Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 251

Thread: The opinion of a champion driver on PCARS

  1. #21
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Capetown
    Posts
    113
    People's opinions are always interesting, although at the bottom of the 'feature' it does carry the disclaimer

    Advertisement

    I did not know he had raced/tested a Mclaren at Bathurst, but he did come 19th in French 2015 GT3 in an Audi R8 ultra so he certainly has enough experience to comment

    and has been said, getting the best results out of a (any) driving sim is sadly not as simple as installing it and switching it on, PCars is very guilty as well in this aspect

    Cheers Dakpilot
    Last edited by Dakpilot; 14-03-2016 at 13:41.
    i5 3570k @ 4.46ghz H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//Win10 64bit//
    The following 2 users likes this Post: IJOJOI, leon1772


  2. #22
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    146
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cluck View Post
    Indeed. It's like trying to argue that one variety of apple is better than another. By all means state why you think your favourite variety of apple is your favourite, but don't try and tell me that my choice of flavour is wrong or that my apple doesn't taste like an apple - or that it isn't a 'real' apple because it's a mixed variety type. We are both eating apples and we are both enjoying them. Life really is too short to argue over something as petty as one's choice of apple and so it is with one's choice of racing sim/game.
    You're missing the point though.

    A lot of sim racers get off on the fact that what they are playing is as realistic as possible. The idea that the game replicates real life exactly is important to them because it indicates to them that IRL they would be a successful racing driver too if they are successful at the game.

    It's not enough for most sim racers to be good at or enjoy the game for what it is.

    That's why the collective opinion of what is the best/most realistic/accurate sim is important to a sim racer. Because if a sim racer succeeds at that sim, he or she is the best in a sim that replicates the real world as close as possible, and therefore is the best at the closest thing that exists to being a real racing driver.

    I don't trust peoples opinions who are paid to provide input. Someone who is paid to provide input of course is going to say their sim is the best, because a) they are paid and b) if they say their sim is no good then they are not doing their job properly. The only ones I would trust are independents, and again a lot of these have their own agenda.

    I like PCars for what it is. It's a fun game. I'm not qualified to say whether or not it is a good/the best sim or not. I don't really care either way. But there are a lot of people that do, and its important to recognise that mindset, especially as a developer, even if you don't subscribe to it.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: NoBrakes, rev happy


  3. #23
    WMD Member Jussi Viljami Karjalainen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,277
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrien Lopes View Post
    Not really. The only thing he says about physics is "I can do more things in PC at Bathurst with the McLaren than I could IRL. Because the car is more stable and has more grip".
    Hmmm, I wonder. I just downloaded the 2015 2:01.XXX McLaren 650S GT3 qualifying lap from YT and compared that to a 2:03 McLaren lap from pCARS (which isn't the record but best I could find right now) via a video editing software, put both videos side by side and played them together, and what I saw kind of contradicts that. The cars were exactly the same speed down the straights, they both handled the straights in the same time to within such a small margin that it barely matters. But the real life McLaren GT3 car constantly pulled ahead in corners and always looked more settled in every corner and situation.

    So I don't know, maybe his McLaren when he drove it was on worse tyres or set up badly, but at least the 2015 car seems to have very similar, or possibly even more grip and stability on Bathurst than the pCARS car. The biggest gains were made on the braking zones and in the corners.

    Of course the 650S benefits from some aero upgrades compared to the 12C, but the overall performance level of GT3 cars hasn't had a dramatic sharp rise in recent years around the world, though Bathurst times have come tumbling down (probably down to local BoP to some extent).
    Last edited by Jussi Viljami Karjalainen; 14-03-2016 at 13:57.
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

    My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

    My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

    Suspension Calculator now available on the P.CARS Setups Database website!

    Next Gen = More Biscuit!
    The following 6 users likes this Post: Adrien Lopes, Konan, Leper Messiah, NoBrakes, RimanDk, Shinzah


  4. #24
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    130
    Platform
    PC
    We are in front of champions on this forum. Even without givin a clue of what he said, and even read what he said, this man is wrong.
    For you to understand. For him :
    1. PCARS amazing with night, rain, an graphically ahead. Quantity of cars and tracks ahead also. When you play it is more beautifull and more imersive than AC at first.
    2. AC is more quality on cars, track than quantity. That the point he consider more SIM.
    3. PCARS more accesible to everybody because you can put a lot of assists on. Whereas you are beginner you can play PCARS.
    4. With his wheel, it worked first with AC but needed assist to make the config of his wheel work on PCars.
    He feels more to train on AC maybe for realism but go on PCars when the content is not in AC.

