles and are ported over. If I were him I would buy a 980TI and an i7 without question at those prices (with his 15% discount) as it's cheaper than a self build.
    Last edited by CreamyDischarge; 29-01-2016 at 10:04.
    The following user likes this Post: JohnSchoonsBeard

Maybe that will help? 6000$ rig with 20 games, real life test.

Ultimate PC RIG overview test | 20 games with overclock Titan X SLI X99

Racing is important to men who do it well. When youíre racing, itís life.
    Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

PC: COOLING: Custom full loop EKWB [GPU] EVGA GTX Titan X 2way SLI, [CPU] i7-5960X Extreme Edition, [MB] Asus Rampage V Extreme, [RAM] Kingston HyperX Predator 3000MHz DDR4 32GB, [PU]Super Flower 1600W Titanium [OS] Win10 on SSD, LCD 3x ASUS ROG SWIFT 27" 2560x1440 TN 144Hz 1ms G-sync PG278Q | Acer Predator X34 G-sync 34" 3440x1440 IPS 100Hz 4ms G-sync curva
    TX SLI Extreme 18025, 780Ti Ultra 9821

RIG: Fanatec CSW v2 | CS Pedals v2 | Porsche 918 RSR + Formula Carbon + OMP Velocita + OMP Trecento F1 + wooden Nardi + Sparco P104 + HUB + NRQ quick release | Shifter SQ v1.5 | Handbrake |ButtKicker Gamer 2 | Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Obutto r3Volution 3xLCD stand |
    Profiler V2 900/0%
    Fana sett: SENS: AUTO | FF: 100 | SHO: OFF | ABS: 70 | LIN: OFF | DEAD: OFF | DRI: 3 | FOR: 100 | SPR: 50 | DPR: OFF

Graphics: my best 3xLCD settings
    Need help setting up Project Cars graphics? Youtube tutorials for MID level PC and HIGH END PC
    Top 20 games SLI bench in 1440p and 4K

SimRace.pl - Polish community site

Proud GOLD member #5 of pCARS 2 community.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by rauf0 View Post
    Maybe that will help? 6000$ rig with 20 games, real life test.

Ultimate PC RIG overview test | 20 games with overclock Titan X SLI X99

Now that's a little over budget
    According the Nvidia, even 2 Titan X in SLI won't net you a solid 60fps on ROTTR @ 1080p :-/

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-com...erformance.png

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Thanks to all of you for the excellent advice. I think I'm going to hold off for a little while and wait for the next batch of offers my wife can get through work. I've plenty of PS4 games to be going on with so in no rush. I guess the offered packages will improve later in the year and I'll get more bang for my Buck.

Anyone got experience with requirements for editing and rendering 4K video these days? My pro video editing PC was running premiere Pro 2 editing 1080HD but it definitely won't do more than that. Just wondering how those PC's would cope. I imagine the i7 would help there.
    CRAP pCARS Club organiser

Project CARS setup: PS4 Pro, T300RS wheel, T3PA pedals, TH8A Gear stick or DS4, PSVR in large cinematic mode or UHD 55" Samsung (HDR) TV (UE55KS7000), pCARS Dash, Crew Chief, RS Dash, Sony STR DH 810 AV amp (7.1) or Turtle Beach DSS 7.1 surround processor and px22 headphones, Bluetooth keyboard.

Platform
    PC
    If you're going to be editing and rendering 4k video, get an i7.
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    I had my new system built by Scan last month, it worked out barely much more than building it myself, they did a top notch job and I had a 3 year warranty. I'd recommend this route over a self build or off the shelf model, as you get the benefits of choosing your own parts(which will be of a higher quality than those in an off the shelf model), with the security of not messing up the assembly (although its not that difficult really).

As an example, mine is of a similar spec to the HP Phoenix, only I had a 980Ti, and was £250 less

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flare View Post
    If you're going to be editing and rendering 4k video, get an i7.
    Totally worth it!

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSchoonsBeard View Post
    ....Anyone got experience with requirements for editing and rendering 4K video these days? My pro video editing PC was running premiere Pro 2 editing 1080HD but it definitely won't do more than that. Just wondering how those PC's would cope. I imagine the i7 would help there.
    Current version of Premier Pro 100% and definitely go with an beefy i7 and 16 or more gigs of RAM. My 10-15 minute 4K YT videos take around 5-7 hours to render - 4K/60fps, 2 pass encoding, high bitrate, profile on high, 5.2 level, and max render quality checked at the bottom. Work flow is record and edit at night (12am - 1am), trip off render before bed, pop up early to trip the YT upload off, and around 12pm - 1pm video is on the channel. Takes a few hours for 4K to process on YT so looking at a publish in the afternoon the next day. Best bet if you plan on uploading is working on a backlog - I tend to keep 3-4 fully processed (4K) videos on my channel private for each new video. Video quality is awesome but does take some time to get there.

*Specs in sig
    Project CARS 2 Driver Eye Youtube Playlist
    Current Rig: Monitor: Sharp 42" LED | VR: Oculus Rift CV1 | CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz | GPU:STRIX 1080TI OC | MB: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING | Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + WD BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3200MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: EVGA 850W G2 80+GOLD
    Hardware: Wheel: FAN PC HUB | Pedals: FAN V2 | Rim: FAN GT US