Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penalty for contact?

Platform
    PC

Penalty for contact?

After being slammed off the track after making a clean pass (for the 1,000,000th time), there should totally be a penalty for purposeful contact with another car. One person gets to ruin the race for many others. Not to mention, as someone who doesn't use driving aids; getting pit maneuvered by someone who does use them, always favors the aided. Speed penalties for car to car contact will inevitably force people to drive more conscientiously

Speed penalties for using run-off areas on the track being called as "track cutting" discourages people from using them and causing more car to car collisions.

A penalty would be nice, but I think the problem is how the game would decide whether contact is on purpose or accidental.
    CPU i7 2600K | RAM 16GB 1600MHz | GPU GTX1070 8GB + GTX780 3Gb (PhysX)| Audio Xonar Phoebus @ 5.1 | OS Win 7 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box
    Texture Res HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON | AA DSX6 | Reflections HIGH | EnvMap HIGH | Vehicle ULTRA | Track ULTRA | Shadows HIGH | Motion Blur OFF | Particle Quality HIGH | Particle Density HIGH | Crepuscular Rays ON | Heat Haze OFF | Stretched Headlights ON | Detailed Grass OFF
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway. || With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Not really e.g. iRacing contact is contact everyone does their best to avoid it. I think in 20 or so road races someone touched my car gently twice. I hope Pcars 2 has some kind of system because public races are mainly 99% trash. Which is a real shame.. to easy to make risky moves or block on purpose using contact. Something simple like Amateur & Pro lobbies with some kind of filter and the host has option to choose? Someone also made a script to kick racers from a weekend session with x amount of contact/cutting corners... anything is a start in all honesty. There is also a script knocking about to kick racers who idle on start line, these are all things SMS should have implemented in all honesty.

Most accidents are caused by the horrible starting lights which half the racers jump(and get away with) and half don't I'd rather see an AC approach if this cannot be fixed and no one can use gears until green.. not the best but would stop half the stupidness at first corner.
    Last edited by binarywarrior; 10-03-2016 at 14:10.

Quote Originally Posted by binarywarrior View Post
    Not really e.g. iRacing contact is contact everyone does their best to avoid it. I think in 20 or so road races someone touched my car gently twice.
    IMO that's not really realistic, as (light) contact is perfectly fine in many real-life racing series. And contact it avoided by drivers naturally if it has a big risk of damaging your car (e.g. in open-wheelers). I really don't mind some door handle rubbing as long as damage and collision physics are decent.
    CPU i7 2600K | RAM 16GB 1600MHz | GPU GTX1070 8GB + GTX780 3Gb (PhysX)| Audio Xonar Phoebus @ 5.1 | OS Win 7 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box
    Texture Res HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON | AA DSX6 | Reflections HIGH | EnvMap HIGH | Vehicle ULTRA | Track ULTRA | Shadows HIGH | Motion Blur OFF | Particle Quality HIGH | Particle Density HIGH | Crepuscular Rays ON | Heat Haze OFF | Stretched Headlights ON | Detailed Grass OFF
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway. || With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Remco Van Dijk View Post
    IMO that's not really realistic, as (light) contact is perfectly fine in many real-life racing series. And contact it avoided by drivers naturally if it has a big risk of damaging your car (e.g. in open-wheelers). I really don't mind some door handle rubbing as long as damage and collision physics are decent.
    Which, unfortunately, they are not in Project CARS.

Trying a pass which involves door-to-door contact results in the two cars gluing together an unacceptably high proportion of the time.
    Wheel: Thrustmaster T300RS with Ferrari F1 Rim
    Pedals: G27 Seat: Playseat Revolution GT PSN: chig88
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Don Rudi, Gehzilla

Platform
    PS4
    +1 for the option to be able to race in Ghost Mode

We'll grind that axe for a long time... Darrell "Dimebag" Lance Abbott, August 20 August 1966 8 December 2004
    Chi Ling Dai Cheng, 15 July 1970 13 April 2013
    Henry John Surtees, 18 February 1991 - 19 July 2009
    PSN: DiamondEyes179

Quote Originally Posted by chig88 View Post
    Which, unfortunately, they are not in Project CARS.

Trying a pass which involves door-to-door contact results in the two cars gluing together an unacceptably high proportion of the time.
    I agree, but that wasn't the discussion topic

Platform
    PC
    I agree that some contact is unavoidable, but slamming into the back of another car because you decided to brake 70 yards too late should be unacceptable. Perhaps ghosting the incoming car at a certain point if speeds are >10 mph or something.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptyochromis View Post
    After being slammed off the track after making a clean pass (for the 1,000,000th time), there should totally be a penalty for purposeful contact with another car. One person gets to ruin the race for many others. Not to mention, as someone who doesn't use driving aids; getting pit maneuvered by someone who does use them, always favors the aided. Speed penalties for car to car contact will inevitably force people to drive more conscientiously

Speed penalties for using run-off areas on the track being called as "track cutting" discourages people from using them and causing more car to car collisions.
    I agree it's a big problem.

In order to try to reduce then incidence of this I always have full damage on as it's a deterrent.

As for a solution there should be a ranking system based on ALL contact. Individuals setting up servers could decide on whether to use it as a filter and at what level . Clean drivers would naturally achieve a good ranking over time despite the chrashers.
    Also a higher ranking should mean a higher personal damage multiplier.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptyochromis View Post
    I agree that some contact is unavoidable, but slamming into the back of another car because you decided to brake 70 yards too late should be unacceptable. Perhaps ghosting the incoming car at a certain point if speeds are >10 mph or something.
    I agree with the idea of ghosting when there's a massive speed difference, but your example can be flawed.

I've gone flying into the backs of many drivers who brake a few million years too early.
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

Gaming System 3rd Generation Intel Core Processor I5 3570k @ 4.2ghz (Corsair H60), Asus P8z77-v LX, 640gb WD Caviar Blue Primary, 1tb WD Caviar Green Data/Backup, 1tb Toshiba Tertiary backup, 8gb Corsair Dominator 1333mhz DDR3 (@1600mhz), Galaxy 4gb Geforce 680GTX
    New Blackberry Playbook Charger/Project Box Acer 3613LCI (Celeron M 370 1.5ghz, 2gb ram, 40gb hdd) Windows XP
    Wheels: Fanatec GT3 RS V2 (RIP) Logitech Driving Force GT (RIP)
    Thrustmaster T150 Ferrari Edition
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Sony Dualshock 3

SteamID:Shin321

SBJS Team Driver in NCS PC Division