  5. #25
    WMD Member Jussi Viljami Karjalainen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,277
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by FR-Alan View Post
    2. AC is more quality on cars
    I'm not really convinced about that. I know pCARS has many peculiarities, but I've seen nothing that shows AC has less of them, just often in different places, and some of the things they've done with the setups of the car are very annoying to me because they made the setup so locked down that you can't even try to fix them (like Zonda R using almost the wrong order of magnitude for springs, almost none of the GT3 cars having gearboxes with gear ratios matching homologation documents etc.). Both have their good points, both have their bad points.
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @ 4,6 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce 3 | MOBO: ASUS P8P67 Pro | RAM: 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 | Sound: ASUS Xonar U7 | PSU: NZXT HALE90 650W 80+ Gold | OS: Win8 x64 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T500 RS GT wheel/pedals, Logitech G25 shifter | Monitor: 2x23" IPS-LCD 1920x1080 60Hz & 42" 1920x1080 60Hz | SpeedTest | PingTest | PingTest to UK
    Sim history: IndyCar Racing I & II, F1GP2, Grand Prix Legends, Sports Car GT, Richard Burns Rally, GT Legends, Race/GT-R Evolution/Race On/etc., RaceRoom Racing Experience, SimRaceWay, Live For Speed, netKar Pro, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 & 2, among others...

    My road car OEM style setups (updated occasionally when I find new info) over at P.CARS Setups Database

    My Suspension Calculator spreadsheet for Project CARS v1.3.5.2 - Updated on 16.10.2016!

    Suspension Calculator now available on the P.CARS Setups Database website!

    Next Gen = More Biscuit!
    The following 4 users likes this Post: bmanic, Leper Messiah, NoBrakes, RimanDk


  6. #26
    Moderator Sankyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,119
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFred View Post
    You're missing the point though.

    A lot of sim racers get off on the fact that what they are playing is as realistic as possible. The idea that the game replicates real life exactly is important to them because it indicates to them that IRL they would be a successful racing driver too if they are successful at the game.

    It's not enough for most sim racers to be good at or enjoy the game for what it is.

    That's why the collective opinion of what is the best/most realistic/accurate sim is important to a sim racer. Because if a sim racer succeeds at that sim, he or she is the best in a sim that replicates the real world as close as possible, and therefore is the best at the closest thing that exists to being a real racing driver.

    I don't trust peoples opinions who are paid to provide input. Someone who is paid to provide input of course is going to say their sim is the best, because a) they are paid and b) if they say their sim is no good then they are not doing their job properly. The only ones I would trust are independents, and again a lot of these have their own agenda.

    I like PCars for what it is. It's a fun game. I'm not qualified to say whether or not it is a good/the best sim or not. I don't really care either way. But there are a lot of people that do, and its important to recognise that mindset, especially as a developer, even if you don't subscribe to it.
    The problem is that many hardcore simracers know zip about physics and realism, but are very loud about it. So no matter what you do as a developer, there's always a hardcore sim racer saying your game is crap because of some silly argument. Of all people, hardcore sim racers have the biggest blinders on and display extreme fanboy behaviour. As a game developer, I'd pay no attention at all to their opinions about realism.

    But that's just my personal opinion.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

    With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think
    The following 9 users likes this Post: Adrien Lopes, bmanic, Konan, Leper Messiah, NoBrakes, rocho, Sampo, Shinzah, Thomas Sikora


  7. #27
    Superkart Pilot E_Luckow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    603
    Platform
    PC
    Very "good post", with the intention of setting fire all around.

    The best place for this crap would be in the AC foruns, or RD...places where bashing PCars is "cool".
    CPU Intel i7 7700k GPU GTX 1070 Windforce Logitech G29 Windows 10 64 bits 16Gb RAM Just one screen...no VR
    Keep Fighting
    Sim racer since GTR2
    Once something is a passion, the motivation is there.

  8. #28
    WMD Member Shinzah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,259
    Platform
    PC
    Bashing videogames for almost any reason is pretty uncool, imho...
    Self Proclaimed Captain of the WMD Debate team. Unofficial WMD spellchecker. I once corrected The Stig!

