Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Working Wireless Dashboard NO PC. 'Basic' V1.0

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Talk about over complicating something...

I've been thinking about ignition and start switches for the bluetooth buttonbox..

I've got a 'missile fire' type toggle switch, like alot of peeps have got, but resetting it automatically after re-starting the game/session, is difficult because the button box doesn't know what the game is doing. At best a servo cud be used to 'poke' the cover back, but a) its got a very strong spring, and b) you'd be forcing the servo to open the cover, which is wrong...

I also like the idea of a key, but that's the same problem as above..

So.. Came up with the idea of using a rotary encoder instead.. I have one that's transparent with RGB LEDs inside, that illuminate the knob, AND it has a switch if you push the knob down..
    Turn right for ignition ON, left OFF, just like a key.. Press down to start. All the pro's without any of the reset issues..

Sounds great, and I get to make a 'throbbing' start button..

Only a couple of problems now..
    The bluetooth keyboard chip isn't programmable like an Arduino, but can receive serial data.... And it STILL doesn't know what the game is doing... ?!?!

In comes another processor to run the encoder and associated LED's, then send the 'key strokes' / button presses serially to the bluetooth chip, which then sends out to the PS...

Now getting the game data to it.. I could replicate the code used to decide whats going on, and add another WiFi chip to the party, but that's too much code for an Arduino and another 15 for the Wifi..

Today I built a daughter board for the 'black box' that adds a 2.4Ghz radio chip. NOT Wifi protocol, just 2.4Ghz (bit like a 2.4Ghz RC radio)
    because it costs 1.80, NOT 15..

I'm currently coding it, but should end up with a bluetooth button box that has a radio link to the dash and wirelessly turned the button box lights on/off, etc..

What a faff...

That's 3 processors now, a Wifi chip and 2x 2.4G radio too... Busy innit...

I haven't got pics yet, but is this the sort of thing that turns you on.. ??

Luv
    Chrisie.. xx

Platform
    PC
    Hey Chrisie, do you get my pm?
    Put the pedal to the metal
    PSN/Steam/etc. ID: memoric77 | http://www.virtualracing.org/
    PS4 | SAMSUNG 55" UE55F6500 & Oculus Rift CV1 | Playseat Challenge + DIY Bodyshaker, ButtonboxV3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A79LLmI4IBY|
    FANATEC CSP V2 + CSP V2 PEDAL + TM TH8A SHIFTER

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclicscooby View Post
    Talk about over complicating something...

I've been thinking about ignition and start switches for the bluetooth buttonbox..

I've got a 'missile fire' type toggle switch, like alot of peeps have got, but resetting it automatically after re-starting the game/session, is difficult because the button box doesn't know what the game is doing. At best a servo cud be used to 'poke' the cover back, but a) its got a very strong spring, and b) you'd be forcing the servo to open the cover, which is wrong...

I also like the idea of a key, but that's the same problem as above..

So.. Came up with the idea of using a rotary encoder instead.. I have one that's transparent with RGB LEDs inside, that illuminate the knob, AND it has a switch if you push the knob down..
    Turn right for ignition ON, left OFF, just like a key.. Press down to start. All the pro's without any of the reset issues..

Sounds great, and I get to make a 'throbbing' start button..

Only a couple of problems now..
    The bluetooth keyboard chip isn't programmable like an Arduino, but can receive serial data.... And it STILL doesn't know what the game is doing... ?!?!

In comes another processor to run the encoder and associated LED's, then send the 'key strokes' / button presses serially to the bluetooth chip, which then sends out to the PS...

Now getting the game data to it.. I could replicate the code used to decide whats going on, and add another WiFi chip to the party, but that's too much code for an Arduino and another 15 for the Wifi..

Today I built a daughter board for the 'black box' that adds a 2.4Ghz radio chip. NOT Wifi protocol, just 2.4Ghz (bit like a 2.4Ghz RC radio)
    because it costs 1.80, NOT 15..

I'm currently coding it, but should end up with a bluetooth button box that has a radio link to the dash and wirelessly turned the button box lights on/off, etc..

What a faff...

That's 3 processors now, a Wifi chip and 2x 2.4G radio too... Busy innit...

I haven't got pics yet, but is this the sort of thing that turns you on.. ??

Luv
    Chrisie.. xx
    Why don t you use temporary toogle switch for ignition? On my button box, I have succesfully assigned one like this for ignition and a normal button for start but the problem is, with this game, you begin (almost) all the sessions with the engine already started so these two buttons are quite useless...

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fre.Mo View Post
    Why don t you use temporary toogle switch for ignition? On my button box, I have successfully assigned one like this for ignition and a normal button for start but the problem is, with this game, you begin (almost) all the sessions with the engine already started so these two buttons are quite useless...

I've thought about it, but it's just not 'real' car.. A couple of times, without thinking, i've stalled and gone to turn a key, like the real car, so it's that I really want to replicate..

I've contemplated using posh push buttons for both, but the only ones I like are 22 EACH.. !!!

My favourite track for a ragging is California Highway, in a Mustang GT, so I do use ignition and start... All part of the experience, but I appreciate ignition is not useful on most of the tracks..

Don't you fancy a 'Throbbing' start button, or is it all getting too much now...

I've still got the option of 7-seg or bar graph damage display, tyre wear etc, but to be honest, it's all for show, cuz I only see the shift light when i'm driving..

I'll get some pics up, when I have a decent signal.. All opinions welcome, good or bad..

Luv
    Chrisie.. xx
    The following 2 users likes this Post: memoric77, mys3lf

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    This all looks very impressive and I have to say I would be interested in some form of display on my rig even if its just a shift light as the ones on the interior view are just rubbish. Do you have any plans to build more and do you find there is any lag between whats actually happening in-game and what the dash says? I'm only asking as it looks really fast and when I use PcarsDash app on my tablet there is a very annoying lag which I cannot get rig of.

Awesome work though mate

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Hi tmitch45..

I am planning on making more as it happens... I still have to fully test it in all game modes, as for some reason, there's no simple 'you're now driving' flag to activate the dash. The flags change depending on race type, tracks, cars, etc.. Endless, and a pain in the.... Not helped by me just liking to rag the same car up the same track over an over, without trying online options, etc.. so I've gotta try all that incase it's different..

Also, the network name and password are hardcoded into the chip (2 slots available) which is OK for me, and friends, but you won't want to send me yours, so I need to add a setup switch to allow a webpage network setup on http//:0.0.0.0

There are still a couple of glitches too, but the basics are there..
    It's now active during Replays, which is cool, BUT... I found out that the PS doesn't send T's and P's during the replay, so they don't work, but the rest does..
    The Odo now likes new cars with 0.0 miles, and the fuel gauge has 'mostly' stopped glitching..

I also want to add options, like do you want the shift lights to do the blue flashy thing they do now, or flash the whole strip ANY colour you like (they're all RGB Leds).. Speedo display in Mph OR Kph, etc.... Add a 2.8" touch screen instead of the little non-touch 1.5" Oled...

I like coding, so can't stop faffing with it, even tho friends are suggesting I polish this and sell it as is.. ?!

Regarding lag...
    There is NO lag at all.. The rev counter is a cheap 33 one off ebay, and is quite damped, but acceptable. the speed and shift are spot on tho.. Especially the Formula cars with a big shift light in the on-screen wheel, they match perfectly, and are even the same colours..

If you watch the second video, the 'walk thru', (6mins 8secs) I focus in on the tv screen speedo, so you can see both it and mine together.. In fact mine reaches zero Mph a fraction BEFORE the screen.. !!
    (Have you killed all the background apps on your tab.? Could be running slow cuz of that.. )

The processors in my rig run at only 96Mhz and 120Mhz BUT have nothing else to do but push the UDP. The serial link between the two is the slowest part of the data tranfer at 115200 baud, but it all runs seamlessly with the UDP set to 6 on PS.. (will probably run to 2-3, but untested at mo)

How much do you think this is worth..?? or more to the point, how much would YOU pay for it.. ??

I know how much it cost me at full retail, and it isn't cheap, but perhaps if there is enough interest, I could look into a bit of bulk buying.. ( I'm a poor truck driver, not a millionairre )

Luv
    Chrisie.. xx

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Would you be interested in the perspex 'bridge' aswell.. ??

I knocked it up from some scrap I had, just for my rig, but it could be replicated and modified for a table or similar.. ???

Just exploring avenues..

Luv
    Chrisie.. xx

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclicscooby View Post
    Would you be interested in the perspex 'bridge' aswell.. ??

I knocked it up from some scrap I had, just for my rig, but it could be replicated and modified for a table or similar.. ???

Just exploring avenues..

Luv
    Chrisie.. xx
    wow thats complicated and I don't understand a lot of the technical things you are talking about but all I can say is what you have achieved is great especially if its for PS4. In terms of selling this as a product I guess it all depends what customers want so maybe you could look at some form of survey to gauge opinion. I guess you will sell the magic black box and then either people you add their own stuff to that i.e. dials, shift light or you could offer packages. The main thing that would interest me would be either a large shift light or a progressive LED one (like in f1 steering wheels).

Next time i use PCARs dash I'll make sure all other apps are off. As for pricing I guess you now how much time you have invested and how much each unit would cost and therefore any profit you would build into this. If it was me I would also look at the stuff thats available for PC and what that costs. I guy I used to race with now makes button boxes and has a youtube and twitch channel where he broadcasts racing and sells his products so anything is possible!

Thanks for the reply and good luck.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Hi Guys..

Network question...

I've got to admit to not knowing much about network / WiFi protocols etc.. I use my phones hotspot as my Internet and haven't had much experience with routers.. ( I know.. !! )

So.. Question is..

Do most of you use a WPA2 PSK security setup on your router's...?

Do you just need a network name (ssid) and password to access your network? Or do you NEED static IP and DCHP stuff..?

I ask because, I've added a small button to the dash for setting up network details..
    If pressed immediately after power up, it turns the WiFi in the dashboard into an Access Point (hotspot).

You then connect to the new AP/network called 'dashWifiSetup' on a PC, Tablet, or phone, using password 'password'.

Open your browser and goto https://10.1.1.1 and you'll find a Web page (entirely inside the dashboard, not the internet) where you enter your ssid and password.
    Once confirmed, your details are saved to EEPROM.

Turn the dash Off and On again, DON'T press the setup button, and it logs on to your network automatically..

You only need to do it once, it remembers your details forever, or until you change them.

If you change your home network settings, just repeat the process... It even pre-fills the network name box, with the strongest available network it can see..

I'll get some pics up, if that doesn't make sense, but long story short,

You can now setup your secure network details yourself, securely offline, without me knowing, or hardcoding into each dashboard.

Love to know from as many peeps as possible if ssid and password are enough...

Luv Chrisie.. xx

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Ok, just had a chat with someone about routers n stuff..

The dash does NOT need to access the www, just get onto your network, so it shouldn't ever need an IP..

That sound right..??

Luv Chrisie..