    Gaming System ASUS FX502VM Gaming Laptop
    7700HQ i7
    6gb 1060 GTX
    8GB DDR4L
    1TB 7200RPM Primary HDD
    1TB WD Passport Backup HDD
    Wheels: Fanatec GT3 RS V2 (RIP) Logitech Driving Force GT (RIP)
    Thrustmaster T150 Ferrari Edition
    CSR Elite Pedals
    Xbox One Controller

    SteamID:Shin321
    The following user likes this Post: Konan


  9. #29
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    146
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Remco Van Dijk View Post
    The problem is that many hardcore simracers know zip about physics and realism, but are very loud about it. So no matter what you do as a developer, there's always a hardcore sim racer saying your game is crap because of some silly argument. Of all people, hardcore sim racers have the biggest blinders on and display extreme fanboy behaviour. As a game developer, I'd pay no attention at all to their opinions about realism.

    But that's just my personal opinion.
    This is true.

    It's hard to find a qualified opinion. For example, a sim racer may have never driven a real car. That said, maybe a real racer that evaluates the sim hasn't set up the wheel properly. Just because someone races IRL, doesn't mean that they are good at evaluating a sim or that they are actually good IRL (some of them race because they are rich rather than because they are good). IME a real racer is likely to be the person who actually has least interest in evaluating the sim and spending hours getting the settings right, that of course vary massively from game to game.

    All you can do is look at the collective and hope that the wisdom of the crowd gets it right. Even if it doesn't, then going with what the majority believe is the best is likely to get you the most "sim racer" respect. Which is what a lot of sim racers are after anyway.

    Of course once you have decided on your "best sim" as a sim racer it's in your best interest to go out and rubbish everything else.
    The following user likes this Post: IJOJOI


  10. #30
    WMD Member RimanDk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    262
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzah View Post
    Bashing videogames for almost any reason is pretty uncool, imho...
    And yet an incredibly popular passtime =)

    Computer
    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 5 | CPU Intel Core i7-4790K @4 GHz, Turbo @ 4.40GHz | RAM Kingston HyperX Predator Beast 2x 8GB DDR3 @2200MHz CL11-13-14 | Graphics 2x Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING 4Gb in SLI | Sound ASUS Xonas Essence STX | OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    Hardware
    Rig Obutto r3volution | Screens 3x 24" Eizo Foris FS2434-BK @ 5840 x 1080 | Earphones BeyerDynamic DT770 - BeyerDynamic DT990 | Wheel bases Fanatec CSW v2 - Fanatec CSW v1 - Fanatec CSR Elite | Rims BMW rim (2100g, 320mm) - Formula rim (1210g, 2800mm) - Universal Hub + QSP flat touring 300 leather (1600g, 300mm) - Universal Hub + OMP corsica alcantara (1600g, 320mm) | Pedals Heusinkveld Engineering Sim Pedals Pro - Fanatec CSR Elite

    Racing experience
    PC Project Cars - NFS Shift 2 - NFS Shift - NFS Pro Street | Assetto Corsa | Raceroom Racing Experience - Race 07 with all expansions - GTR 2 - GTR - GT Legends | F1 2011 - F1 2010 - Dirt 3 | Next Car Game | GRID AutoSport | Juiced | Viper Racing
    Xbox Forza 4 - Forza Horizon - Forza 3 PS3 Gran Turismo 5 - Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Ferrari Challenge, Trofeo Pirelli

    Need a setup? http://projectcarssetups.eu/ - My setups: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/byuser/RimanDk - Jussi's (OEM) setups: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/byuser/Jussi
    Everything about the setups website here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ll-your-setups
    The following 3 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, Konan, Shinzah


Similar Threads

  1. " defending champion " trophy? What tier is the fastest?
    By 0racle in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-05-2017, 17:18
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-01-2016, 03:44
  3. Nvidia driver downgrade graphics in pCars!
    By kacperflak in forum PC - Technical Help & Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-12-2015, 21:10
  4. [SOLVED]PCars FFB driver for Thrustmaster T100 Wheel
    By whosrdaddy in forum PC - Technical Help & Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2015, 21:45
  5. pCARS 2.0: Boss Mustang Handling Woes (real-life Mustang GT driver)
    By CCS86 in forum PC - Technical Help & Support
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 08-07-2015, 21:52

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •